Alex Smith - Deja Vu

e16bball

Just now, turtle28 said:

Well thank god someone finally sees it how I see it. That’s been my point all along. Four games is not a big enough sample size for our offense. We’ve had 2 good offensive games and 2 bad games.

Well, yeah. Anything can happen.

I'm still gonna bash him and praise him on a week to week basis depending upon how he does, though.

But right now, I gotta tell you. The trend line is not looking good for him

2 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Well, yeah. Anything can happen.

I'm still gonna bash him and praise him on a week to week basis depending upon how he does, though.

But right now, I gotta tell you. The trend line is not looking good for him

Yeah, because he had one bad game...

The other 3 games were average to above average. 

Just now, turtle28 said:

Yeah, because he had one bad game...

The other 3 games were average to above average. 

Turtle. Come on. He sucked in the Colts game and he sucked in the Saints game. That's 50% of the games he's played for us he's sucked.

Adding to that, the offense has had exactly 4 quarters where it was average or above average out of the 16 we've played. That's a 25% "success" rate.

So I have

50% of the time, he's sucked

Another 25% of the time he's been below average

Only 25% of the time, was he any good.

I gotta be honest, that's not a good trend for me.

But again. He could turn it around at any point. Kirk seemed to do that after the Red line game vs. TB that I was at. So the final bill on Smith isn't tallied until we've played 16 games. We still get to talk about it week to week though

5 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Turtle. Come on. He sucked in the Colts game and he sucked in the Saints game. That's 50% of the games he's played for us he's sucked.

Adding to that, the offense has had exactly 4 quarters where it was average or above average out of the 16 we've played. That's a 25% "success" rate.

So I have

50% of the time, he's sucked

Another 25% of the time he's been below average

Only 25% of the time, was he any good.

I gotta be honest, that's not a good trend for me.

But again. He could turn it around at any point. Kirk seemed to do that after the Red line game vs. TB that I was at. So the final bill on Smith isn't tallied until we've played 16 games. We still get to talk about it week to week though

I don’t think he sucked in the Colts game, I think he was average. He missed some things, but it wasn’t an awful game for him. We’ve analyzed the Colts game to death! It didn’t help that Doctson dropped a catchable ball (not counting the could’ve been TD which was a hard catch & good play by the DB) as did Richardson which would’ve been huge 20 yard pass plays and big first downs.

You can’t just ignore the drops by the receivers when analyzing the QB play.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I added this to the wrong thread.

Our 3rd down RB is on pace for 100+ catches a quarter through the season. AP is on pace for 30+.

I don’t know why this matters. Sproles used to catch around that many when he was with Rivers and Brees in his prime, Kamara had 81 recs last year and has 38 through 5 games almost 8 a game, which would be 122 in the season if he caught that many every game.

Get the ball to your best playmakers and let them make plays for you. The only thing that has frustrated me so far with Smith is that Crowder and Reed aren’t getting as many targets as they did in previous years. 

I don’t hear people crying about Drew Brees.

I don’t think it’s as big of an issue as the Smith haters in here are making it out to be.

I don’t care at all if CT has 90 to 100 catches for 800 to 900 yards with a few TDs.

Despite a slow start with the chemistry of our new QB and the WRs & Reed; it’s not like they are not non-existent:

• Crowder is on pace for around 60 recs for 650 to 700 yds

• PRich is on pace for around 60 recs for 800 to 850 yds

• Reed is on pace for around 60 recs for 750 to 800 yds

• VD is on pace for 20 to 30 recs for 300 to 400 yds too, which will probably go up as the season goes on.

The guy we need to get healthy and step up is Doctson. And if that doesn’t happen, hopefully Harris or Floyd do.

And, we all know what happened Monday night, if Alex would’ve thrown to Harris on time, he would’ve had a 31-yd TD in the 3rd quarter there.  That would’ve given Harris 4 recs, 78 yds and a TD. We just need to get more in sync than we are.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

With competent QB play this team is 3-1. Alex Smith has been dreadful as this teams QB. 

I don’t know how competent QB play would stop either Drew Brees or Andrew Luck from systematically picking us apart. 

Honestly if adjustments from the staff are made and play calling is better on a situation to situation basis, we could be 4-0. The fact is, we are 2-2. We have looked good against Aaron Rodgers and Sam Bradford and bad against Drew Brees and Andrew Luck.

The common denominator is that we are who they thought we were. A middle of the road team that will surprise a good team and beat them, then lose a team we should beat. Also, we most likely will never win a PrimeTime game, so I’m probably going to put bank on the Cowboys to beat us on Thanksgiving.

With competent QB play this team is 3-1. Alex Smith has been dreadful as this teams QB. 

We’re 2-2 ridiculousness. 

What game should we have won that we didn’t just because of Alex?

Because it surely wasn’t Monday night, our D played awful. We all knew it was going to be a long shot for us to beat New Orleans on Monday night in their dome on a night thatBrees was going to become the all-time NFL passer and Ingram was psyched up because he was returning from a 4 game suspension.

