2018 Vikings Draft Prospects - Offensive Line

swede700

Suh and Wilkerson wouldn’t count towards our comp pick formula so I would be interested in offering one of them team friendly deals.  Then I’d like to see us trade out of the 1st and load up on OL talent; unless McGlinchley falls to our pick in the first.

2 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

We gotta protect the $84M investment.

Need a RT & OG

Depends on what Berger does. Berger was still our best lineman last year, and the team clearly likes Nick Easton... that bumps Remmers back out to right tackle and puts us into a position where our offensive line, at least for the start of next year, is kind of locked in.

Still would go the interior OL route with uncertainty over Easton and Berger's age. Plus, the interior of the OL, to me, is more important in both aspects of the offense (running/passing). Your tackles can be a bit subpar as long as your QB has a pocket to step up into and they can at least force the ends outside and up the field.

Easton won’t be a backup at a $3M price tag, at least at the beginning of the season. 

The team wants Berger back, but I suppose he could want more than we are offering. He’s said he was to play this year. 

8 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

Easton won’t be a backup at a $3M price tag, at least at the beginning of the season. 

The team wants Berger back, but I suppose he could want more than we are offering. He’s said he was to play this year. 

If we draft a better LG & he wins the starting job.. Easton is backup

Again, not likely, at least to begin the season, given what the 2nd round tender shows the Vikings confidence in Easton at a time when they are trying to pinch pennies elsewhere. 

Just connecting the dots - as much as we would like to believe that it’s a complete meritocracy, it’s not. 

14 hours ago, rpmwr19 said:

Again, not likely, at least to begin the season, given what the 2nd round tender shows the Vikings confidence in Easton at a time when they are trying to pinch pennies elsewhere. 

Just connecting the dots - as much as we would like to believe that it’s a complete meritocracy, it’s not. 

I don’t think Zimmer puts much weight into salary when determining his starters.  Easton jumped Boone on the depth chart this past year despite being cheaper.  If we draft players that are better than Easton then they will play over him.

I'm with @rpmwr19 here. Continuity is important, and I think that they will look at how successful the screen game was with Easton and Elflein out leading the way. Protecting him with a 2nd round tender in my eyes means that they like him as a starter and are confident in his health after the injury.

28 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

I don’t think Zimmer puts much weight into salary when determining his starters.  Easton jumped Boone on the depth chart this past year despite being cheaper.  If we draft players that are better than Easton then they will play over him.

That was in year two (or three?) of Boone’s deal. They’d already seen him be ineffective.  They JUST paid Easton and showed their confidence in him. Barring injury, he’s penned in as the starting left guard to begin the season. 

58 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

That was in year two (or three?) of Boone’s deal. They’d already seen him be ineffective.  They JUST paid Easton and showed their confidence in him. Barring injury, he’s penned in as the starting left guard to begin the season. 

They didn't really pay Easton. They gave him a second round tender. That just means they don't want to risk losing him for nothing. It is a fair price for a backup that they have hopes can win a competition for a starting spot. It is hard to believe that the Vikings are just handing him the starting spot based on giving him a tender offer. They could have, and still can, sign him to a longer term deal. If they sign him to a deal before a competition I'll believe they are handing him the job. Even then, I'll think of that decision as a mistake.

Archived