• New England 2016/2017
    • Denver 2015/2016
    • New England 2014/2015
    • Seattle 2013/2014
    • Baltimore 2012/2013
    • New York 2011/2012
    • Green Bay 2010/2011
    • New Orleans 2009/2010

I think people remember the 2013 Seahawks as being so dominant mainly because they destroyed the Broncos so badly.

People forget that both the 49ers and Saints were driving with the ball in a 1-score game with under 2 minutes left in both playoff games.

Great team,  but I think people only really remember the Broncos SB and not the other two playoff games.

6 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

I think people remember the 2013 Seahawks as being so dominant mainly because they destroyed the Broncos so badly.

People forget that both the 49ers and Saints were driving with the ball in a 1-score game with under 2 minutes left in both playoff games.

Great team,  but I think people only really remember the Broncos SB and not the other two playoff games.

I mean, there were close games, but also consider what that team did in the regular season - and more importantly remember just how dominant that pass defense was. Then consider how badly they dominated the most prolific passing offense in the modern NFL era, and to me it's a no-brainer.

Just now, Darth Pees said:

I mean, there were close games, but also consider what that team did in the regular season - and more importantly remember just how dominant that pass defense was. Then consider how badly they dominated the most prolific passing offense in the modern NFL era, and to me it's a no-brainer.

Of course.

But if we are going to compare them to the 2016 Patriots:

2013 Seahawks went 13-3, 2016 Patriots went 14-2 (With Brady not playing in 4 of those games)

2013 Seahawks had a +186 point differential, 2016 Patriots had a +191 point differential.

Both were the #1 defense each season in points allowed.

Both had great secondaries.

Brady > Wilson

Belichick > Carroll

The 2016 Patriots are a far more experienced team where most of the players had already won a SB before.

Let me put it to you this way: If we were to have a scenario where these two teams were to play, I'd pick the 2016 Patriots to win.

2 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

Of course.

But if we are going to compare them to the 2016 Patriots:

2013 Seahawks went 13-3, 2016 Patriots went 14-2 (With Brady not playing in 4 of those games)

2013 Seahawks had a +186 point differential, 2016 Patriots had a +191 point differential.

Both were the #1 defense each season in points allowed.

Both had great secondaries.

Brady > Wilson

Belichick > Carroll

Let me put it to you this way: If we were to have a scenario where these two teams were to play, I'd pick the 2016 Patriots to win.

I also wouldn't expect the 2013 Seahawks defense to blow a 28-3 lead, so there's also that. I don't know, you could probably compare them, but there's no way the 2016 Patriots secondary compares to the 2013 Seahawks secondary. Not on paper, not statistically, not in any way.

Just now, Darth Pees said:

I also wouldn't expect the 2013 Seahawks defense to blow a 28-3 lead, so there's also that. I don't know, you could probably compare them, but there's no way the 2016 Patriots secondary compares to the 2013 Seahawks secondary. Not on paper, not statistically, not in any way.

I wouldn't expect the 2013 Seahawks offense to get a 28-3 lead. Atlanta was an historic offense, the 2013 Seahawks were a good but far from spectacular offense.

Also: Brady already has proven he can beat the Seahawks defense, the 2014 Seahawks were basically the same team as the 2013 Seahawks were. The 2016 Patriots were a superior variant of the 2014 Patriots.

1 minute ago, Bolts223 said:

I wouldn't expect the 2013 Seahawks offense to get a 28-3 lead. Atlanta was an historic offense, the 2013 Seahawks were a good but far from spectacular offense.

Also: Brady already has proven he can beat the Seahawks defense, the 2014 Seahawks were basically the same team as the 2013 Seahawks were. The 2016 Patriots were a superior variant of the 2014 Patriots.

I also wouldn't expect the 2013 Seahawks to completely obliterate the 2013 Denver Broncos passing offense, but they did...Anything can happen. The 2013 Seahawks were historically great. The 2016 Patriots were not.

3 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

I also wouldn't expect the 2013 Seahawks to completely obliterate the 2013 Denver Broncos passing offense, but they did...Anything can happen. The 2013 Seahawks were historically great. The 2016 Patriots were not.

Of course anything can happen - It's the NFL. 

Petyon Manning has a legacy of often not showing up in big games, and John Fox well... sucks.

This is the New England Patriots, this is Brady & Belichick. 

Brady brought the Patriots back from 10 in SB 49 against the exact same defense. The 2013 Seahawks might not even be the best defense Brady has faced in his career.

The 2013 Seahawks were a great team, but I wouldn't say they are historically great. There have been betters defenses - just off the top of my head I would put the 72 Dolphins, 85 Bears, 00 Ravens, 02 Bucs, 06 Ravens and 2015 Broncos ahead of them as far as defenses go. 

