Alex Smith - Deja Vu

e16bball

17 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Trying to come back when you are down two scores in the second half is not the definition of padding your stats.

He was throwing to the middle of the field underneath. The one area of the field the Colts were perfectly willing to give him because it made the clock run. He wasn't trying to come back.

He was forced to take what the defense gave him to try to get in scoring positon. It’s not his fault the Colts ran a defense that is designed to not give up big plays all game long.

IF that was the case, why was he throwing to the middle of the field? Why weren't they running ANY 5 yard out routes to the sideline to preserve the clock?

I guess he should’ve just winged it downfield and threw 3 to 5 ints like some QBs do which, last time I check gives you absolutely no chance to win because you don’t posses the ball. At least if you posses the ball, you have a chance at a DB making a mistake and then you can hit a WR for a big play. 

Except he wasn't trying to do that. He never even looked downfield.

I realize that they beat the Panthers yesterday, and from the little I saw/heard, they looked good doing it. A bunch of the criticisms I and others have dropped here were not apparent (at least in the first half). However, this is the offense that the Redskins run now: if they get up early, milk the clock and ride the defense. If they get behind early, they're doomed.

That's an offensive plan destined for an 8-8 record.

1 hour ago, bigdog44 said:

Look at the other free agent QBs we could have had outside of Kirk. Keenum is about to lose his job. Bradford lost his job. McCarron and Bridgewater didn’t make it to opening day. I’d hate to do this but the FO deserves some credit for going out and bringing in Smith in a trade before FA hit. 

Look at the prices those teams paid in comparison to what Washington paid.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

I realize that they beat the Panthers yesterday, and from the little I saw/heard, they looked good doing it. A bunch of the criticisms I and others have dropped here were not apparent (at least in the first half). However, this is the offense that the Redskins run now: if they get up early, milk the clock and ride the defense. If they get behind early, they're doomed.

That's an offensive plan destined for an 8-8 record.

And it's exactly (AGAIN) what happened yesterday. 

2 hours ago, Woz said:

Look at the prices those teams paid in comparison to what Washington paid.

Keenum costs $15 m in cap space, let’s not act like he’s cheap and he’s been awful despite having one of the most talented WR corps in the NFL.

Bradford is getting $20 million to people watch from the sidelines.

3 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Alex Smith didn't play very well yesterday. Some of that may be Jay Gruden's crap second half playcalling, but I'm not sure this is a game I would thump my chest about Alex over. 

Alex is who his detractors said he would be. A game manager, who can win you games when you have a strong running game and good defensive play. I don't think anyone expected him to be a Ryan Leaf, but he also hasn't stepped up and carried us to a win yet either. Feels like an 8-8 type of year, where we're a decent team, but you're just left wanting a little bit more.

So... pretty much like 2015-17? Which most of us thought would happen. 

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Keenum costs $15 m in cap space, let’s not act like he’s cheap and he’s been awful despite having one of the most talented WR corps in the NFL.

Bradford is getting $20 million to people watch from the sidelines.

Neither cost the team a 3rd plus a quality CB to acquire.  Also, neither team had a viable in-house candidate that they let walk for nothing.  

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Neither cost the team a 3rd plus a quality CB to acquire.  Also, neither team had a viable in-house candidate that they let walk for nothing.  

Fuller has been awful this year, of course for us he was our 3rd best corner so he may have been better because he would’ve mostly been going against #3 WRs all game. We haven’t missed Kendall Fuller.

We will get a 3rd round comp pick for Cousins, so that makes the trade for Alex Smith just Alex for Fuller straight up. 

We all also know that both the front office and the former QB/his reps have some blame in him not being here. After Kirk got franchised the first time it seemed like he had one foot out the door for the next season. I didn’t want to believe it, because I wanted him here for the next 5-10 years but it’s true. Lavar was right all along about that. We could have/should have traded him to the the 49ers in 2016 when we had the change to.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Fuller has been awful this year, of course for us he was our 3rd best corner so he may have been better because he would’ve mostly been going against #3 WRs all game. We haven’t missed Kendall Fuller.

Fuller was fantastic for us last year, not our problem that KC doesn't know how to use him properly.  He was a very expensive resource to send out for an aging QB.  

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

We will get a 3rd round comp pick for Cousins, so that makes the trade for Alex Smith just Alex for Fuller straight up. 

No it doesn't.  We would have received the 3rd round comp pick regardless of our trade for Alex Smith.  We would of had our 3rd this year and the comp pick next year.  We still gave up a 3rd for Alex Smith (and don't get me started on the trade down, then we would have had two 3rds, we still gave up a 3rd for Smith).  

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

We all also know that both the front office and the former QB/his reps have some blame in him not being here. After Kirk got franchised the first time it seemed like he had one foot out the door for the next season. I didn’t want to believe it, because I wanted him here for the next 5-10 years but it’s true. Lavar was right all along about that. We could have/should have traded him to the the 49ers in 2016 when we had the change to.

The Redskins front office is the ENTIRE reason Cousins is no longer with the team.  

16 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Fuller was fantastic for us last year, not our problem that KC doesn't know how to use him properly.  He was a very expensive resource to send out for an aging QB.  

No it doesn't.  We would have received the 3rd round comp pick regardless of our trade for Alex Smith.  We would of had our 3rd this year and the comp pick next year.  We still gave up a 3rd for Alex Smith (and don't get me started on the trade down, then we would have had two 3rds, we still gave up a 3rd for Smith).  

The Redskins front office is the ENTIRE reason Cousins is no longer with the team.  

My gosh. 

