BDL Discussion Thread 2018

Jlash

1 hour ago, MD4L said:

In reality Landry would hold out/do something to get a salary increase. He would probably get it. 

Every other person in the league had the opportunity to put a higher bid on Landry and didn't. So in actual reality, we don't have a right to complain about the deal someone else offered.

• Like 1

Thanks to @OleXmad for the assist

Round 1

1.1 Hawaii Huaka'i Poi - Bradley Chubb, DE, N.C State                                             While Compton is set at edge with Clark and Clowney they're both FAs next year and Clowney is probably going to get a massive contract, compton adds a stud pass rusher across from whoever they re-sign. Wouldn't shock me to see them trade down to a team desperate for a QB either.

1.2 - Orlando Ospreys - Derwin James, SS, Florida State
Josh Rosen is a popular pick here. I'll believe it when I see it. What I see with Derwin James is a safety with range and the ability to play in the box if necessary. They could've taken Denzel Ward but the trade for Jason Verrett complicates that possibility.

1.3 - Oklahoma City Rogues - Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame

After the disaster that was last season for OKC, adding an interior lineman they can count on for 10+ seasons makes a ton of sense considering the state of their interior line, OKC could also draft Barkley but they have Mixon/Collins and RBs are a dime a dozen.

1.4 - Wichita Woodpeckers - Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State                                         This seems like an apt match as Wichita will need someone opposite Rahsaan Melvin. Ward might be the top defensive player in this class and in all likelihood has the easiest transition to his NFL assignment in comparison to the top DBs in this class.

1.5 - Camden Hood Rats- Sam Darnold, QB, USC                                                 

Camden enters the draft with no QB of note under center and has to address the position, Camden might go BPA but it'd be hard to pass up the QB of his choice here. 

1.6 - Charleston Dingos - Vita Vea, NT, Washington
Lets keep the theme of position needs influencing picks. Charleston will be eager to trade down, but they can't feel bad for adding a Nose Tackle with pass rush ability to their defense. Vea's upside as a three down lineman is the best investment of immediate impact at a position of need.

1.7 Berlin Blitzkrieg - Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State         

Berlin could stand to get an upgrade at the RB position and when they 3down Miller they'll have a dire need at the position, Plus Barkley is the BPA and provides fantastic value here.

1.8 Long Beach Leprechauns - Harold Landry, DE/OLB, Boston College 

I think Counselor is a bit disappointed SaQuan is gone, but he wins by essentially getting his ideal pass rusher. Landry fits the versatility they seemed to  embrace in last years draft. 

1.9 - Orlando ospreys - Minkah Fitzpatrick, S, Alabama 

Orlando will probably take the BPA and while Fitzpatrick doesn't fill a major need he could take Verrett's spot in the lineup once Orlando moves on from him plus he's a value here and flexibility allows him to be played at either S or CB.

1.10 - Gotham Gashslayers -  DaShawn Hand, DE, Alabama 
Gotham can go multiple ways and address a position of need. Hand is adept lining up inside for pass rush purposes or playing the edge spot that Watt plays. Gotham has a couple studs in the recently mentioned Watt and Leonard Floyd. However their recent health has had a major impact on the teams ability to compete with the elite level rosters.

1.11 Hawaii Huaka'i Po -Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama

None of the players available fill a massive need for compton so they go BPA and take a stud NT to compliment Rankins and Butler on the interior.  

1.12 Orlando - Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
This is why it's not impossible for Orlando to eschew a QB so early. Aside from being a Mahomes backer, they can take a top value guy and grab a QB they like in their later choices. Rosen gives a quality QB competition to a team known for drafting QBs that end up being round 1 selections(Paxton Lynch).

1.13 Cuba Smugglers - Joshua Jackson, CB, Iowa 

With Cuba basically hitting the reset button on their secondary by trading Trufant they have to address the CB position and Jackson should be a nice no.1/no.2 CB to start building it around. Wouldn't shock me to see them select Ridley either but CB is the bigger need.

1.14 - Oklahoma City Rogues - Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama 
Its a good thing to find plug and play guys. Ridley may be scrutinized to the public eye but he'll get immediate playing time for the team he ends up with. This also fills a significant need for OKC as Adam Thielen is their quality receiver right now.

1.15 Seoul Dragons - Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia 

With no major needs aside from the LB position Seoul can stand pat to take the BPA and smith fits that and fills a position of need, Seoul's roster has no weaknesses though so I can see them trading down to get more picks to fix their solid but iffy depth.