Our D played awful, blew coverages and got ran all over. Our OL & running game sucked. Smith was constantly hit because of how bad the protection was. 

It wasn’t just Alex, and it was just ONE game!

You're overacting to Alex playing one bad game as if it means for sure he’s going to be a failure which I just can’t fathom.

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t know why this matters. Sproles used to catch around that many when he was with Rivers and Brees in his prime, Kamara had 81 recs last year and has 38 through 5 games almost 8 a game, which would be 122 in the season if he caught that many every game.

Get the ball to your best playmakers and let them make plays for you. The only thing that has frustrated me so far with Smith is that Crowder and Reed aren’t getting as many targets as they did in previous years. 

I don’t hear people crying about Drew Brees.

I don’t think it’s as big of an issue as the Smith haters in here are making it out to be.

I don’t care at all if CT has 90 to 100 catches for 800 to 900 yards with a few TDs.

Despite a slow start with the chemistry of our new QB and the WRs & Reed; it’s not like they are not non-existent:

• Crowder is on pace for around 60 recs for 650 to 700 yds

• PRich is on pace for around 60 recs for 800 to 850 yds

• Reed is on pace for around 60 recs for 750 to 800 yds

• VD is on pace for 20 to 30 recs for 300 to 400 yds too, which will probably go up as the season goes on.

The guy we need to get healthy and step up is Doctson. And if that doesn’t happen, hopefully Harris or Floyd do.

And, we all know what happened Monday night, if Alex would’ve thrown to Harris on time, he would’ve had a 31-yd TD in the 3rd quarter there.  That would’ve given Harris 4 recs, 78 yds and a TD. We just need to get more in sync than we are.

Smh...never change Turtle. Never change

58 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I don’t know how competent QB play would stop either Drew Brees or Andrew Luck from systematically picking us apart. 

Honestly if adjustments from the staff are made and play calling is better on a situation to situation basis, we could be 4-0. The fact is, we are 2-2. We have looked good against Aaron Rodgers and Sam Bradford and bad against Drew Brees and Andrew Luck.

The common denominator is that we are who they thought we were. A middle of the road team that will surprise a good team and beat them, then lose a team we should beat. Also, we most likely will never win a PrimeTime game, so I’m probably going to put bank on the Cowboys to beat us on Thanksgiving.

Andrew Luck threw for 179 yards and got picked twice. How, exactly, is that picking a team apart? Smith is a disaster. He refuses to throw the ball down field. He checked out of a TD pass for Christ sakes. He sucks. 

57 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

We’re 2-2 ridiculousness. 

What game should we have won that we didn’t just because of Alex?

Because it surely wasn’t Monday night, our D played awful. We all knew it was going to be a long shot for us to beat New Orleans on Monday night in their dome on a night thatBrees was going to become the all-time NFL passer and Ingram was psyched up because he was returning from a 4 game suspension.

Our D played awful, blew coverages and got ran all over. Our OL & running game sucked. Smith was constantly hit because of how bad the protection was. 

It wasn’t just Alex, and it was just ONE game!

You're overacting to Alex playing one bad game as if it means for sure he’s going to be a failure which I just can’t fathom.

We should’ve beat the Colts. The game where the defense kept giving the offense chance after chance and Smith responded by throwing the ball to Thompson repeatedly and eventually ran the clock out for Indianapolis. The fact that we still have the Alex Smith crew in here defending him after the crap he’s given us is insane. 

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Smh...never change Turtle. Never change

I won’t. I’ve been this way with every Redskins starting QB except for Rex Grossman until it’s blatantly obvious that they’re going to be gone and not be the starter anymore.

We should’ve beat the Colts. The game where the defense kept giving the offense chance after chance and Smith responded by throwing the ball to Thompson repeatedly and eventually ran the clock out for Indianapolis. The fact that we still have the Alex Smith crew in here defending him after the crap he’s given us is insane. 

Wait, the game where we couldn’t run the ball bc their DL dominated our interior OL, the game where both Doctson and PRich dropped passes that would’ve been 20-yard receptions, and where the defense gave up two easy scoring drives?

Alex had 4 or 5 passes around 20 yards or over downfield. Two were dropped by his starting WRs. One was broken up in the end zone when Doctson couldn’t hall in the TD and one Smith over shot Crowder by a few yards for what should’ve been a TD.

Now, I’ll admit he didn’t blindly throw the ball downfield in the 4th quarter against two deep coverage and I would have liked him to do it more than the few times he did, but to blame a loss on anyone player is the absolute worst take anyone can ever have!

It’s a team game, you win games as team and lose them as a team. If Doctson & PRich don’t drop those passes then Smith has 320-330 yards and another opportunity for a TD in the red zone despite the one that was incomplete to Doctson in the end zone. 

Sadly, Doctson and PRich dropped those passes and they killed drives.

And the Turtle spin continues. We’re going to have to hear this stupid crap for the next two years as turtle defends terrible showings by Alex Smith. He’s played horribly save for one game and really the only reason we have two wins is because of the defense and AP. 

Archived