Alex Smith - Deja Vu

e16bball

2 minutes ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

Guy hasn't played to the best of his abilities, but he has no time to get the ball out. Hard to throw down the field when the pocket is collapsing in 2 seconds. 

Agreed. There’s been issues with our protection, some dropped passes and passing offense all the way around. I just don’t understand the criticism from these other experienced posters who generally do not act this way towards a QB when it’s obviously more than just him who have been inconstent on offense.

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

We’ve had the same Oline for the past two years, our previous QB got the ball out on time.

Sometimes, let’s not act like the former QB always had a perfect game. Also, let’s not forget that because we had a poor rushing offense in 2016 & 17 our former QB threw the ball a lot more. If you’re going to throw the ball 540 to 600 times in a season, you’re going to put up more yards especially if you’re throwing to Djax & Garçon like in 2016.

14 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’d love to see these plays where WRs we’re open downfield that he missed who weren’t being doubled by a corner underneath and a safety over the top.

He was forced to take what the defense gave him to try to get in scoring positon. It’s not his fault the Colts ran a defense that is designed to not give up big plays all game long.

I guess he should’ve just winged it downfield and threw 3 to 5 ints like some QBs do which, last time I check gives you absolutely no chance to win because you don’t posses the ball. At least if you posses the ball, you have a chance at a DB making a mistake and then you can hit a WR for a big play. 

The one Alex missed was Crowder. I’ve said for 3 weeks that he needed to hit that pass and if he had we may have come back and won. Alex said the same thing after the game.

We've been over this many times Turtle. He wasn't even trying to beat the Cover 2 with 7 minutes left. That's okay when its the 1st or 2nd quarter and you're 1 score back. But down 2 scores with 7 minutes to go, you need to go deep and risk it. He wasn't and he had plenty of time. The biggest way you beat it is with mid crossing routes (that's on Jay) and also ironically beating them with the plays its designed to prevent (that's on Alex for being too timid). Santana (whom you love) has said Alex needed to throw the 50/50 balls in that situation.

You continue to erect strawmen about "winging it downfield and getting INTs" and thnking that what Alex did against the Colts was going to "give us a chance to win". Neither is true, except you keep fervently believing them.

Which is fine.

But you're still wrong. 

4 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

When Minny misses playoffs & we get in, are we still gonna debate who the better QB is?

Alex is a winner & Cousins is a loser.

I'll give you Dan Fouts & I'll take Theismann, Rypien or Doug Williams when it matters.

We’d probably be 5-0 right now with Kirk Cousins:

7 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

We've been over this many times Turtle. He wasn't even trying to beat the Cover 2 with 7 minutes left. That's okay when its the 1st or 2nd quarter and you're 1 score back. But down 2 scores with 7 minutes to go, you need to go deep and risk it. He wasn't and he had plenty of time. The biggest way you beat it is with mid crossing routes (that's on Jay) and also ironically beating them with the plays its designed to prevent (that's on Alex for being too timid). Santana (whom you love) has said Alex needed to throw the 50/50 balls in that situation.

You continue to erect strawmen about "winging it downfield and getting INTs" and thnking that what Alex did against the Colts was going to "give us a chance to win". Neither is true, except you keep fervently believing them.

Which is fine.

But you're still wrong. 

I’m not wrong, we just don’t agree. We have two different philosophies/opinions on this and we aren’t going to agree.

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

We’d probably be 5-0 right now with Kirk Cousins:

Not so sure, did you watch Kirk vs the Bills? Did you watch him Get bailed out by the refs in what should’ve been a loss vs the Packers - who the Redskins beat?

The only way Kirk would be 5-0 if he was our QB is if Diggs and Adam Theilen came to DC with him and then he got to keep the rest of the Redskins team, including Peterson.

That sir, is what we call a fantasy.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’m not wrong, we just don’t agree. We have two different philosophies/opinions on this and we aren’t going to agree.

No. You're actually wrong. You cannot beat a team playing Cover 2 checking down in the middle of the field and getting your guy tackled for 3 yard gains when you're down 2 scores and 7 minutes to go.

You have to throw it deep. It will get completed (positive), incomplete (positive because it stops clock), draws PI (positive and stops clock) or it will get INT (negative). 75% of the outcomes are positive. And the one way to beat that coverage is to go after it. That's football 101

22 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

What is untrue about it?

The fact that I can recall hundreds of times (slight exaggeration ) of screaming at my TV for Kirk to get rid of it... One of the biggest knocks on Cousins is that he holds onto the ball too long.

8 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

No. You're actually wrong. You cannot beat a team playing Cover 2 checking down in the middle of the field and getting your guy tackled for 3 yard gains when you're down 2 scores and 7 minutes to go.

You have to throw it deep. It will get completed (positive), incomplete (positive because it stops clock), draws PI (positive and stops clock) or it will get INT (negative). 75% of the outcomes are positive. And the one way to beat that coverage is to go after it. That's football 101

I didn’t say you could win by just throwing it down the middle. I said that you do that to hopefully pull the defense up and hope that a defender makes a mistake and you can get a big play. This happened with the Crowder play but Alex just barley missed him for a TD. That was a big play, and one he wants to have back.

If a defender doesn’t come up though or doesn’t make a mistake, I don’t see how you’re going to beat an opponent by just throwing into double coverage.

Archived