1.16 - Rome Eternals - Ronnie Harrison, S, Alabama
Rome is in a really interesting position. I think there's some talented guys at multiple positions which can improve their team. Perhaps the biggest issue is safety and Ronnie Harrison is the best available player at the position.

2.1 Orlando Ospreys - Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech 

I fully expect Orlando to address the LB position with one of their top 4 picks to find a new LB to pair with Wagner since Trevathan has struggled with injuries. 

2.2 - Ivory Coast Black Rhinos - Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M
It will be interesting to see what Ivory Coast does at this position. They do have a need at receiver because Samuel is unproven, White is nearing the end of his deal, and Robbie Anderson has some off the field stuff to clean up. Here is another guy that lines up everywhere something the last regime trended toward.

2.3 Orlando Ospreys - Mike McGlincey, OT, Notre Dame

Orlando can just stand pat and take the BPA and while McGlincey isn't a great prospect he's decent insurance for Lewan who is going to get expensive next year.

2.4 - Gotham Gashslayers - Derrius Guice, RB, LSU
I imagine Gotham had some interest in Leonard Fournette, Dalvin Cook, and Christian McCaffery last season, but the appeal of Reuben Foster was tempting enough to change their decision. If they get a chance this year at their choice of a top prospect like Guice it could be a good match for Carson Wentz.

2.5 - Camden Hoodrats- Sony Michel, RB, Georgia 

Camden could draft Barkley at no.5 if he makes it to their slot but they'r better off waiting for Michel or Guice, since Guice just went off the board it's time for Camden to address their dire need at the RB position, he should pair well with Johnson as well

2.6 - Sydney Dingos - Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State
If Charleston truly intends to make Dak their franchise player, improvements to his weapons are imperative. Though it's not SaQuan Barkley, Sydney nabs a high upside weapon from Penn State.

2.7 - Berlin Blitzkrieg -Billy Price, C, Ohio State 

This is probably a bit too early for price considering his injury but Berlin could stand to add a stout interior lineman to help protect Jameis and finally get them to the playoffs and it fills a position of need. Plus rags is probably too drunk to notice anything by this point in the draft.

2.8 - Cuba Smugglers - Lorenzo Carter, Edge, UGA
Positional value will have a major impact on the Cuba selection. They have a lot of investments at the edge position that will expire in the next off season. Lorenzo Carter is one of the multiple high ceiling high floor pass rushers in this draft.

2.9 - Louisiana Jizz -Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville

The Jizz need to come out of this draft with a QB since they traded away Dak Prescott and Tom Brady turning 40, Whichever leftover QB prospect makes it here will probably be the pick. 

2.10 Louisiana Jizz -  Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina 

While the Jizz do have Zack Ertz and Eric Ebron under contract Ebron kinda sucks and adding another TE to give them another passing game threat adds another layer to their offense even if he doesn't make an impact in year 1 like most TEs. I can see the Jizz going edge rusher here as well but none of the players available here are solid value. 

2.11 - Rome Eternals - Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville
Rome has shown to be comfortable in many situations taking BPA and not reaching for prospects. Alexander does not fill an immediate need but he's fast CB with man coverage ability.

2.12 - Orlando Ospreys - Marcus Davenport, DE, Texas-San Antonio 

Orlando could use some pass rush depth behind Bosa and Beasley, Davenport provides depth and helps bolster a loaded front seven.

2.13 - Cuba Smugglers  - Will Hernandez, LG, UTEP
Cuba has had bad luck drafting lineman in recent years, but that's partially attributed to drafting average talent that is picked high. Hernandez is a coveted prospect with film and body type of a starting lineman in the NFL. Incumbent starting LG Joe Berger is going to be a 36 year old free agent.

2.14 - Portland Horned owls - Carlton Davis, CB, Auburn 

Portland could stand to address the CB position despite some trades in the off-season, I also have some really good sources telling me that Portland could also go after a QB.

2.15 - Orlando Ospreys - Cortland Sutton, WR, SMU
Orlando is in the neat position of not having pressing needs but a variety of picks. They've checked most their needs but WR may be an underlying issue. Mike Evans will make it two receivers being paid over $11k if he is 3 upped. Sutton looks a lot like Evans and has the size fellow WR Allen Robinson has which Orlando values.

2.16 - Camden Hoodrats - Mike Hughes, CB, Central Florida 

Camden needs to improve it's secondary and Hughes is a solid fix for a shaky CB group, plus Camden could use some youth on the backend.

