Where would these QB's have been drafted had they not returned to school?

DirtyDez

2 hours ago, LuckIsGOAT said:

All of them same except Luck I think gets drafted #2 behind Cam 

Luck was easily a higher rated prospect than Cam.

Barkley and Leinart probably both get drafted higher. 

McCoy still isn't drafted high at all.

3 hours ago, LuckIsGOAT said:

All of them same except Luck I think gets drafted #2 behind Cam 

Doubt it. Luck would have gone ahead of Newton. Cam had a lot of flaws as a prospect. I thought he was going to be a monster, but he was far from a refined passer like Andrew Luck already was.

05' Leinart- tough one. Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, and Jason Campbell were taken early in the 05 draft. I had Rodgers slotted 1, Campbell 2, and actually had Smith pegged behind Charlie Frye and Andrew Walter. My guess is Leinart may have gone 1 overall. But he could have fallen to the 2nd round just as easily. To me, it really depends on what Oakland thought of him as opposed to Walter, provided SF doesn't take him. 

09' Bradford- 1st round. Above Freeman, probably below Sanchez, and definitely under Stafford. 

09' McCoy- Maybe slides into the 2nd but still behind what would have been Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman, and Bradford.

11' Luck- 1 overall, unless the Panthers were really just blown away with Cam at the time. I'd wager that Luck's personality would have made him less of a risk than Newton without losing much, if anything, in on-field potential.

12'  Barkley- As hyped as I remember him being at the time, probably 1st round. Depends on what Luck does. If he's in the 2012 draft, he's going first. If he left in the '11 draft, it's a toss up. I think Snyder was going to move heaven and earth to get Griffin. The Colts may have traded the pick as Barkley was never on Luck's level as a prospect. Maybe the Rams grab him? I think he probably goes behind Luck*, Griffin, and maybe Tannehill, but probably still round 1. 

On 2/14/2018 at 9:50 AM, Danger said:

Luck was easily a higher rated prospect than Cam.

Barkley and Leinart probably both get drafted higher. 

McCoy still isn't drafted high at all.

Actually come to think of it Leinart gets drafted lower(where Rodgers got picked)

Barkley was always a myth, he could of had the greatest senior season of all time there is still no market for short, slow, chubby, average armed QBs in the NFL

On 2/14/2018 at 10:30 AM, BleedTheClock said:

Doubt it. Luck would have gone ahead of Newton. Cam had a lot of flaws as a prospect. I thought he was going to be a monster, but he was far from a refined passer like Andrew Luck already was.

Sophomore Luck was completely unproven throwing outside the numbers. I think Cam probably gets the nod from the Panthers and who ever picked #2 takes Luck or trades the pick to a team that wants luck. 

On 2/14/2018 at 10:44 AM, ronjon1990 said:

05' Leinart- tough one. Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, and Jason Campbell were taken early in the 05 draft. I had Rodgers slotted 1, Campbell 2, and actually had Smith pegged behind Charlie Frye and Andrew Walter. My guess is Leinart may have gone 1 overall. But he could have fallen to the 2nd round just as easily. To me, it really depends on what Oakland thought of him as opposed to Walter, provided SF doesn't take him. 

09' Bradford- 1st round. Above Freeman, probably below Sanchez, and definitely under Stafford. 

09' McCoy- Maybe slides into the 2nd but still behind what would have been Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman, and Bradford.

11' Luck- 1 overall, unless the Panthers were really just blown away with Cam at the time. I'd wager that Luck's personality would have made him less of a risk than Newton without losing much, if anything, in on-field potential.

12'  Barkley- As hyped as I remember him being at the time, probably 1st round. Depends on what Luck does. If he's in the 2012 draft, he's going first. If he left in the '11 draft, it's a toss up. I think Snyder was going to move heaven and earth to get Griffin. The Colts may have traded the pick as Barkley was never on Luck's level as a prospect. Maybe the Rams grab him? I think he probably goes behind Luck*, Griffin, and maybe Tannehill, but probably still round 1. 

Leinart's value dropped his last season and still went #10.  After his Jr season it was at an all time high and he was coming off this...

9 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Leinart's value dropped his last season and still went #10.  After his Jr season it was at an all time high and he was coming off this...

Hence "may have gone 1 overall". Had he come out, people would have been comparing and contrasting him to Rodgers, Smith, and Campbell. Personally, I had Rodgers pegged as the best QB in the draft that year as well as the next. I never had Leinart rated over him. That being said, I also had Leinart rated much, much higher than Vince Young or Jay Cutler. Young I viewed as a headcase waiting to happen. Cutler just never impressed me for some reason. Leinart, I thought, was about as sure a deal as it could get, minus the inherent flaws he had. 

I still think Leinart was ultimately a victim of circumstance and never got to develop, to be honest. He and Sanchez both, I felt, could have been mid to upper tier starters for a decade with proper coaching. But bad coaching and cocky attitudes man.... 

Luck would've gone before Cam. Andrew was highly regarded in about every evaluation method. Cam was well liked but had the stigma of being paid to play and the running QB which is always debated. 

I'd be hard pressed to find anyone who liked Matt Barkley that much. RG3 100% grades out higher than Barkley if he goes 2012.

Archived