Is Tanking Explicitly Against The Rules?

the lone star

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-nba-approves-draft-lottery-reform-to-prevent-tanking-and-player-resting-rules/

These are the new rules that'll go into affect 2019.

Basically gives the same odds to the top three teams instead of favoring the worst team overall.

Also, give Adam Silver the power to fine teams that are resting healthy players, and teams are encouraged to rest players at home and not rest players during prime time events.

7 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-nba-approves-draft-lottery-reform-to-prevent-tanking-and-player-resting-rules/

These are the new rules that'll go into affect 2019.

Basically gives the same odds to the top three teams instead of favoring the worst team overall.

Also, give Adam Silver the power to fine teams that are resting healthy players, and teams are encouraged to rest players at home and not rest players during prime time events.

Yeah, I heard about that when they first broke news about it. I kinda like it.

No, just ways to dissuade it (like changing the lottery). PMT brought up a genius tanking idea, and if any team ever attempted it, then we may seem some bizarre anti-tank rules. The only real downside of tanking is losing fan interest, even if only temporary, an owner's first goal is to make money, win second. However, this idea makes your team lose and make money. The idea was that a team that wants to tank should just sign the PMT guys (or just think any popular figure) and play them, you would probably put more fans in the stadium than you would even if you were contending. I don't think the interest would ever wear off as you could cycle through people to put out there, but at the cost the NBA would become somewhat of a circus, which is why it would get shut down early if any team ever did it. 

That's interesting. If I were an owner though, I probably wouldn't go that route. I'd do what the Mavs are doing. Get guys that have fallen through the cracks, try to coach them up, but then just make sure you lose the game in the 4th quarter, lol.

Stuff like that should be against the rules though, although it's tough to prove. But I see it as a legitimate strategy in the absence of any rules.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22532215/mark-cuban-dallas-mavericks-owner-fined-600000-tanking-comments

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has been fined $600,000 by the NBA for saying his team should tank this season.

Cuban called tanking "brutal" but acknowledged that he told his team that it would be best to lose for the rest of the 2017-18 season.

Commissioner Adam Silver said in a statement that the fine was for "for public statements detrimental to the NBA."

Tanking might not be explicitly against the rules, but saying you are tanking seems like it is.

The fact that teams do this is pathetic. AND, the fact that grown *** men go along with that notion is even more pathetic. Take your *** whoopings like a man and do better. Don't just give up on the year especially if you want me to buy a $50 hamburger and beer at your games.

And to think I wanted Mark Cuban to finesse Peter Angelos out of the Orioles. PASS

On 2/21/2018 at 4:14 PM, RuskieTitan said:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22532215/mark-cuban-dallas-mavericks-owner-fined-600000-tanking-comments

Tanking might not be explicitly against the rules, but saying you are tanking seems like it is.

Cuban says a lot. He has always struck me as a guy who makes stuff up. So ionno if he did tell them or not. Probably did, but he has a tendency for dramatizing and overplaying things.

On 2/22/2018 at 12:51 AM, RavensfanRD said:

The fact that teams do this is pathetic. AND, the fact that grown *** men go along with that notion is even more pathetic. Take your *** whoopings like a man and do better. Don't just give up on the year especially if you want me to buy a $50 hamburger and beer at your games.

And to think I wanted Mark Cuban to finesse Peter Angelos out of the Orioles. PASS

So you think the players and coaches purposely lose? Because nah, it's a front office decision. Love the heat of the take though 

7 hours ago, champ11 said:

So you think the players and coaches purposely lose? Because nah, it's a front office decision. Love the heat of the take though 

Yep. No coach is going to risk job security by losing games on purpose and NBA players are to competitive to just lose on purpose.

10 hours ago, champ11 said:

Doesn't matter who decision it is, the players still gotta go through with it. 

And thanks! I'm sick of the crybaby generation this world has become.

Archived