The Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame band wagon thread!

aceinthehouse

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

Nelson would be a strong pick, and he is definitely on my imaginary short list for pick #13.

I'm all for building the team strength in the trenches, so long as the addition really is legit.. and I think Nelson is. 

As far as the future cap concerns from Sir Turtle28... right now, I am looking at the Alex Smith experiment as a 2-3 year journey. Have to look at the current QB of the team, as that's a big part of whether the team is in that win-now mode, or in rebuild mode.

So to me, the window for the Super Bowl hunt is 2018-2020. Probably more of a 2019 season. 

( we have to assume a few things, unless we are legit prognosticators )

Trent Williams - LT - 29 years old - Current contract is looking good through 2020. 

LG - ?

Chase Roullier - C - 24 yrs old - Current contract is looking good through 2020. 

Brandon Scherff - RG - 26 yrs old - Current contract gets that 5th yr option through 2019. Will need an appropriate extension soon.

Morgan Moses - RT - 26 yrds old - Locked up through 2022.

Now that I look at this? I say Washington can select Nelson. He will have a reasonable rookie contract number. See how things go over this win-now-window, and reexamine it in a couple of years. 

:)

Yea, Quenton Nelson would look good in that LG spot.

don't know his BD. He's 21-22 yrs old. Born in 1996. No idea the month...

We would have Nelson locked in till 2023.

Our line would definitely rival Dallas.

1 minute ago, aceinthehouse said:

oh and 1 more thing.

we need our o-line to be awesome. Cause the Eagles D-line is very good.

we need to beat the eagles in the trenches.

I'm on board with this philosophy. Doesn't HAVE to be a 1st rd OL added, but it sure can't hurt. 

Can't stress enough how important a good OL is to your new starting QB. Most/all quarterbacks, sure.. but especially QBs like Alex. 

Having a great OL can also make less than great RBs look pretty damn good too. 

I can't think of ONE single good LG in Alex Smith's career, lol. Not ONE. 

2 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

Your making big assumptions . Nelson gonna be cheaper than Norwel and we aren't paying qb money . I believe you " told " me once that the cap space will grow which is fine .

i don't see why we should not invest on the offensive line . We need a new LG and I would like a new center .

We can invest in the OL w/o taking the top OL in the draft or signing the top OG in free agency and paying him near what we pay our All-Pro LT.

I want to invest in our OL, I just don’t want to pay out the nose for it or spend another top 15 pick on an interior OL.

There are plenty of players we can sign and draft who will be able to fill the LG position including re-signing Spencer Long which is my preference for continuity and knowledge of our offense.

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

I'm on board with this philosophy. Doesn't HAVE to be a 1st rd OL added, but it sure can't hurt. 

Can't stress enough how important a good OL is to your new starting QB. Most/all quarterbacks, sure.. but especially QBs like Alex. 

Having a great OL can also make less than great RBs look pretty damn good too. 

I can't think of ONE single good LG in Alex Smith's career, lol. Not ONE. 

Mike Iupati, former All-Pro LG for the 49ers.

Just now, oldman9er said:

Nice! Well done. 

However, I'll add that Mike was not a good pass blocker until 2012, so Alex at least did indeed have a good LG for 8.5 weeks! 

I wouldn’t say he was awful as a pass blocker though. I agree that his strength was certainly run blocking.

26 minutes ago, 4209 said:

As I have said before we can't stop the run and neither can we run the ball. Therefore I am find with drafting an OL or DL at 13. We must start in the trenches.

The run scheme sucks and our running backs except for Chris Thompson have all missed open holes or been too slow to get to the open holes since 2015. Draft a running back who’s more durable and bigger than Thompson and quicker and faster than Perine will fix our run game. Then, Re-sign Long, draft a mid round C/G to develop behind him and Roullier and re-sign Kouandjio for depth. Then, if Gruden calls run plays more consistently, our running game will improve.

Archived