Alex Smith - Deja Vu

e16bball

On 10/9/2018 at 8:44 AM, turtle28 said:

Yes, I believe it’s after 2 years.

Only if they want to eat a metric ton of dead cap. Smith's 2019 salary is guaranteed and his 2020 salary will guarantee on the fifth day of the 2019 league year. So, they can either cut him before the fifth day of the league year as a "June cut" and absorb $20.4M in dead cap space (along with $16.2M in the following years), cut him after 2019 and absorb $21.4M in dead cap (along with $10.8 in the following years), or they wait until after 2020 when the only guaranteed monies are left over from his signing bonus.

On 10/12/2018 at 10:20 PM, turtle28 said:

I won’t. I’ve been this way with every Redskins starting QB except for Rex Grossman until it’s blatantly obvious that they’re going to be gone and not be the starter anymore.

Unfortunately, Smith is here regardless of how he plays.

On 10/12/2018 at 10:54 PM, Doc Draper said:

Alex Smith isn’t terrible, but he was a much better quarterback with offensive genius Reid. He need a system designed for his strengths which are play action passes primarily to TE’s screens and other passes to running backs and an occasional throw to a WR. I have zero confidence that Gruden has the intelligence to find a way to use him properly to maximize strengths and minimize weaknesses. Smith has always been a qb with escability, but poor at throwing while scrambling unless to a running back. The job of a coach is adept systems to player strengths. Gruden is about as good at this as 

200w.gif

That isn't Gruden.

That baby figured out how to beat the "defense."

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Horrible to me is a multiple interception game, less than 200 yards

If the benchmark is a multi INT game, then Smith will almost NEVER have a bad game. Because he won't take any risks. Even if it is necessary to have a chance at winning.

So, individually, he can play well by your metrics but still be poor when evaluated from a leadership position on a team game.

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Luck picked our defense apart for 3 drives, he had two bad decisions that were great plays by swearinger. 

Those 3 drives when Luck was on point and their O was in sync was sadly good enough to win the game for them. 

Assuming my math is right, Washington had the ball for over 20 minutes in the second half.

They scored six points.

Three drives, scoring three touchdowns, was enough to was essentially salt the game away.

But there isn't a problem with the offense?

22 hours ago, Woz said:

Assuming my math is right, Washington had the ball for over 20 minutes in the second half.

They scored six points.

Three drives, scoring three touchdowns, was enough to was essentially salt the game away.

But there isn't a problem with the offense?

Team game. I said the same thing when Cousins was here too and the overall team played bad around him, so no one can accuse me of changing positions just because our QB changed. Others... not so much 

9 hours ago, Woz said:

If the benchmark is a multi INT game, then Smith will almost NEVER have a bad game. Because he won't take any risks. Even if it is necessary to have a chance at winning.

So, individually, he can play well by your metrics but still be poor when evaluated from a leadership position on a team game.

He took some risks in every game, I don’t know why people won’t acknowledge that. The 4th & 2 pass to Harris was a risk, it was a poor throw. The passes downfield in the Green Bay like the ones to Doctson and Richardson weren’t safe passes.

Vs Indy he threw downfield to Doctson on the sideline and he dropped the pass. He threw into a tight back of the end zone window to Doctson and it was broken up. He threw downfield to Crowder but barely over shot him. He threw downfield to PRich in between two defenders but PRich couldn’t come down with it.

Vs Arizona he threw downfield to PRich but Jamar Taylor grabbed PRich so he couldn’t get to the pass and probably catch a 77-yd TD pass. He threaded the needle to Reed on the first play of that game and he’s had a few passes in the middle of the field to Crowder and Reed where he’s put it on the money in between defenders.

12 hours ago, lavar703 said:

How am I wrong? You cannot sit here and honestly say 2 interceptions and under 200 yards is picking apart a defense. That’s absurd. 

Maybe you didn’t watch the game? What I saw was clearly our defense being picked apart.

Also, you still in this entire argument failed to acknowledge his two touchdown passes, but you are so fixated on the two interceptions.

It doesn’t matter. We have bigger things to focus on. Unify and root for a win against the Panthers.

HTTR!

21 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Maybe you didn’t watch the game? What I saw was clearly our defense being picked apart.

Also, you still in this entire argument failed to acknowledge his two touchdown passes, but you are so fixated on the two interceptions.

It doesn’t matter. We have bigger things to focus on. Unify and root for a win against the Panthers.

HTTR!

I watched the game. He didn’t pick the defense apart. He was mediocre at best and I’m fixated on the two picks because it was missed opportunities for this team to take control of the game. You don’t turn the ball over twice, throw for under 200 yards and lose the TOP battle and still win in most cases. That tends to happen when your QB refuses to take chances. 

58 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I watched the game. He didn’t pick the defense apart. He was mediocre at best and I’m fixated on the two picks because it was missed opportunities for this team to take control of the game. You don’t turn the ball over twice, throw for under 200 yards and lose the TOP battle and still win in most cases. That tends to happen when your QB refuses to take chances. 

And 71% for 292 yards is an awful game? 

30 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

And 71% for 292 yards is an awful game? 

Awful is relative. Smith padded his stats while we were down two scores with 7 minutes left instead of trying to win the ball game. Throwing the ball down the middle of the field repeatedly with time running out was not indicative of something an supposed “upgrade” would do. 

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Awful is relative. Smith padded his stats while we were down two scores with 7 minutes left instead of trying to win the ball game. Throwing the ball down the middle of the field repeatedly with time running out was not indicative of something an supposed “upgrade” would do. 

Trying to come back when you are down two scores in the second half is not the definition of padding your stats.

Just now, turtle28 said:

Trying to come back when you are down two scores in the second half is not the definition of padding your stats.

Except...he didn't 'try to come back'. He did in fact pad his stats and ran out the clock for the Colts. That was the whole point. 

3 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Except...he didn't 'try to come back'. He did in fact pad his stats and ran out the clock for the Colts. That was the whole point. 

I’d love to see these plays where WRs we’re open downfield that he missed who weren’t being doubled by a corner underneath and a safety over the top.

He was forced to take what the defense gave him to try to get in scoring positon. It’s not his fault the Colts ran a defense that is designed to not give up big plays all game long.

I guess he should’ve just winged it downfield and threw 3 to 5 ints like some QBs do which, last time I check gives you absolutely no chance to win because you don’t posses the ball. At least if you posses the ball, you have a chance at a DB making a mistake and then you can hit a WR for a big play. 

The one Alex missed was Crowder. I’ve said for 3 weeks that he needed to hit that pass and if he had we may have come back and won. Alex said the same thing after the game.

Archived