BDL Discussion Thread 2018

Jlash

11 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

Sydney Bids WR Stefon Diggs 2,000/6 incoming.

Being serious here, please pay attention this year. Even just a bit. If you have a single fourth round pick, don't lowball 4 players who are tagged at a 4th and make us go through what we did again last year. 

10 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

What we could do next year is say that after someone makes an initial bid on an RFA, one or maybe two other teams(aside from the team that placed the RFA tag) are allowed to up the offer within 24 hours.  At which point those two teams would have a bidding war.  After a bid between these two has stood for 24 hours, the original team could match or take the pick.

This would 1. Make for more realistic bids 2.  Keep things moving at a good pace due to limited team involvement 3. Make people more likely to make a solid initial bid so no one would get into a bidding war with them and 4. reward getting bids in quick, fast, and in a hurry.

I'm sure this could be tweaked, but I think it makes for a solid base to spice up RFA a bit.

8 hours ago, WFLukic said:

isnt this already the case?

Yes. Multiple teams can bid on an RFA.

I did it a few years ago when Jason Kelce was a RFA for PSU, someone low balled the offer. Made it an easy decision for PSU, so I bid a much more realistic contract and made the decision a lot harder for PSU.

Edited by Jlash

Just now, Hockey5djh said:

Might be a dumb question but since its my first time (giggity)....

Are RFA bids open? Aka can everyone see what was bid during that 24 hour window and decide to beat the offer then? Also if so, what happens with last minute bids/sniping?

Yes all bids are visible. 

And any new bid gives the owner of the player 24 hours to decide to accept the compensation or pay the contract, so a last minute snipe would just result in a 24 hour stall.

• Like 1

For example, Zack Martin is playing under his 5th year IRL, but in this league he's technically an UFA. Am I only permitted to 3-up him for a 1 year deal? Or can I give him additional years with calculations based on the salary he's presently making?

1 minute ago, RuskieTitan said:

For example, Zack Martin is playing under his 5th year IRL, but in this league he's technically an UFA. Am I only permitted to 3-up him for a 1 year deal? Or can I give him additional years with calculations based on the salary he's presently making?

Option 1 - If a real life NFL 1st round player is tendered their 5th year option a team can match it at 100% without using one of their 3 Ups for the year.

3 up (All year round) : Each year, an owner has the chance to resign 3 players at a discount rate. 
If the player is an upcoming free agent that is not coming out of his BDL rookie deal, he can be signed at 85% of the value of his remaining IRL contract 
If a player is under BDL rookie contract but has just signed a new contract IRL, he can be signed at 85% of the value the IRL contract 
If a player is a free agent coming out of his BDL rookie contract and has signed a new deal IRL before the year of the 3up, then the owner has to pay 85% of the total IRL contract but end the contract the same year in BDL than IRL. For instance, player X has a BDL rookie contract from 2014 to 2019 at $2000 per year and signed a new deal IRL in 2018 at $10M per year for 6 years. You can either 3up him in 2018 at $8,500 per year for 6 years or in 2019 at $9,800 per year for 5 years. 

So in my situation I can only get him for 85% of his current 1 year deal, correct? Then I'd have to re-up him next year again?

And I had extended Mack during the season last year, does that count towards my 3-ups this year or was that 'last year' 3-up and now I have a fresh set of 3?

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

Option 1 - If a real life NFL 1st round player is tendered their 5th year option a team can match it at 100% without using one of their 3 Ups for the year.

Appreciate it, that's what I'll be doing. Nice to have an additional 3 Up I was not expecting.