2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

Just now, NormSizedMidget said:

Herb Adderly you doofus

I'm ignore listing you for this

Norm, that's WHY no corner named Herb is ever going to do anything in Green Bay.  Doofus.  That's like expecting some 7th round QB named Bart Brett to turn into a pro bowl QB. 

14 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Personally I'd be looking to extend Nelson 3 years total and lower his number. I don't cut Cobb unless I know 100% a guy like Watkins is coming in. Otherwise I'd shoot for more the Jordan Matthews tier, draft a guy and let Cobb play out his final year. 

So you're cutting Cobb, to make room to invest even MORE in WR?

Why? 

8.4, 4.6, 3.2, 1.5 

^^^ Cap hits for Patriots top 4 WR's. That's less than 20m. If Rodgers is the "GOAT" He can manage with Adams, Nelson (on a restructure), Allison, rookie, cheap vet FA.

26 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Norm, that's WHY no corner named Herb is ever going to do anything in Green Bay.  Doofus.  That's like expecting some 7th round QB named Bart Brett to turn into a pro bowl QB. 

Nah. It's the opposite. It's tradition for him to be Hall of Fame

27 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

They said we couldn't draft another QB named Brett and turn him into a GOAT, and we did....

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

They said we couldn't draft another QB named Brett and turn him into a GOAT, and we did....

Another? Who was the first Brett? Sorry I started watching in the 80's, it may before my time.

13 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Difference there was that those Packers were in a cap hell and we essentially had no choice.  Thompson left this roster in 10 times better shape than Sherman left it for Thompson. 

Not really.  In both instances,  a GM releases, or would be releasing, a good Packer person (trademark pending) to improve the team. 

Another example is AJ Hawk. 

It's not much different than deciding not to resign player A to pursue player B or, resign player C.  

It's the cold nature of the gig. 

35 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

So you're cutting Cobb, to make room to invest even MORE in WR?

Why? 

8.4, 4.6, 3.2, 1.5 

^^^ Cap hits for Patriots top 4 WR's. That's less than 20m. If Rodgers is the "GOAT" He can manage with Adams, Nelson (on a restructure), Allison, rookie, cheap vet FA.

Patriots also have Gronk.  Cap hit 11MM. And Edelman's contract is an absolute STEAL.

I do wonder if Rodgers would be more effective and make due with lessor recievors if he used his RBs a bit more.  But I have no confidence in that happening.  

one of the weirdest parts of our cap is how much we are paying mason crosby... we pay more than double the league average salary and he is the highest paid kicker in the league.

It's kind of ridiculous that he accounts for so much when he's not even among the top players at the position.

Currently he ranks 25th in FG% among active NFL players.  Even adjusting for the weather and perhaps he kicks some longer ones so that depresses his raw FG%, that's really not an appropriate pay for play ratio.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/fg_perc_active.htm

Also re: dead money.  Don't worry about whether you have dead money on the books or not.  Sunk costs are sunk costs... you don't pay attention to them.  If the decision is whether to cut cobb to sign a better player for less or the same... then do that.  Don't worry about there being 2.5M in dead money because you still save money by cutting him.  Same goes for Jordy or Bulaga.

Archived