Draft Discussion 3.0

NudeTayne

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

For sure, but to this I’d argue Ogunjobi and Brantley should have seen the field a bit more and perhaps Williams needed to scheme for pressure more.  

Id have love to have seen Jabrill blitz a time or two instead of lining up behind the back judge.

We didn’t have the talent to be great regardless, but I’d argue we’ve had less talented defenses that have played better against the pass in previous years using a more traditional scheme.

Yeah, but we had way better DBs too, our defensive backfields have been pretty nice 

Haden, Skrine, Gipson, Ward was pretty damn good for our standards

8 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

- If you don't believe in the corners you inherit, you want them to do something they aren't good at doing, getting burnt continuously when you know from the start they aren't good in the first place? come on bro?

Variety is the spice of life. Failure is lining corners 7-10 yards off the LOS on 3rd and 3.

- FS is near the North Pole because Williams doesn't believe in the CBs so he declared that you have to beat him with small ball

Which teams did, with irritating regularity.

Not to mention that he basically took Peppers, a guy with supposed play-making skills,  not only away from his strengths but arguably out of the game.

- His double dog blitzes were his most effective blitzes 

He swung and missed on way more than he hit.

- This post reeks of an ill-informed fan, so according to you we should just press up and get beat time after time, Williams did the best he could with the talent he had.

That is not a logical conclusion to draw from what I said. You sound like Dizzy.

- Wimpish? seriously? I actually give Williams credit for having the foresight to know his DBs were garbage and being smart enough to set his defense to bend but not break mode instead of reckless like you suggest.

Seriously.

I think weakness in Williams' approach is revealed by two stats:  (1) Low number of takeaways (32nd in the league); and (2) Sacks (30th in the league).

You can pin some of it on lack of talented DBs.

But the rest can be pinned on poor use of available D talent (e.g., Peppers as the most glaring example) and poor, forgiving -- wimpish -- schemes.

You literally have to say that about any prospect in this draft. 

Outside of Barkley and a couple of the QBs, agree, which doesn't detract from the observation, which calls into question the wisdom of using a high pick on any DB.

12 hours ago, bruceb said:

Outside of Barkley and a couple of the QBs, agree, which doesn't detract from the observation, which calls into question the wisdom of using a high pick on any DB.

Any  top rated DB outside of the top 10 in this draft is fair game for us IMO

In an ideal world, for me, we take Sam Darnold at 1, and trade out of 4 for a 2019 1st to somewhere we can still grab the best player at his position, like a Denzel Ward. I saw a video on Minkah and it suggested his best fit is centerfielding free safety. We seem to have Randall for that now.

12 hours ago, bruceb said:

Variety is the spice of life. Failure is lining corners 7-10 yards off the LOS on 3rd and 3.

Which teams did, with irritating regularity.

Not to mention that he basically took Peppers, a guy with supposed play-making skills,  not only away from his strengths but arguably out of the game.

He swung and missed on way more than he hit.

That is not a logical conclusion to draw from what I said. You sound like Dizzy.

Seriously.

I think weakness in Williams' approach is revealed by two stats:  (1) Low number of takeaways (32nd in the league); and (2) Sacks (30th in the league).

You can pin some of it on lack of talented DBs.

But the rest can be pinned on poor use of available D talent (e.g., Peppers as the most glaring example) and poor, forgiving -- wimpish -- schemes.

- I apologize for the tone I took, it just struck a never so that's #1

- As far as the two stats, 100% agreed, we couldn't take the ball away and we couldn't get home on pass rush/blitz

- As far as poor use of talent, I figure Williams saw Peppers as the best athlete and knew he was a good enough athlete to not let anything get behind him maybe?AZX

33 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

- As far as poor use of talent, I figure Williams saw Peppers as the best athlete and knew he was a good enough athlete to not let anything get behind him maybe?AZX

Williams could have played me at free safety and nothing would have got behind me if I got to line up 25 yards from the LOS.

Peppers is an athlete, but he wasn’t used to playing in that kind of space (who is?).  I can’t help but think a player who is used to playing FS such as Nacua would have played just as well.

Im just glad they came senses and moved him to SS.

Let's go dudes, don't mess this up.

Draft Darnold at #1

At #4, Buffalo should probably trade 12, 21, and a 2019 1st to get Josh Allen, who they are OPENLY talking about how much they want.

Let's do this thing!!!!!!!!

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Let's go dudes, don't mess this up.

Draft Darnold at #1

At #4, Buffalo should probably trade 12, 21, and a 2019 1st to get Josh Allen, who they are OPENLY talking about how much they want.

Let's do this thing!!!!!!!!

I want more then that no way that’s enough when the broncos and cards are likely in the mix 

1 minute ago, bosko1616 said:

I want more then that no way that’s enough when the broncos and cards are likely in the mix 

I don't think you're getting more than 3 1st rounders to move up 8 slots for the 3rd best QB in the draft.

16 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I don't think you're getting more than 3 1st rounders to move up 8 slots for the 3rd best QB in the draft.

Why ? How much would you pay for a franchise QB ? especially if they believe all of them are fairly close. I think the Bills believe they are close to contending. Franchise QB would be the final piece. 12,21,53,65 and 2019 1st. Would be my price. Why ? Broncos,Cardinals,Dolphins all need QBs. 

14 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

Why ?

Because of both the new and the old (Jimmy Johnson) value chart for one.

Secondly, because of the precedent of recent trades where teams moved up higher (1 and 2 overall) for less (See, the Rams and Eagles) AND for a higher touted QB (#1 ranked and #2 ranked, compared to the 3rd best QB in this draft).

How much would you pay for a franchise QB ? 

For a #1 or a #2 ranked QB, I think that 2-3 1st rounders is possible, but still pushing the envelope, let alone the 3rd best QB.

especially if they believe all of them are fairly close.

Close isn't equal, especially when evaluating QBs and considering they already have a question mark/average QB in McCarron locked up for a year or two. They aren't completely desperate.

I think the Bills believe they are close to contending. Franchise QB would be the final piece. 12,21,53,65 and 2019 1st. Would be my price. Why ? Broncos,Cardinals,Dolphins all need QBs. 

And if I'm the Bills, I'd tell you that I'm not trading 3 1sts, 1 2nd and the highest 3rd round pick, or 5 top 65 picks for the 3rd best QB and a giant question mark/project in Josh Allen, who is a MINIMUM from a year or even two years away from being ready. If they're close to contending, why trade 5 high picks for a guy who isn't ready yet? It makes no sense.

Archived