Off Season moves outside of QB

soflbillsfan

A lot of the topics have been about the QB position, so I though about adding a different thread. I wanted to talk about other positions that may impact the bills future, whether it is extensions, cuts, trades or additions to the roster. Name some and why you think it is a good move.

My two extensions that I believe could benefit the bills is Richie Incognito, and Kelvin Benjamin. Yes Richie Incognito had a questionable ending with the slur that may have been said or may have not been said. Either way as fans we do not know what went on however we do know that he performed once again at a pro bowl level and was a solid anchor on the offensive line. With a few penalties he had he still graded out as top talent in the league. Going on 34-35 years old and 1 year left on his contract I think the bills should extend him another year if not 2 and the $7.75 mil cap could reduce and leave some cap space for other signings. Another person I feel is a long term answer on the bills roster is Kelvin Benjamin. Beane didn't spend a 3rd and 7th rd pick to bring in a guy for a year and half. I see him as the bills #1 target and he could get a contract similar to Alshon Jeffrey's which was 4 years 52 million (13 per year) hopefully a 4 year 40 mil would be better but somewhere along those lines can give any qb a massive target and a big red zone threat. 

Some have mentioned cutting hughes, I do not necessarily agree with that as it doesn't benefit the bills financially this year and the pass rush is so thin that it would be a glaring need. Not going to blame outside factors on why his sack rate went down but having a thin DT squad hurt him as well as the coaching style which McDermotts plays leave minimal blitzing and pass rush which had hughes dropping in coverage can be argued on this. I think another year on bills squad would be wise and if he doesnt perform as well as he is getting paid then next offseason is where you cut him as that will clear up 9-11 million in cap space.

I would like to tag the ERFA to those who are allowed to get it including O'leary as they all have been deserved to keep and the price is cheap.

I would like to see the bills resign EJ Gaines for the right price, the bills passing d was solid and he played a huge part in that. When he was injured the pass d dropped a bit as Wright was being abused at times. I think a 3 year 20 mil deal would be acceptable anything more then that they may need to find another option.

Leonard Johnson is another guy that I think deserves to be re-signed as he played fairly well in the slot and he would likely be cheap 3 years 4-6 million.

Bringing in Albert Wilson would be a nice addition to whoever is qb. He ran a 4.37 in his proday so he is fairly quick and could be the deep threat the bills need. He can be had for 3-5 mil a year which is very reasonable.

If bills do not go big in FA with QB I would like for the bills to spend big at DT as they can land 2 of these 4 guys. I also believe that Kyle Williams will retire if not then bringing him back for another year around 5-6 mil should get him signed. If not then I would like to see them go after Star, Poe, RIchardson, or Wilkerson (once he is cut which will be likely in the next couple weeks before his guarantees kick in). Setting the trenches was a huge issue for the bills last year especially against the run bringing in 2 of them will allow the bills to shut it down. I really like Wilkerson if he is willing to play he can fill in at any position along the front 4 and dominate as he proved that with the jets, but my concern is he may not have the passion to perform at a high level as I noticed this in 2017 season with the jets.

Nigel Bradham would be a nice addition as well as a familiar face in case Preston Brown isn't resigned.

Vontae Davis for the right price on a prove it deal could be a nice depth move or even a starter if Ej Gaines isn't resigned to play opposite to White and would be fairly cheap.

If Cordy Glenn stays then Dawkins moves back to RT, I can see the bills moving on from Mills. 

I would like to cut ties with John Miller who was inactive for majority of the season. It started being a healthy scratch but he was injured later in the year during practice which he couldnt recover from. That will clear up almost 2 million. Another guy is Vlad Ducasse at times he was just lost out there and was the biggest liability on the oline, again it will clear up close to 2 million in cap space. 

Extend Richie Incognito - been a stud for us at G, extend him 2 years, he's getting up there in age but stays in great shape and had a year plus off back in the bullying scandal.

Extend Kelvin Benjamin - he gives us a legit #2 WR threat that can be signed cheaper now then if he has a productive season and hits FA. Draft or sign a true #1 WR next year after securing our franchise QB this year.

Resign Leonard Johnson - him and McDermott love each other, he was a very solid tackler and played good when called on last year. Should be able to work out a team friendly deal.

Let EJ Gaines walk - I think he's a great CB but he's going to hit the open market and some team will offer up more than the Bills. Would love to keep him but might be out of the price range.

Trade Cordy Glenn - has a big cap hit, hasn't been able to stay healthy, Dion Dawkins looked very good at LT as a rookie. Move Dawkins to LT and either sign a vet or draft a RT.

Resign Kyle Williams - 1 year deal to come back, he plays a huge part in our locker room and it's never bad to have these type of players.