Brady had an historic season in his own right, 28 TD's and 2 interceptions. That is pretty ridiculous.

If the 2016 Patriots were to play the 2013 Seahawks I would pick the 2016 Patriots ten times out of ten. There is always the any given Sunday factor, but the 2016 Patriots just win out. 

9 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

Of course anything can happen - It's the NFL. 

Petyon Manning has a legacy of often not showing up in big games, and John Fox well... sucks.

This is the New England Patriots, this is Brady & Belichick. 

Brady brought the Patriots back from 10 in SB 49 against the exact same defense. The 2013 Seahawks might not even be the best defense Brady has faced in his career.

The 2013 Seahawks were a great team, but I wouldn't say they are historically great. There have been betters defenses - just off the top of my head I would put the 72 Dolphins, 85 Bears, 00 Ravens, 02 Bucs, 06 Ravens and 2015 Broncos ahead of them as far as defenses go. 

Brady had an historic season in his own right, 28 TD's and 2 interceptions. That is pretty ridiculous.

If the 2016 Patriots were to play the 2013 Seahawks I would pick the 2016 Patriots ten times out of ten. There is always the any given Sunday factor, but the 2016 Patriots just win out. 

The 2013 Seahawks were not the same Seahawks. They lost their DC, Brandon Browner, Jeremy Lane for like the whole game, Cliff Avril for like the whole game, and Brandon Mebane. Sure, the "key" pieces were all there but it's not the same group. That 2013 pass defense was historic. Like best ever historic. And they ran a train over the most prolific passing offense ever. I understand the "but it's Brady and Belichick!" argument, and it's a shame we'll never know what would happen if those two teams faced off, but just historically speaking here, people will remember the 2013 Seahawks and what they accomplished that year. People won't remember the 2016 Patriots in nearly the same way, if at all. They'll blend in just like many of the other Superbowl winners from the past several years.

1 minute ago, Darth Pees said:

The 2013 Seahawks were not the same Seahawks. They lost their DC, Brandon Browner, Jeremy Lane for like the whole game, Cliff Avril for like the whole game, and Brandon Mebane. Sure, the "key" pieces were all there but it's not the same group. That 2013 pass defense was historic. Like best ever historic. And they ran a train over the most prolific passing offense ever. I understand the "but it's Brady and Belichick!" argument, and it's a shame we'll never know what would happen if those two teams faced off, but just historically speaking here, people will remember the 2013 Seahawks and what they accomplished that year. People won't remember the 2016 Patriots in nearly the same way, if at all. They'll blend in just like many of the other Superbowl winners from the past several years.

Here's the simple truth of the matter:

People won't remember the 2016 Patriots because it's one of five SB winning Patriots teams. The Patriots are the team (or at least one of the teams) to beat every year.

When the Patriots accomplish something spectacular, it doesn't seem as spectacular as it actually is because the Patriots are a force every single season.

When another team like the Seahawks does something spectacular, it sticks out more to people.

Want a comparison?

EVERYONE knows about the 1985 Chicago Bears. It was the only SB the Bears have won to this day.

Not as many people know about the 1984 49ers, who were arguably just as good, if not better. It was one of five SB winning teams the 49ers would have.

2 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

Here's the simple truth of the matter:

People won't remember the 2016 Patriots because it's one of five SB winning Patriots teams. The Patriots are the team (or at least one of the teams) to beat every year.

When the Patriots accomplish something spectacular, it doesn't seem as spectacular as it actually is because the Patriots are a force every single season.

When another team like the Seahawks does something spectacular, it sticks out more to people.

Want a comparison?

EVERYONE knows about the 1985 Chicago Bears. It was the only SB the Bears have won to this day.

Not as many people know about the 1984 49ers, who were arguably just as good, if not better. It was one of five SB winning teams the 49ers would have.

Actually, I would argue more casual fans would pick the best Patriots team on the list because of their success, not the other way around.

The Pats were really good, but 2013 Seattle was one of the best teams ever. As with the 1985 Bears 

DVOA agrees: 

DVOA of Champions 1950-2013 (estimated 1950-1988)
Rank Team Total DVOA Offense Defense ST
1 WAS 1991 56.9% 27.2% -21.1% 8.6%
2 GB 1962 47.9% 21.4% -20.7% 5.8%
3 GB 1961 46.0% 27.6% -11.6% 6.8%
4 CHI 1985 45.3% 12.5% -26.8% 6.0%
5 GB 1996 41.9% 15.2% -19.3% 7.4%
6 SEA 2013 40.0% 9.4% -25.8% 4.8%

Archived