3.1 - Hawaii Huaka'i Poi - DJ Moore, WR, Maryland

As of now receiver is not a need for Hawaii. However they would've started this draft with multiple DLineman and already traded for MLB Brandon Marshall. They've got the reigning defensive rookie at CB, but I think DJ Moore can become an immediate threat to Doctson and Carlos Henderson. WR would become much more pressing if someone is willing to make a bid on Diggs.

3.2 Ivory Black Rhinos -  Equanimeous St. Brown, WR, Notre Dame 

The Ivory Rhinos will be desperate for reciever help given their top WR is playing Robby Anderson, Brown is a solid prospect who fills an immediate need and should provide an immediate impact in year 1. I could also see them targeting a RB to pair with Mariota but none are worth taking here.

3.3 - Oklahoma City Rogues - Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma
I think Cam Newton is the answer but there are two things to consider. One is Newton hasn't been the most durable player. Two, Mayfield's Oklahoma ties could be too appealing to Whicker if he believes in the QB like Joe Mixon, another player whom was openly criticized during the pre draft process. 

3.4 - Berlin Blitzkrieg - JC Jackson, CB, Maryland 

Berlin's secondary is a mess right now with Berry injured and Gipson being medicore, While Bouye is a fine no.1 CB and Conley looks like he'll be a solidish no.2 CB Berlin has no one of note behind them.

3.5 - Orlando Ospreys - Branden Smith, OG, Auburn
Checking off needs here. Perhaps the one legitimate weakness Orlando had was against strong interior pass rushes. In this instance Orlando gets a player who can help in that area.

3.6 - Sydney Dingos -  Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia 

Adding weapons and improving the overall offense around Dak should be Charleston's draft priority and Chubb should fill the role of Elliot in Sydney's backfield, They do have Gordon but he's injury prone and been a disappointment through two seasons so far and Chubb is decent insurance for him. 

3.7 - Berlin Blitzkrieg - DJ Chark, WR, LSU
Berlin would have gone pretty far in the draft without addressing the receiver position. If Rags is to be believed Calvin Ridley will at the very least be in consideration for pick 1.7, thus I can't envision them making 4 selections and completely avoiding that position.

3.8 - Long Beach Leprechauns - James Washington, WR, Oklahoma St 

Long Beach could stand to address a number of positions with this pick, preferably an interior defender but none are worth taking here so they'll settle for a solid WR prospect. 

3.9 - Gotham Gashslayers - Leighton Vander Esch, ILB, Boise St
Some provisions with this pick. 1) Vander Esch may not have the character Gotham likes in their ILBs. Inspite of this, it's excellent value for a guy who will garner round 1 considerations and likely off the board in round. 2) Though Reuben Foster had terrific production he's already shown trust will be something to monitor during his career and Navarro Bowman is not the same guy that signed for $6,100/year.

3.10 - Hawaii Huaka'i Po - Kolton Miller OT, UCLA 

Hawaii takes an OT to be the long term successor to Andrew Whitworth and help pad their depth on the o-line.

3.11 - Camden Hoodrats - Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan
This pick is a calculated risk but by this point I imagine many people will be willing to do so with a guy like Hurst. Of all the BDL teams, Camden seems to be the most likely willing team to invest into those sub 300 DL that win of athleticism and technique rather than size. Additionally, with David Irving and Grady Jarrett likely to receive offers next year via RFA, Camden would be wise to add potential solutions before they are forced to take action toward their interior DL.

3.12 - Louisiana Jizz - Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama

I fully expect Louisiana to double dip at the LB position and Evans is too good to pass up here considering the Jizz's dire need at the position. 

3.13 - Cuba Smugglers - Malik Jefferson, ILB, Texas
It is hard to imagine Cuba making 4 picks and not grabbing a FSU product. Due to positional value, they may continue their stance. Aside from the major Trufant trade, the team also traded Brandon Marshall earlier this off season. Jefferson may not be a plug and play type of guy but he can begin the transition period as the team looks to replace guys whom have given them quality years.

3.14 - Hawaii Huaka'i Po - Ronald Jones II, RB, USC

It'd be a shock if Hawaii didn't address the RB position at some point and here they are finally doing it, Jones fills an immediate need and should be able to contribute in year 1 depending on where he lands IRL

3.15 - Camden Hoodrats - Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado
There are plenty of quality options for Camden in this situation. They've got a minor need for depth at the CB position and doubled up on Colorado guys last season. This move would relegate Chidobe Awuzie to the slot, his natural position.

