Draft Discussion 3.0

NudeTayne

1 hour ago, big poppa pump said:

Anyone do any scouting of Taven Bryan?  Was just reading a bit on him, and watched some highlights.  Looks like a stud 3 tech, but I don't know if he makes it out of the first. Would he just be a luxury pick if he makes it to the top of the 2nd?  Or would his value there be too good to pass up?

Eh, he's alright, I'd rather take a talented developmental guy which this is a good year for (Nathan Shepherd, PJ Hall, Andrew Brown, James Looney), we are already in good shape at that position and I honestly have my eye on next year which looks like an all time year for DT (Ed Oliver, Dexter Lawrence, Rashan Gary, Christian Wilkins,Jeffrey Simmons, Raekwon Davis, Dre'Mont Jones and Terry Beckner Jr all are studs). I would be so upset if we draft Bryan and he is just ok and we have to pass on one of these legit studs (and this only if Ogunjobi and Brantley aren't studs) because we took Bryan in the 2nd and have to play him because we took him so high. 

* I have Gary as a 3 tech

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Mayfield hasn't thrown a single NFL pass. To say he's a better NFL passer is errant. If you're talking about college passer, Mayfield is obviously better.

Again, we will see after Mayfield plays a single NFL down whether or not he's a better passer.

I said " I wouldn't be shocked if Mayfield is a better passer as a rookie than Cam is." That isn't the same as saying he is or has proven to be a better NFL passer, that would be silly.

Reading between the lines here:

1. Good chance the Jets like Mayfield, if not the Browns/Giants

2. Chubb is going to NY Giants or Cleveland, unless there is a trade at #2 or #4

3. The Chargers may be trying to find that Rivers replacement

4. Arizona likes Allen, possibly Buffalo as well, if not teams higher than them

37 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Yeah I’ve been calling Mayfield to the Jets since they traded up. He’s a perfect match. Broadway Baker just works. 

My question now is who in here will become a Jets fan? ?? hee hee won’t you come follow mee? ??

Baker's not making it to the Jets.

1. Browns: Baker Mayfield

2. Giants: Sam Darnold

3. Jets: Josh Rosen

4. Browns: Bradley Chubb

BOOK IT...

6 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

BOOK IT...

I'm torn on SO many levels.

I love Sam Darnold. If we don't get him, I'm going to be super angry/crushed. His desire to come to Cleveland despite all of the other things that I love about him makes it almost too good to be true at this point.

I loathe Josh Allen and think that he's a definite bust. If we draft a QB that isn't him, I'll feel some sort of relief, followed soon by anger at passing on Darnold. 

I don't want Chubb at #4, but I think it would at least make some sense if they think that he's a bookend and insurance policy for Myles and his injuries.

18 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Mayfield left very little that he could have done better in college as far as his play. Some people say it was because of weak defenses or surrounding talent so him doing his part means little to nothing. Many feel playing poorly with excuses is better than playing great with support. Doubt anyone is going to change their mind but Mayfield is certainly top 5 all time college passers no matter what you factor in. Whether he proves himself yet again in the pros remains to be seen (as with every draft selection) but my money is on him succeeding. Doesn't mean he'll be the best of the class but I predict he will be a very good NFL QB...might play a little too safe but that changes a lot going from college to the pros so we will see.

I definitely agree with this sentiment. I originally had Rosen as my #1 QB with Mayfield #2, but switched them due to Rosen's injuries and his higher number of turnovers. It is remarkable how little Mayfield turns the ball over. He is incredibly efficient with the football. He also surprisingly has the second strongest arm in the class behind Allen in tracked velocity at the combine. Mayfield seems to be a great candidate to sit behind Tyrod Taylor as they have some similarities. I think the key if we draft Mayfield will be to keep/acquire as many weapons as possible, stabilize our O-line, and mix in some familiar concepts when he eventually takes over the job.

35 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

BOOK IT...

I remember Darnold going back to school like it was yesterday. ☹️

The idea that Baker Mayfield is a better QB than Sam Darnold is understandable given statistical indicators and general measures of career success/production (Heisman, transformed culture of a program, etc.).

However, for the life of me I can't understand how one can watch all of their film over the last 2 years and not see the clear difference in rare anticipatory throws from the pocket, poise under blitz pressure, poise, pinpoint accuracy, and big time throws in big game moments. Such things with Darnold really prove his rare natural vision, instincts, and ability for the game that is a notch above Mayfield....and it's not even close.

