2018 Vikings Draft Prospects - Offensive Line

swede700

Now that HS hockey is over in Minnesota I can start to focus more on my favorite offseason of the year.  So who are some of the plug and play lineman to look at in rounds 2-3?  My hope is to add another Elflein-level quality guy if the team goes DT (or another position) in round 1.

17 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

Now that HS hockey is over in Minnesota I can start to focus more on my favorite offseason of the year.  So who are some of the plug and play lineman to look at in rounds 2-3?  My hope is to add another Elflein-level quality guy if the team goes DT (or another position) in round 1.

Once you get into rounds 2-3, there's always some risk that they won't be plug and play anymore. Billy Price is a name that you'll hear get tossed around, and I think he could be a solid option. Frank Ragnow from Arkansas is a player that I like quite well, he's just missed some time do to injuries so that's a concern with him. Both of those guys would play offensive guard. Martinas Rankin from Mississippi State is an interesting OL option as well, but probably not plug and play.

54 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Once you get into rounds 2-3, there's always some risk that they won't be plug and play anymore. Billy Price is a name that you'll hear get tossed around, and I think he could be a solid option. Frank Ragnow from Arkansas is a player that I like quite well, he's just missed some time do to injuries so that's a concern with him. Both of those guys would play offensive guard. Martinas Rankin from Mississippi State is an interesting OL option as well, but probably not plug and play.

Thanks.  Seems like there are a number of guys in that late first to mid second range.  Hopefully someone will drop down into our range by draft day.  I'll start checking some of them out.

If Calvin Ridley somehow falls to 30 I'm taking him no matter what.  However this is what I'd do if we also sign Sheldon

1 - Billy Price  | OG/C |  Ohio St

2 - Mike Gesicki | TE | Penn St

3 - Orlando Brown | OT | Oklahoma

5 - Tarvarus McFadden | CB | Florida St

6 - Holton Hill | CB | Texas

6 - Justin Jackson | HB | Northwestern

7 - Daniel Carlson | K | Auburn

Brown is a wasted pick. Not a great fit for our scheme because of his below average movement ability, but that bad of a combine is a sign of a much bigger problem than overall athleticism.

youre also missing a pick ;)

we have 3 6ths

41 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

Brown is a wasted pick. Not a great fit for our scheme because of his below average movement ability, but that bad of a combine is a sign of a much bigger problem than overall athleticism.

youre also missing a pick ;)

we have 3 6ths

Im not as down on Brown as some are.  He kind of reminds me of Phil Loadholt who I also liked a lot but others hated.  With the other 6th I'd grab another DL or WR.  

Even Big Phil’s combine put Brown to shame. 

The more concerning part about Brown for me was the coaches getting after him for loafing around. Biggest job interview of your life, and you get lazy with it? Pass. 

13 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

Even Big Phil’s combine put Brown to shame. 

The more concerning part about Brown for me was the coaches getting after him for loafing around. Biggest job interview of your life, and you get lazy with it? Pass. 

I can't really say anything about his combine numbers, they are what they are.  I just loved the tape.  I just like the gamble but it's quite possible he last til the 4th we just don't have a 4th rounder.

1 hour ago, Boda said:

If Calvin Ridley somehow falls to 30 I'm taking him no matter what.  However this is what I'd do if we also sign Sheldon

1 - Billy Price  | OG/C |  Ohio St

2 - Mike Gesicki | TE | Penn St

3 - Orlando Brown | OT | Oklahoma

5 - Tarvarus McFadden | CB | Florida St

6 - Holton Hill | CB | Texas

6 - Justin Jackson | HB | Northwestern

7 - Daniel Carlson | K | Auburn

I'd be all for this.  Gesicki would be a great weapon if he could develop and learn how to block

11 minutes ago, rrgm said:

I find it highly unlikely Orlando Brown is on our board.

hard pass

Same.

There simply isn't a precedant for an O linemen succeeding in the NFL with that poor of a combine.

Make excuses or scream about tape is all that matters, and keep your outliers.

1 hour ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Same.

There simply isn't a precedant for an O linemen succeeding in the NFL with that poor of a combine.

Make excuses or scream about tape is all that matters, and keep your outliers.

Not sure if this was in reference to me but I didn't make any excuses and said it is what it is.  I do however like the tape and I love the NFL bloodlines, that matters to me.  Im not saying there aren't red flags, Im not even saying he's on the Vikings board, I'm just saying I'd take him because I believe in what Ive seen.  Now I don't get paid to scout them and how much do I actually know well who really knows anything I just happen to like him as a prospect and would have no problem taking him in the 3rd round.

Archived