3.16 - Rome Eternals - Tim Settle, DT, Virginia Tech

Rome could use a pass rushing DT next to Brockers and Settle brings that skillset, also couldn't hurt to add some depth to a thin interior d-line.

Edited by MD4L
Formatting junkies
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, MD4L said:

1.5 - Camden Hood Rats- Sam Darnold, QB, USC                                                 

Camden enters the draft with no QB of note under center and has to address the position, Camden might go BPA but it'd be hard to pass up the QB of his choice here.

I don't hate Darnold. But you know me, if anyone goes BPA ITS YA BOY.

2.5 - Camden Hoodrats- Sony Michel, RB, Georgia 

Camden could draft Barkley at no.5 if he makes it to their slot but they'r better off waiting for Michel or Guice, since Guice just went off the board it's time for Camden to address their dire need at the RB position, he should pair well with Johnson as well

I like Michel.

2.16 - Camden Hoodrats - Mike Hughes, CB, Central Florida 

Camden needs to improve it's secondary and Hughes is a solid fix for a shaky CB group, plus Camden could use some youth on the backend.

Youth on the back end? I got a secondary full of babies.

3.11 - Camden Hoodrats - Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan
This pick is a calculated risk but by this point I imagine many people will be willing to do so with a guy like Hurst. Of all the BDL teams, Camden seems to be the most likely willing team to invest into those sub 300 DL that win of athleticism and technique rather than size. Additionally, with David Irving and Grady Jarrett likely to receive offers next year via RFA, Camden would be wise to add potential solutions before they are forced to take action toward their interior DL.

This would be wise.

3.15 - Camden Hoodrats - Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado
There are plenty of quality options for Camden in this situation. They've got a minor need for depth at the CB position and doubled up on Colorado guys last season. This move would relegate Chidobe Awuzie to the slot, his natural position.

It would be great if I had a secondary with 3 CB's from Colorado.

• Like 2

Just for everyone's information on future mock drafts, I'm not an OU homer. If anything I'm less inclined to take OU players because I actually watch them play. 

My Mixon "homer" pick came from the fact that I talked with a ton of people who knew Mixon personally and vouched for his character and desire to move on from his controversy in a positive way. It has nothing to do with me wanting him because he went to OU. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MD4L said:

2.2 - Ivory Coast Black Rhinos - Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M
It will be interesting to see what Ivory Coast does at this position. They do have a need at receiver because Samuel is unproven, White is nearing the end of his deal, and Robbie Anderson has some off the field stuff to clean up. Here is another guy that lines up everywhere something the last regime trended toward.

3.2 Ivory Black Rhinos -  Equanimeous St. Brown, WR, Notre Dame 

The Ivory Rhinos will be desperate for reciever help given their top WR is playing Robby Anderson, Brown is a solid prospect who fills an immediate need and should provide an immediate impact in year 1. I could also see them targeting a RB to pair with Mariota but none are worth taking here.

Interesting to see the mock show me double dipping at wide receiver. White is no longer worthy of being on the roster, I do think he's got potential but can't afford to be paying 4k+ for a guy who can't make it a month into the season. Thing will be interesting to see what we can negotiate with Brandin Cooks as a potential 3-Up candidate to alleviate some of those receiver concerns.

• Like 3

Question: If I go ahead and use the 5th year option on Brandin Cooks, then later the Patriots negotiate an extension for him that lowers his cap number, does that mean:

1. I am unable to lower my cap hit for the current year if I wanted to extend Cooks, and

2. Does he then count as a 3-Up once I use his extension

Trying to decide whether I should sit and wait a few days to see if the Pats give him a new deal or if I need to go ahead and use the option and deal with it next year (or later this year).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Question: If I go ahead and use the 5th year option on Brandin Cooks, then later the Patriots negotiate an extension for him that lowers his cap number, does that mean:

1. I am unable to lower my cap hit for the current year if I wanted to extend Cooks, and

2. Does he then count as a 3-Up once I use his extension

Trying to decide whether I should sit and wait a few days to see if the Pats give him a new deal or if I need to go ahead and use the option and deal with it next year (or later this year).

You can't give a player more than one contract per season so if you give him the 5th year option you're locked into it. I could be wrong on that since we do allow 100% extensions but I don't remember if we allow those for people on contracts they signed that year.

If you 3upped him you'd be using the franchise tag number until he got a deal (Which isn't a certainty with how stingy New England is)

I'd say 5th year option him, but wait a bit to see if he gets a new deal.