Morgan Burnett resign or let go?

Deekster37

6 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

I don't either but Burnett is 29 and going to cost some serious coin. I"d rather spend it on a CB like Colvin.

I would be alright with something like this happening but if we just let him go and rely on another draft pick/UDFA/End of FA garbage i'm going to be upset. Sometimes you just have to pay someone their due or end up in a worse spot. 

32 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

I don't either but Burnett is 29 and going to cost some serious coin. I"d rather spend it on a CB like Colvin.

People keep saying he’s not a difference maker but say not to resign him because he will cost too much. Why would he cost that much if he’s not that good?

I actually think we will be able to afford him. 

I got caught up in a google black hole on this subject and here are my ramblings. 

While Pettine says his defense is based on KILL (keep it likeable and learnable) I found it interesting that Jim Leonhard followed him to every single stop he made, including a one year stint in Buffalo, and right up to Pettine's coaching job at Cleveland in 2014. Leonhard retired in 2015. Keep it likeable and learnable and have a very smart safety is my takeaway. Leonhard's Wonderlic was a 24, he studied contantly and was a coach on and off the field.

The safety, standing at the rear of the defense, must compensate for the mistakes of others; football intelligence matters more at this position than any other on the defense. At five-eight, a hundred and eighty-eight pounds, the Bills safety Jim Leonhard, a nine-year veteran, is among the smallest and also the slowest starting defensive backs in the game. And yet, watching him on film, he appears to teleport to the ball. Leonhard’s name seems to enter any conversation about football intelligence; he knows every teammate’s responsibilities in every call, and understands the game as twenty-two intersecting vectors. “He’d walk off the bus and you’d think he was the equipment manager,” Ryan Fitzpatrick said. “He’s still in the league because he’s the quarterback of the defense.”

From 2009 to 2011, Leonhard, a Wisconsin graduate, was a member of the Jets and, like everyone else around the team, I used to marvel at his study habits. He spent defensive meetings patiently tutoring the other safeties. One day, he showed me a hundred-and-nineteen-page PowerPoint document of his thoughts on the team’s defense—lecture notes. I asked Leonhard if, in his time with the Jets, an opposing offense had ever done anything that surprised him. He shook his head no.

Recently, we spoke again about the cerebral aspects of football. “You can see one thing while watching film, and then on the field your perspective shifts,” Leonhard said. “It’s the active recall of information on the field.” As he gazes across the line of scrimmage, he looks “for things that don’t make sense.”

https://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting-scene/what-makes-a-football-player-smart  see this article for more on Leonhard

Burnett had a Wonderlic of 14. HHCD had a Wonderlic of 15. Josh Jones scored  a 17. A score of 10 is considered barely literate while a score of 15 is considered that of a warehouse worker. Before you go and begin a reply of how many great safeties had low Wonderlic scores, I'm not making a conclusion, I'm just passing along what I found. And yes Nick Collins had a score of 14. And yes, Burnett seems like a very sharp guy. Most coaches are looking for safeties with a score in the 20's according to one article I read.

We have been linked to Bates III, who is considered a 3rd round pick pre-combine. Seattle has also shown interest which is interesting to me. I've always liked Burnett and still think it's a risk to let him go. We are simply way too young in the secondary for my liking. Of course, desperation probably doesn't equal the dollars he will get. If he is let go, I'll be watching out for the Wonderlic on Bates and others in this draft, along with veteran mid-level safeties who seem to have the qualities Pettine seems to like. Do I think HHCD can be THE guy ? After last year I'm GUESSING no.

One caveat when talking anything Pettine is that he always had excellent CB's and his defense in NY was absolutely stacked. Certainly makes things easier. 

Packers have gotten some guys with nice combine numbers (Brice, Evans, Hawkins....), but they don't often play as well as their speed would assume.  I think often when you are signing UDFA with good speed, they are sometimes available because they don't actually play to their speed, perhaps correlating to not being super "football smart". 

As always, it's going to depend on the price tag.  If he's searching for top safety money ($10M+), he's gone.  The Packers aren't paying that kind of money to an aging safety.  IF he's looking for that mid-tier range (~$8M) than that's probably a more reasonable demand.  If it gets lower than that, he's far more likely to re-sign.  I've said 3 years, $24M should be his agents target for Burnett.  I don't think he'll get elite S money, but top-12 S money should absolutely be attainable.

I really hope they sign him even if its an overpay to a degree. This defense has enough holes outside of safety. Do we really need to add another glaring hole at the safety position? If we let him go I guarantee one of OLB, CB, or Safety is going to kill us this year. I hope i'm wrong FYI. 

On 2/23/2018 at 6:29 PM, cannondale said:

We have been linked to Bates III, who is considered a 3rd round pick pre-combine. Seattle has also shown interest which is interesting to me.

Seattle is interested because Earl Thomas was seriously considering retirement not too long ago. Additionally, Kam Chancellor is getting up there in age too. They need to get younger on that side of the ball.

LIS in the other thread: Burnett is too much of a swiss army knife to let walk. It's one thing if someone offers him a ridiculous contract, but I think a nice 3yr/$20m deal is fair for both sides.

Archived