Stefanski to stay as QB Coach

gopherwrestler

I felt that Stefanski was a strong option as our next OC this year, so him staying around another year while also learning from another OC will only boost his credentials and knowledge of offensive schemes. Defilippo could have landed a HC job this year, so barring a downgrade steep downgrade in our offensive production, he could very well be looking at the same sorts of opportunity next year. Having Stefanski in the fold, having worked with all of the QB's we've had (any of which could return this year) and possibly working with a newcomer or rookie will provide a level of continuity that could pay dividends. As long as Stefanski was willing to be on board with this move, then I feel like we have allowed ourselves a great opportunity to reduce major scheme shakeups going forward for years. 

Stefanski joined the Vikings in 2006 after Brad Childress was hired as coach. Stefanski’s title was assistant to the head coach through the 2008 season and this meant taking care of a variety of jobs. This included monitoring the weather during training camp to inform Childress whether it was safe to practice or if an approaching storm might be reason to move inside. Childress, jokingly, referred to Stefanski as “Tommy Doppler.”

Stefanski was promoted to assistant quarterbacks coach in 2009 and held that job through 2013. That meant he survived the changes that took place following the 2010 season, when Leslie Frazier was promoted from interim head coach to the full-time job following Childress’ firing. Stefanski again was retained when Mike Zimmer replaced Frazier in 2014. 

Stefanski spent the 2014 and 2015 seasons as the Vikings’ tight ends coach, was the running backs coach in 2016 and then began coaching the quarterbacks this season.

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/02/zulgad-one-block-vikings-shouldnt-able-make/

23 hours ago, byuvike88 said:

Man he said this before it even happened. And how much credit has George Edward got for getting this defense to number 1 in the league? For developing Barr into a star OLB or Rhodes into a lockdown corner? 

NY sports analysts / announcers are much better at their profession than PA.  I've read plenty of adverse criticism of him as a homer who tried to defend management, and it's not surprising since his paycheck depends on him praising them.

12 hours ago, Purplexing said:

Years of PA being the equivalent of The Ted Baxter of sports announcers.

But that doesn't mean that NY sports analysts/announcers are much better.  From what I've heard of them, they are at least equally, if not more, terrible.  At least PA has connections with the inside of the organization than the NY sports analysts who just yell and scream nonsense in a Brooklyn accent with absolutely no inside info.  

7 hours ago, disaacs said:

But that doesn't mean that NY sports analysts/announcers are much better.  From what I've heard of them, they are at least equally, if not more, terrible.  At least PA has connections with the inside of the organization than the NY sports analysts who just yell and scream nonsense in a Brooklyn accent with absolutely no inside info.  

I got sidetracked on sports announcer's in general and missed pointing out that PA is biased as a contracted employee of the team, whereas sports analysts in NY do not have a conflict of interest in criticizing NY sports teams.  

I've listened to plenty of NY and Boston team announcers, for baseball and football, and heard segments on sports radio while driving somewhere by sports analysts who aren't contracted by the teams.  I've listened to enough of PA to rate him as second rate to nearly all NY sports media members.  We can agree to disagree on this one.  Larger markets usually have hired the best talent from smaller markets, whether it be news announcers, sports analysts, or weather forecasters.   PA hasn't worked in a large market, to my knowledge, and he looks like he's only a few years, perhaps a decade away from retirement. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Heimdallr said:

That is a great response. He just tells it straight.

Can you imagine what sort of BS non-answer Frazier would have fumbled through?

Probably something to what Spielman would have answered. I love listening to Zim speak. He never usually give anything away, but he is brutally honest.

Archived