2017-18 College Football Scouting (Page 2)

Bobby816

24 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Random, but apparently Arden Key is projected in the 3rd or 4th now per most, which is pretty crazy.  

I know, at the end of the 2016 season he was considered a top ten prospect.  Now he has too many red flags. Lance Zierlein at NFL.Com outlines his weaknesses.

Weaknesses
  • Evaluators are worried about his personal discipline
  • Left team for four months in spring of 2017 for "personal reasons" and had shoulder surgery during that time
  • Saw weight balloon up to 270 pounds
  • Segmented mover and lacks fluidity
  • Liability in run game
  • Struggles to dominate tight ends at point of attack
  • Slow to shed
  • Tightness in hips as an upfield strider
  • Lacked juice even after losing 20 pounds during the season
  • Upfield rush plan was predictable and sluggish in 2017
  • Shows lead hand early allowing tackles to slap it away before landing
  • Two-hand swipe ineffective at greasing edge
  • Telegraphs spin move
  • Plays with wasted motion on the edge
  • Uninspired when dropping into coverage
  • Plays upright and is lackadaisical in zone

1 hour ago, barnaby8787 said:

Random, but apparently Arden Key is projected in the 3rd or 4th now per most, which is pretty crazy.  

I want nothing to do with him.  We are finally building a locker room full of guys that wanna go out there and do whatever it takes to win, and Key just doesn't seem like that kind of guy.  I don't understand the appeal of him.  6'6 is great, but 238lbs at the combine is rough for a dude that tall.  Also he is supposed to be a guy that wins with speed and quickness, and he ran a 4.85 40 at his pro day.  That is like a 4.90+ at the combine since pro days are always faster.  That is glacial for a guy his size.  He is Aaron Maybin with a worse work ethic and a really weird attitude.  He answers questions in odd ways.  I wouldn't take this guy before the 5th round personally.

I would much prefer Nwosu, Sweat, Holland, Ogbonnia, Leonard, and probably several others in the mid rounds over Key.

2 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

I want nothing to do with him.  We are finally building a locker room full of guys that wanna go out there and do whatever it takes to win, and Key just doesn't seem like that kind of guy.  I don't understand the appeal of him.  6'6 is great, but 238lbs at the combine is rough for a dude that tall.  Also he is supposed to be a guy that wins with speed and quickness, and he ran a 4.85 40 at his pro day.  That is like a 4.90+ at the combine since pro days are always faster.  That is glacial for a guy his size.  He is Aaron Maybin with a worse work ethic and a really weird attitude.  He answers questions in odd ways.  I wouldn't take this guy before the 5th round personally.

I would much prefer Nwosu, Sweat, Holland, Ogbonnia, Leonard, and probably several others in the mid rounds over Key.

I'm not saying I want anything to do with him, but found it interesting how far he dropped post-combine.  To me, he's Mingo 2.0.

42 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

*USC Quarterbacks

*Air Raid QBs or players in general

*Wisconsin Running Backs

*Alabama O-Linemen

Historically, Bama has actually produced a lot of good NFL lineman, but they've been god awful over the past 10 years or so.

21 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I think the ILB position is a big one to keep an eye on. None of ours are locked in as a starter for next season and there are some interesting names out there in the 4-6 round range. 

Williamson is 100% locked in as a starter

Archived