2018 Vikings Draft Prospects - Offensive Line

swede700

Although, I like their comparisons. 

Heavier than Suh. I didn’t realize Suh was considered all that heavy. 

Quicker than Carlos Hyde. Is Hyde known for his quickness?

Jumps higher than Jamaal Charles. Didn’t know Charles was know for his jumping ability. 

1 hour ago, rpmwr19 said:

I think it was the arm length.

Which is just ridiculous. 

33” arms aren’t short. Yes, 34” or greater are ideal, but 33” arms aren’t going to cause issues. 

It hasn’t seemed to hurt Joe Thomas, Riley Reiff, Bryant Bulaga, or Mitchell Schwartz to name a few. 

I have to say Colton Miller's making himself some money!  Looking at the Vikes OL needs, my first thought is OG is a higher ranking need than OT with how Reiff, Remmers and Hill played last year . . . I thought the three of them played pretty well overall.  So, Hernandez and Corbett have definitely impressed so far at the combine, and given Hernandez's weight, strength and 3-cone time, I'd have to consider Hernandez a higher grade than Corbett --- just based on those stats.  I may be completely wrong because I've never seen either one of them in games . . . but most draft sites have them ranked 2 & 3 at OG.  So, they obviously play well.  

One guy I'm intrigued by at OT is McGlinchey and it'll be interesting to see how he runs.  His bench was good and he's physically similar in height/weight to Miller . . . How's his game compare to Miller's?  It'd be nice to have an OT with a nasty streak . . . just a lil less than Kyle Turley nasty . . .lol.  

In the 1st Rd, right now, I'd lean toward Hernandez, but the Vikes could look to Isidora, maybe Collins to step in for Berger.  Then, there's the rumor/gossip of Remmers moving to RG, which would mean Hill, a FA, or a rookie would be RT . . . In that case, McGlinchey or Miller may be the right call.   

After the DL wraps-up their combine, the 1st Rd pick may very well be a DT . . . In that case, I hope the Vikes look at the 2nd Rd and possibly 3rd guy being OT/OG.  Billy Price may slip, but if we need him this year, would he be ready?  Cole Madison's another guy that will likely be a 3rd or 4th Rd OL prospect.   Guys like Ragnow, Braden Smith and Wyatt Teller might be mid-round candidates, showing good size, speed and strength.

One things that’s been a pretty good predictor is offensive lineman success is have a short shuttle of 4.44 or better at the combine... most that hit that threshold have at least had some moderate nfl success.

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

Does Hernandez have any shot of lasting until 30?

Possibly, but only due to the fact he plays guard, and also that teams will feel there are plenty of prospects at guard that will be there in the second or third round that are marginally lesser players.

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

Does Hernandez have any shot of lasting until 30?

Really going to depend on what teams view Connor Williams as and how well they look at Isiah Wynn. 

So many of these guards test out well and played great, it is going to value a guy that basically going to be locked into just being a guard.

Here is a list of the OL taken in the first round going back to the beginning of the draft:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?position=OL&type=position

Note the following number of guards drafted in the first round over the last several years:

2017: 0, 2016: 2 (28th and 31st overall), 2015: 1 (28th), 2014: 0, 2013: 3 (7th, 10th, and 20th), 2012: 2 (24th and 27th), 2011: 1 (23rd), 2010: 1 (17th).

So, that averages out to a little over 1 per year, and those tending to be latter in the round.  Hopefully, he will be there at 30th overall; if not, hopefully Taven Bryan is!

Archived