2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

The lost Maclin, they replaced Maclin with the guy with the most similar skillset, Agholor.

Chip is a lot like Dom. Here's my scheme and the players I need in it. Instead of evaluating his WR's and finding the best ways to utilize them, he liked the Maclin skillset outside, drafted a guy to replace him and he couldn't get off the press like Maclin could. That's why he isn't in the NFL anymore.

This FO loves to try and go get players on the market/trade that they held in high regard in the draft (Kizer most recently), I guarantee you that's Matthews. This staff is looking at Vandy Matthews and not Bills/Eagles Matthews in looking at how they want to utilize him. They view this as a 2nd chance to draft him.

Yeah i'm not buying a 2nd draft.  Matthews had 4 years to show what he did in the NFL.  That tape is 100x more important than anything he did at Vandy against college players on a crap team.

Pederson doesn't know how to use Matthews?  Roseman is cool with shipping out their most reliable WR?  Nah, Matthews was a huge beneficiary of garbage time yards and catches in 2015, couldn't produce in a real system in 2016 at any position, and then they moved on in 2017.

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Eh, I'd prefer it be us landing a corner somehow so I don't have to worry about our corners so much, but Matthews would certainly mean our offense is headed for a 2011 type season.  Offense wins championships, right? 

Defense wins championships. What about Eric Reid? And Matthews? And DRC? And a high CB draft pick? And a trade for a CB? OK, just kidding but some combination would be great! What's your favorite combination?

Just now, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Defense wins championships. What about Eric Reid? And Matthews? And DRC? And a high CB draft pick? And a trade for a CB? OK, just kidding but some combination would be great! What's your favorite combination?

Perfect offseason for me would be:

Breeland, Gaines, DRC or trade for Darby (or some other final year corner)
Sign Matthews
Best pass rusher @14th overall
Best available CB/WR in round 2
Best available CB/WR in round 3 (whichever position we didn't draft in 2)
Best available players the rest of the draft

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

Sign Matthews

Pretty much this for me too. After the Randall trade I said I wanted 2 corners in FA, a WR who can stretch the field in FA, a depth pass rusher in FA. Then either pass rush or corner in round 1, either pass rush/cb/wr in round 2. After that whatever. Wouldn't be against anything starting round 3 except perhaps RB. Don't think we need to add someone there. 

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Sign Matthews

Sounds great! Let's get started. Sign Matthews today. What about Reid? No interest?

1 minute ago, fattlipp said:

so you like Jones/Brice manning the other safety spot?

yes. I like Brice and I'm comfortable with that pair. Don't forget Marwin Evans too. We still have a solid safety group, so unless we see Reid playing a lot in the slot, then it would depend on the price. Can never have enough good DBs

Just now, Mr. Fussnputz said:

If Reid came at a good price, I would sign him. I'm not entirely sold on Jones. He looked lost out there at times. He may be better at LB.

Gotta remember two things:

1. People were saying the same thing about Nick Collins after he finished his rookie year.
2. Jones played for Capers, who made everyone look lost. 

5 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

We have no need for him unless we were to trade Clinton-Dix. 

This logic makes no sense to me. Our defense has had depth issues since the super bowl team, we can never have enough solid DBs. On top of that HaHa also excelled at covering the slot at Alabama and for some reason Dom just stuck him deep and left him there. Adding Reid would allow HaHa to play more in an Eric Berry type of role which is where he would be best at IMO. 

9 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

We have no need for him unless we were to trade Clinton-Dix. 

I wouldn't say no need. He's essentially younger Morgan Burnett. Jones still got a lot of snaps last year, now I guess if Pettine doesn't like the 3 safety look like Dom there would be no need, but if I'm a DC HHCD, Reid, Jones is a package I can do a lot with if I like to be a multiple defense.

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

Gotta remember two things:

1. People were saying the same thing about Nick Collins after he finished his rookie year.
2. Jones played for Capers, who made everyone look lost. 

Valid points both. But if Reid could play some slot, I think he might be worth a reasonable hit to our cap. Extending Rodgers should free up some space.

Archived