Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think he’s saying the best tackle prospect is Nelson.

I mean...maybe. But whenever Nelson struggled it was when he was out in space. It was when he was asked to pull and lead on the perimeter and when he was asked to find people in space on screen passes. I don't know if he can play OT. Maybe, but I'm not taking a lifetime guard in the top 10 and asking him to try and play RT. This could work if we also needed a guard, but we don't. And I don't think Nelson could play LT. He'd be a RT all the way if that.

30 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Who does?

I meant to put DOES

Browns does have to best Oline film out there which is why he was so highly rated 

dude was a wall

gotta think if you can trade up slightly from 64 he’s worth bringing in to develop 

but I do think they like the Coleman plan as the eventual OT replacement they’ve been preaching that since day 1. He always talks in his interview about moving to LT

59 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Don't see many people abusing a 6'8 345 lb. man child. I don't care how much he benches or how slow he is. At the place I'm coaching at right now (albeit this is HS), we have two overweight sloppy slow weak kids. Their punch power is far and away the strongest of anyone on the team and we have some absolute workout warriors on the roster. These kids struggle to rep 185 on the bench press for a single rep but haven't had any problems with power. I will sometimes for fun rush against them in practice (they're twins) and their punch power knocks me--and everyone else--off course with ease. Sometimes size and mass matter way more than actual strength. And bench press is a pretty useless marker for translatable strength. I'd like to see his power clean and dead lift numbers before I give a crap about his bench press.

Orlando Brown doesn't frighten me nearly as much as some of the other OT prospects.

Connor Williams lacks great length and tends to get grabby and lungey.

Brian O'Neill lunges on every single snap.

Mike McGlinchey can't mirror speed rushers to save his life despite being a pretty good athlete himself.

Kolton Miller has a major inconsistency problem and is weak in run blocking.

All of the top OT's have issues that manifest themselves over and over again on their game tapes. Orlando Brown has much better game tape than all four of the OT's that are generally being put ahead of him.

Oh, and check out Joe Noteboom from TCU if you're looking for a potential LT steal. He's got excellent athleticism and the cleanest kick step I've evaluated in a few years. He is postured up and ready to engage before the DE has a shot to engage. Plus he's built like a tank. Noteboom is going to start at LT for somebody methinks.

Cannot say that I know him but I have met O'Neill and watched him practice quite a bit. Up until 2 years ago he had never blocked before in his life. Even as a TE he was a pass catcher. He was moved to OT out of necessity and put on nearly 60 pounds. He has all the tools, all the coach-ability and all the work ethic to succeed. I would not just completely right him off because of correctable flaw such as lunging when he has never been taught much otherwise. He is going to need time as most any OT prospect does anymore but learning to unlock the hips for run blocking is not unteachable and his pass pro concerns will be much improved with NFL coaching. Not that they were bad coaches but Pitt has a goofy offensive scheme for offensive lineman.

Also knocking a newbie for lunging when you have the ultimate waste bender at his #1 OT. At least you see Connor for his consistent lunging and holding.

8 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Cannot say that I know him but I have met O'Neill and watched him practice quite a bit. Up until 2 years ago he had never blocked before in his life. Even as a TE he was a pass catcher. He was moved to OT out of necessity and put on nearly 60 pounds. He has all the tools, all the coach-ability and all the work ethic to succeed. I would not just completely right him off because of correctable flaw such as lunging when he has never been taught much otherwise. He is going to need time as most any OT prospect does anymore but learning to unlock the hips for run blocking is not unteachable and his pass pro concerns will be much improved with NFL coaching. Not that they were bad coaches but Pitt has a goofy offensive scheme for offensive lineman.

Also knocking a newbie for lunging when you have the ultimate waste bender at his #1 OT. At least you see Connor for his consistent lunging and holding.

I love O'Neill and consistently mock him to the Browns. Now that we've paid Hubbard a giant chunk of change to be the RT, Shon Coleman and Roderick Johnson are the backup tackles. With the depth swing guy being Donald Stephenson. I can't imagine we bring in another OT now. That is why I'm moving away from my R2 Brian O'Neill mocks.

O'Neill is very impressive in his short amount of time playing OT. He looked like a savage against Miami this season and they have a very good front 7. He's going to be good, but he rarely comes to balance when he's blocking. It isn't a damning flaw, but it's certainly worth pointing out. I'm not writing him off at all. I think he's got a future playing LT, but if you watch Orlando Browns' film and then O'Neill's film and throw the combine out, nobody is going to tell you that O'Neill is the better player.

I see our signings over in the new column and I click the link not even thinking and then every time I do I want to fight some idiot over there. The Browns hate is so beyond ridiculous. Apparently, Joe Thomas was playing like trash all last season before his injury and he was over the hill anyway. We got fans of teams with just as few playoff wins in the last 25 years as the Browns poking fun at the Browns like they have achieved something. 

Just now, TheeRealDeal said:

I see our signings over in the new column and I click the link not even thinking and then every time I do I want to fight some idiot over there. The Browns hate is so beyond ridiculous. Apparently, Joe Thomas was playing like trash all last season before his injury and he was over the hill anyway. We got fans of teams with just as few playoff wins in the last 25 years as the Browns poking fun at the Browns like they have achieved something. 

People suck. We need a new plague.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It always scares the hell out of me when a team lets a good player go in their prime. Is there some injury we aren’t aware of?

He is coming off of an injury. But this release had everything to do with their putrid cap situation and the fact that Mathieu would not restructure the deal.

Archived