The Penn State game isn't even close to some of Darnold's best work...in my scouting notebook I have 9 games in Darnold's career where the anticipation throws, poise, blitz avoidance movement, big time throw from the pocket, creativity off platform, late game heroics, 4th quarter grit, were on display... I feel like a lot of casual fans don't have the time or care to watch these other games (I understand as work is the worst).

For Mayfield there are really only 5 games where such rare skills are displayed....Mayfield and the Lincoln Riley offense are a on-time, quick production machine.

What Mayfield has CLEARLY over Darnold is Turnover avoidance....that's the whole thing that kills the perception of Darnold.

However, most have not charted the fact that out of all Darnold's fumbles this year 7 (yes, seven) of them were "mesh-point fumbles in the read option" meaning he either held onto the ball to long or the RB didn't get it// the handoff caused the fumble. The other fumbles were him being careless with the ball running around with one hand or carelessly onehanding the ball in the pocket.  A lot of those can be cleaned up. As for the INTs, last year with a 31TD-9INT it wasn't a problem... this year Sam tried to do too much and made some poor reads....,but Andrew Luck throws a ton of INTs as do other great QBs...as long as they are doubling up or more with TDs and big time plays...you can live with some INTs...especially when the INTs don't come late game...which for Darnold they do not come late game or in critical moments as evidence of his 4th quarter and final 8-minute INT rate.

Baker is also more of a rare outward emotion leader and has special emotional intelligence in that regard.

What Baker has is a great skill set for a QB, but along with the emotional immaturity at 23 years old that comes with it, his special leadership ability does not outshines Sam's already rare instinctual and natural QB gifts, especially because Sam Darnold is more mature and almost 3 years younger.

It's a no-brainer... and I can't believe we're going to pass on him.... it makes my brain hurt...

The Giants are going to be tingling in their pants and laughing at our stupidity....

8 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

The idea that Baker Mayfield is a better QB than Sam Darnold understandable given statistical indicators and general measures of career success/production (Heisman, transformed culture of a program, etc.).

However, for the life of me I can't understand how one can watch all of their film over the last 2 years and not see the clear difference in rare anticipatory throws from the pocket, poise under blitz pressure, poise, pinpoint accuracy, and bit time throws in big game moments. Such things with Darnold really prove his rare natural vision, instincts, and ability for the game that is a notch above Mayfield....and it's not even close.

The Penn State game isn't even close to some of Darnold's best work...in my scouting notebook I have 9 games in Darnold's career where the anticipation throws, poise, blitz avoidance movement, big time throw from the pocket, creativity off platform, late game heroics, 4th quarter grit, were on display... I feel like a lot of casual fans don't have the time or care to watch these other games (I understand as work is the worst).

For Mayfield there are really only 5 games where such rare skills are displayed....Mayfield and the Lincoln Riley offense are a on-time, quick production machine.

What Mayfield has CLEARLY over Darnold is Turnover avoidance....that's the whole thing that kills the perception of Darnold.

However, most have not charted the fact that out of all Darnold's fumbles this year 7 (yes, seven) of them were "mesh-point fumbles in the read option" meaning he either held onto the ball to long or the RB didn't get it// the handoff caused the fumble. The other fumbles were him being careless with the ball running around with one hand or carelessly onehanding the ball in the pocket.  A lot of those can be cleaned up. As for the INTs, last year with a 31TD-9INT it wasn't a problem... this year Sam tried to do too much and made some poor reads....,but Andrew Luck throws a ton of INTs as do other great QBs...as long as they are doubling up or more with TDs and big time plays...you can live with some INTs...especially when the INTs don't come late game...which for Darnold they do not come late game or in critical moments as evidence of his 4th quarter and final 8-minute INT rate.

Baker is also more of a rare outward emotion leader and has special emotional intelligence in that regard.

What Baker has is a great skill set for a QB, but along with the emotional immaturity at 23 years old that comes with it, his special leadership ability does not outshines Sam's already rare instinctual and natural QB gifts, especially because Sam Darnold is more mature and almost 3 years younger.

It's a no-brainer... and I can't believe we're going to pass on him.... it makes my brain hurt...

The Giants are going to be tingling in their pants and laughing at our stupidity....

Great post. 

Except we are drafting Darnold. ?

Archived