Free Agents

Nigel Bradham - I think is a perfect fit for Sean McDermotts scheme and want him back. He reminds me of a poor mans Thomas Davis. Quick, attacks the ball, runs sideline to sideline, has a mean streak. Everytime I watch the eagles im reminded why I was such a fan of him.

Star Lotulelei - has connections with McDermott and Beane. Will be a big time DT free agent and the Bills are in need of interior DL men.

I haven't looked at the rest of the free agents but if we can sign some depth/quality players on the OL/DL and LB I'd be happy with.

2 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

Do you think the Bills would consider trading one of their first round picks and Cordy Glenn to move up to 12 with the Bengals?

Absolutely depending on if a QB falls. I believe Arizona is 15 so they'd want to get in front of them 

11 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

Do you think the Bills would consider trading one of their first round picks and Cordy Glenn to move up to 12 with the Bengals?

Depends on who will be qb if its already answered in free agency and they believe a DT like Vita Vea or LB Roquan Smith can be an instant impact compared to other players in the draft.

19 hours ago, The BILLievers said:

Extend Richie Incognito - been a stud for us at G, extend him 2 years, he's getting up there in age but stays in great shape and had a year plus off back in the bullying scandal.

Extend Kelvin Benjamin - he gives us a legit #2 WR threat that can be signed cheaper now then if he has a productive season and hits FA. Draft or sign a true #1 WR next year after securing our franchise QB this year.

Resign Leonard Johnson - him and McDermott love each other, he was a very solid tackler and played good when called on last year. Should be able to work out a team friendly deal.

Let EJ Gaines walk - I think he's a great CB but he's going to hit the open market and some team will offer up more than the Bills. Would love to keep him but might be out of the price range.

Trade Cordy Glenn - has a big cap hit, hasn't been able to stay healthy, Dion Dawkins looked very good at LT as a rookie. Move Dawkins to LT and either sign a vet or draft a RT.

Resign Kyle Williams - 1 year deal to come back, he plays a huge part in our locker room and it's never bad to have these type of players.

Free Agents

Nigel Bradham - I think is a perfect fit for Sean McDermotts scheme and want him back. He reminds me of a poor mans Thomas Davis. Quick, attacks the ball, runs sideline to sideline, has a mean streak. Everytime I watch the eagles im reminded why I was such a fan of him.

Star Lotulelei - has connections with McDermott and Beane. Will be a big time DT free agent and the Bills are in need of interior DL men.

I haven't looked at the rest of the free agents but if we can sign some depth/quality players on the OL/DL and LB I'd be happy with.

I agree with everything you said. I dont necessarily agree with cordy glenn this year simply because the bills will only clear 4.8 mil and have a dead cap of 10 mil but if the trade was worth it yes. I do not want it to be like a Marcell Dareus trade where they just wanted to dump him based on his salary cap. One thing is he finally had surgery on his foot when he should have done it last year and he would have been healthy this year but unfortunately it did not. If keeping him and pushing Dawkins to RT that would be solid as it worked well for 4-5 games this past year. Im good with keeping or trading him. Adding on to saving the cap the bills have over 80 million next year so to free up future cap its really not a huge impact and they could also let him play a full year and trade him next offseason for top dollar as he would show how good he is when healthy.

Juwan James is a potential cut candidate for the Dolphins. Joe Shoen would know him well and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bills target him to help settle the right side of the line. 

If the Bills truly believe Glenn can get back to form then I wouldn't be against keeping him. Dawkins looks like a steal so hopefully he could slide to the right.

Imagine an OL of Glenn-Incognito-Groy-James-Dawkins with Miller, Mills and a rookie C as depth. 

39 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Wish we wouldn’t gotten in on Marcus Peters. 

With this regime? He's a headcase. 

Great player but couple his attitude problems with having to resign him in a year or two, no thanks. 

The cost to get him is probably crazy high too. Looking forward to seeing what LA gave up. 

What do you guys think about giving Tyler Eifert a one year prove it deal? I know he's been injury prone but when healthy he's pretty legit. Give us a nice dual threat option with Clay and even having O'Leary in there as well. Be nice for a new QB to have that safe option, especially if we have a rookie QB in there.

1 hour ago, davidderion said:

What do you guys think about giving Tyler Eifert a one year prove it deal? I know he's been injury prone but when healthy he's pretty legit. Give us a nice dual threat option with Clay and even having O'Leary in there as well. Be nice for a new QB to have that safe option, especially if we have a rookie QB in there.

It depends on how much he will get but for a good deal I wouldnt hate it. Im sure a team like the Browns, Niners, or Jets would be willing to throw a decent amount of money and with 10 mil locked in between clay (9 mil) and oleary it would be hard to add more money to that position.

11 hours ago, davidderion said:

I'm OK with Clay and O'Leary.

O'Leary looked good closing out the season

Archived