2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

5 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Why are we rationalizing one idiot mistake over another? Can we go back to the time where if someone was an idiot, they were an idiot, not ranking the levels of idiocy.

If you drunk drive, you're a damn idiot.

If you text and drive, you're a damn idiot.

Now back to football.

Where does Tinder and driving fall? Damn idiot who loves the ladies? 

5 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

I think some folks are a little touchy about Peters because they were wrong about him. He wasn't as coveted as some would have you think because he played undisciplined defense.  He made a lot of big plays, but also surrendered a lot of big plays. 

First, you don't know the interest level of other teams.  Remember when everybody was pissed off about us not trying to get Gonzalez?  How long did it take for us as fans to realize that we WERE trying to get Gonzalez and that the Chiefs literally screwed us out of a trade we agreed upon?  Do not take the reports of only two teams being interested as Gospel.  Especially considering there are conflicting reports on whether or not the Browns were interested.  It's just not factual.  We didn't know that we tried getting Lynch until long after.  We still don't even know what the Rams gave up for Peters, so once again, let's settle down on the claims that no other teams were interested.

As far as Peters making a lot of plays, that's an oversimplification.  No player has more interceptions, no player has more passes defended since Peters entered the league.  None.  Not only does he have more than anybody else over that time, he has SEVEN MORE INTERCEPTIONS since 2015 than any other player.  The only player IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL to have more interceptions over their first three years?  Ed Reed.  Ed Reed is an automatic first ballot hall of fame player. 

And what about passer rating?  If Peters gave up so many big plays, the passer rating would kinda even out, right?  Incorrect.  Only one player since 2015 has allowed a lower passer rating when quarterbacks throw in his direction.  That's Bouye for the Jaguars.  Peters is second lowest in passer rating allowed in the league since he entered.  He is NOT giving up the big plays people suggest he is. 

Chiefs fans are pissed off about this trade.  Marcus Peters is heading towards a Hall of Fame career. 

People are all hung up on one case of bad behavior last year.  Damarious Randall was benched for us this year for similar behavior, yet nobody wants us to cut him.  Why?  Because he's a Packer.  Charles Woodson acted like this, too.  He wouldn't let McCarthy coach him, he got pissed off when we went from Favre to Rodgers, he didn't even want to come here, and that's just stuff that happened after he was a Raider for X amount of years.  How is he remembered?  As fondly as any defensive back to play here since most of us have been alive, that's how he's remembered. 

I'm going to continue enjoying watching Marcus Peters dominate as a playmaker while wishing we would have been willing to send just a little bit more in a trade than the Rams while the rest of you miss out on a Hall of Fame career because you're too busy damning behavior you wouldn't think twice about if it came from a Green Bay Packer. 

I just think it's funny how people think that teams are calling up guys like Schefter and Twitter tweeters to specifically tell them they weren't interested in Peters. 

Gute - "Yeah, is this Adam Schefter?"
Adam - "It sure is, Gute the Tute, what can I do for you?"
Gute - "Say, I just wanted to give you a call to tell you we did NOT try to trade for Peters."
Adam - "Okay, sure thing, Gute.  I'll make sure everybody, including Peters, knows that you didn't want him.  You play the Rams in LA or wherever they're playing in 2018, right?"
Gute - "Yep, we sure are.  We don't want a CB who is on an all-time great interception pace on our team.  I want you to know that, and I want the world to know it."
Adam - "Sure thing, revving up Twitter now."

It just doesn't make any sense.  What does make sense is for the Chiefs, who just traded away Peters, to tell people that nobody was interested in Peters in order to excuse getting so little for a player of his talent level.

I have been saying it for as long as I've been here... When teams know a player is on the trade block, their value decreases.  When a player asks for or demands a trade, their value gets even lower.  Peters asked for a trade after the Titans playoff loss.  His value was not going to be high because of that just as much as any value hit he took from his actions in the middle of a 1-6 losing streak. 

7 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

One other thing....don't sign T Johnson either.  The Rams panicked and over paid for him with the tag, his PFF scores aren't very good.  I would offer that he is over rated.