1. Fuller’s issue is he’s not a good starting outside corner at the moment. That is just the simple fact of the matter. If he was still here, Dunny should still be the #2 corner and as I told you and others all offseason the reason they traded away Fuller was because they had Moreau. They saw that Moreau could do what Fuller could do and possibly more because he’s bigger, faster and stronger.

2. I don’t know what your point is here. If we had re-signed Kirk, we weren’t going to get a comp pick. We have two 3rds in the 2019 draft.

Unless, your point is we should’ve rolled with McCoy  in hindsight. Which honestly, I can’t take anyone in this forum seriously when they say we should’ve done that in hindsight because I was the only one in this forum who said that McCoy could be an average starter for us who could throw around 4,000 yds and over 20 TDs. You never ever wanted McCoy starting, so I don’t want to hear anything about it from you, Woz, Lavar or Thai now.

3. The Redskins FO did offer Kirk deals, and Kirk and his team chose not to counter it. Perhaps if they countered the deal in July of 2017 they would’ve come to an agreement, but Kirk sent a message that he didn’t seem too interested in negotiating or staying in Dc when they didn’t counter the Redksins offer.

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

1. Fuller’s issue is he’s not a good starting outside corner at the moment. That is just the simple fact of the matter. If he was still here, Dunny should still be the #2 corner and as I told you and others all offseason they reason they traded away Fuller was because they had Moreau. They saw that Moreau could do what Fuller could do and possibly more because he’s bigger, faster and stronger.

I don't get your point here.  Fuller was a fantastic slot CB, definitely better than Moreau has been there this year.  Moreau could have continued to be groomed outside and taken Norman's place next year.  

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

2. I don’t know what your point is here. If we had re-signed Kirk, we weren’t going to get a comp pick. We have two 3rds in this draft. Unless your point is we should’ve rolled with McCoy which honestly, I can’t take anyone in this forum seriously when they say we should’ve done that in hindsight because I was the only one in this forum who said that McCoy could be an average starter for us who could throw around 4,000 yds abs over 20 TDs. You never ever wanted McCoy starting, so I don’t want to hear anything about it from your Lavar or Thai now.

I didn't say re-sign Kirk.  I said we were going to receive a 3rd round comp pick for him leaving no matter what.  So we then had a 2018 3rd, and two 2019 3rds.  We then traded the 2018 3rd for Alex Smith.  WE TRADED A 3RD ROUND PICK FOR ALEX SMITH.  This cannot be refuted.  We didn't re-acquire the pick.  

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

3. The Redskins FO did offer Kirk deals, and Kirk and his team chose not to counter it. Perhaps if they countered the deal in July of 2017 they would’ve come to an agreement, but Kirk sent a message that he didn’t seem to interested in negotiating or staying in Dc when they didn’t counter the Redksins offer.

The lowballed the crap out of him, pretended not to know his first name in the media, traded for his replacement and made sure the replacement had an expensive extension before he even was allowed to hit free agency.  Its Bruce Allen's fault Kirk Cousins is not a Redskin and his alone.  

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

My gosh. 

1. Fuller’s issue is he’s not a good starting outside corner at the moment. That is just the simple fact of the matter. If he was still here, Dunny should still be the #2 corner and as I told you and others all offseason they reason they traded away Fuller was because they had Moreau. They saw that Moreau could do what Fuller could do and possibly more because he’s bigger, faster and stronger.

2. I don’t know what your point is here. If we had re-signed Kirk, we weren’t going to get a comp pick. We have two 3rds in this draft. Unless your point is we should’ve rolled with McCoy which honestly, I can’t take anyone in this forum seriously when they say we should’ve done that in hindsight because I was the only one in this forum who said that McCoy could be an average starter for us who could throw around 4,000 yds abs over 20 TDs. You never ever wanted McCoy starting, so I don’t want to hear anything about it from your Lavar or Thai now.

3. The Redskins FO did offer Kirk deals, and Kirk and his team chose not to counter it. Perhaps if they countered the deal in July of 2017 they would’ve come to an agreement, but Kirk sent a message that he didn’t seem to interested in negotiating or staying in Dc when they didn’t counter the Redksins offer.

Per bolded:

A) Your math is off

For the trade for Alex and Cousins walking this is what we got:

2018 3rd rounder = sent to KC

Fuller = Sent to KC

3rd round Compensatory = Coming to us in 2019

Now...what @MKnight82, myself, @lavar703, @Wozand others are saying is this. If we DON'T trade for Alex, we get

2018 3rd rounder = STILL OURS

Fuller = STILL OURS

3rd round Compensatory = STILL COMING TO US IN 2019

So in your scenario, we give up a 3rd and a slot corner but we get a comp pick.

In ours, we still have that 3rd, the slot corner and we still get the comp pick

Your math...is off.

B) You were arguing that we should put McCoy in as the starter going forward because you thought he was good enough. Our argument was to roll with him for only a year given that we KNOW he's NOT a good/average starting QB and that the team would not do well anyway. Therefore, if we got the QB this year, they sit and watch and we do poorly and then that rookie takes over in year 2 with a team that gets another top 10 pick added to it...or we roll with McCoy in 2018, do badly, and use the top 10 pick to make moves to get the QBOTF.

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The lowballed the crap out of him, pretended not to know his first name in the media, traded for his replacement and made sure the replacement had an expensive extension before he even was allowed to hit free agency.  Its Bruce Allen's fault Kirk Cousins is not a Redskin and his alone.  

Exactly. Like I argued at the time, if I'm Kirk, I get the message loud and clear that they don't really want me here. And at that point, unless they come off their spot and open the checkbook, I'm pushing so I can hit FA and go where someone wants me. Because what they offered him was ridiculously lowball.

Archived