Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

13 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

The hilarious part, the guy earlier that knocked him, because he is not 6'2" tall, and at the combine, he measured in at 6'1 and 5/8" tall.  That is less than a half of an inch difference.

When you re a dude, half an inch makes a BIG difference :D  

Im by no means saying Darnold or Rosen are going suck, just that Bakers gonna be better. 

Nor am I.  I do give Darnold the highest bust potential of the big 4 though, and its a pretty wide margin.  I put Darnold as a prospect, close to the level of last year's class.  I didn't say any of the big names were going to bust, but that they were all projects.  Darnold is also a project, he has to work on that delivery at some point, and I would prefer him to not be starting games while doing it.

16 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

Nor am I.  I do give Darnold the highest bust potential of the big 4 though, and its a pretty wide margin.  I put Darnold as a prospect, close to the level of last year's class.  I didn't say any of the big names were going to bust, but that they were all projects.  Darnold is also a project, he has to work on that delivery at some point, and I would prefer him to not be starting games while doing it.

I disagree with you on Mayfield. I seem to be one of the few that doesn’t see it with him. I have huge questions about his lack of having to deal with anything resembling an NFL pocket. The second half vs Georgia really drove it home to me personally that he is in for a rude awakening in the NFL. But I am well aware that everyone is entitled to their opinion and nobody is right or wrong at this stage.

However I do have to ask about the ‘highest bust potential’ argument. How can Darnold have higher bust potential than Josh Allen? Allen is a 56% passer. Has there been any modern era passer that’s been good with that completion percentage, other than Matt Stafford, managed to hit >60% and 25TDs in his final season, in the SEC. Allen was barely middle of the pack in the Mountain West.

Darnold went 20-4 in a better conference, against better teams, with a nothing special roster and a team that was bombing before he stepped in. Finished that season with 453 yards, 5TDs and a Rose Bowl win. 65% career completion. Almost 10% greater completion than Allen, playing against better teams.

There is no doubt Darnold has things to work, as does Josh Rosen and Baker Mayfield. But if they do, Josh Allen really does.

36 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

thanks for the correction, could have sworn it was 6'1 and 5/8.  Still, less than an inch and a half.

Hey, man! An inch and a half can mean the difference between working at Dennys and working in the adult film industry. ;)  

29 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I disagree with you on Mayfield. I seem to be one of the few that doesn’t see it with him. I have huge questions about his lack of having to deal with anything resembling an NFL pocket. The second half vs Georgia really drove it home to me personally that he is in for a rude awakening in the NFL. But I am well aware that everyone is entitled to their opinion and nobody is right or wrong at this stage.

However I do have to ask about the ‘highest bust potential’ argument. How can Darnold have higher bust potential than Josh Allen? Allen is a 56% passer. Has there been any modern era passer that’s been good with that completion percentage, other than Matt Stafford, managed to hit >60% and 25TDs in his final season, in the SEC. Allen was barely middle of the pack in the Mountain West.

Darnold went 20-4 in a better conference, against better teams, with a nothing special roster and a team that was bombing before he stepped in. Finished that season with 453 yards, 5TDs and a Rose Bowl win. 65% career completion. Almost 10% greater completion than Allen, playing against better teams.

There is no doubt Darnold has things to work, as does Josh Rosen and Baker Mayfield. But if they do, Josh Allen really does.

Id be cool with Darnold if that was the pick, but I wouldnt touch Allen with a 10-foot pole. Dude is basically white Kizer, great body, great kid, rifle arm, scattershot accuracy. Think about the goat: solid/above average arm strength, tall but not big and strong, not very mobile(although he does know how to move in the pocket) top notch football IQ, top notch competitor, and top notch accuracy. Those last 3 traits are my 3 prerequisites for drafting a QB. Everything else is gravy IMO

37 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Several things.  The admitted loss of confidence at the college level, the flat out refusal to work on his throwing motion which raises coachability questions.  Combine that awkward throwing motion with an average arm.  He has demonstrated questionable decision making.  His confidence is still not right, otherwise he would have been eager to compete with his peers at the combine rather than opt out for just his pro day where the competition would not be present to upstage him.  Allen does have a lot to work on, but confidence and his throwing mechanics are not one of them.  His work will be on accuracy, playbook, and learning the speed of the nfl game.  That is pretty much it.  Everything else is already there.

5 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

Id be cool with Darnold if that was the pick, but I wouldnt touch Allen with a 10-foot pole. Dude is basically white Kizer, great body, great kid, rifle arm, scattershot accuracy. Think about the goat: solid/above average arm strength, tall but not big and strong, not very mobile(although he does know how to move in the pocket) top notch football IQ, top notch competitor, and top notch accuracy. Those last 3 traits are my 3 prerequisites for drafting a QB. Everything else is gravy IMO

He is far from Kizer.  Better arm than Kizer, also has near perfect throwing mechanics.  Kizer does not.  Kizer also simply does not have a football mind.  We don’t know if Allen does or not.  If he does, he will need to sit a couple of years to work on refining his craft.

Question how much of Allen’s accuracy issues were because his supporting cast was so dreadful ? And although often compared to Kizer, Kizers accuracy issues were on him. He had supreme talent around him. If Allen played at Notre Dame how much different would his stats be ?

Archived