Depends on how he'd be utilized.  Johnson rates out very well in press, and not so well off-ball.  I do think Johnson's contract will land north of what GB would pay.  There's never a shortage of teams in need of CB help.

My issue with Tru is that he's been franchised twice, so he's 28. If he's willing to take a 3 year deal, I'm all ears. If we structure that deal where the cap hit is high but dead cap low in that 4th year? I'm all ears.

I just don't want a situation where we're in that 4-5th year, he's 32-33 and we're stuck with a decent sized bonus leftover and his play has deteriorated with age.

Johnson is legit out of the press though. No issues with him here in the immediate future.

Yes, I agree that a 3-year commitment is the only way to go with Johnson.  Of course he knows that teams will be gunning for that type of deal, and he'll be looking for the team that will commit to 5 years.  That's where I think (hope) GB would fall out of the running.

3 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'm going to continue enjoying watching Marcus Peters dominate as a playmaker while wishing we would have been willing to send just a little bit more in a trade than the Rams while the rest of you miss out on a Hall of Fame career because you're too busy damning behavior you wouldn't think twice about if it came from a Green Bay Packer.

I mean, players as talented as Marcus Peters generally don't come available very often.  Does it not come off as a red flag if the Chiefs are willing to deal him?

Just now, CWood21 said:

I mean, players as talented as Marcus Peters generally don't come available very often.  Does it not come off as a red flag if the Chiefs are willing to deal him?

Yes, because he asked to be traded.  He didn't want to play for the Chiefs anymore.  I don't blame him.

I get upset about two things:

1. People acting like teams wouldn't take Peters.

2. People acting like it's an absolute fact that only two teams inquired.  It's not true.  When teams sign players like Haynesworth and Owens and Hardy, they're not balking at trading for a guy who threw a temper tantrum and asked to be traded.  Especially when that player is an all-time elite playmaker. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Yes, because he asked to be traded.  He didn't want to play for the Chiefs anymore.  I don't blame him.

I get upset about two things:

1. People acting like teams wouldn't take Peters.

2. People acting like it's an absolute fact that only two teams inquired.  It's not true.  When teams sign players like Haynesworth and Owens and Hardy, they're not balking at trading for a guy who threw a temper tantrum and asked to be traded.  Especially when that player is an all-time elite playmaker. 

Not every team is willing to put up with the antics that Peters has done so far.  I think you're getting upset with that first point because it differs from your opinion.  Nobody is denying that Peters is tremendously talented, but he's a nutcase.  Not every team wants that on their team.

I think the second one goes into that common sense thing.  I'm sure every other 30 teams inquired in on him.  Those were probably the only two serious suitors.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Not every team is willing to put up with the antics that Peters has done so far.  I think you're getting upset with that first point because it differs from your opinion.  Nobody is denying that Peters is tremendously talented, but he's a nutcase.  Not every team wants that on their team.

I think the second one goes into that common sense thing.  I'm sure every other 30 teams inquired in on him.  Those were probably the only two serious suitors.

I'm not saying all 31 other teams wanted him.  I'm saying if the price was right, all 31 other teams would have taken him.  For a seventh round pick, for example, is there a single team that has the cap space that wouldn't have made that trade? 

There isn't a single GM or team out there that didn't find out the price by directly contacting the Chiefs or hearing the price from someone else. 

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

I'll reserve judgment on lamenting GB not landing (or presumably even pursuing) Peters until I know what LAR gave up to get him.  All signs point to Peters being a serious head case, which I am not sure I would want anywhere around Randall.

Like I pointed out before... Marcus Peters is 7 months older than Randall.  If Randall is that impressionable that a dude 7 months older than him is a mentor figure whom he would look up to and emulate, I don't think I want Randall anyway. 

10 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'm not saying all 31 other teams wanted him.  I'm saying if the price was right, all 31 other teams would have taken him.  For a seventh round pick, for example, is there a single team that has the cap space that wouldn't have made that trade? 

There isn't a single GM or team out there that didn't find out the price by directly contacting the Chiefs or hearing the price from someone else. 

I'm not sure why anyone is taking an ESPN report as gospel.  Sure, they probably all reached out to Kansas City and I'd bet that majority of them found the price tag to be too high.

Archived