Aaron Rodgers and new contract

Golfman

9 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Rodgers has become a celebrity QB. His ego has shown by his behavior lately. He wants to be a part of front office matters. He had say on the GM, he didn't want Ball. He want's to be notified when his position coach or WR is let go. He's over stepping his bounds. The GM or head coach doesn't have to consult with Aaron when they make personnal moves. 

You're right he doesn't have to give a hometown discount but he's the one that said he wanted the front office to be "all in" You can't be "all in" if he's wants 33 mil per year.

I don't know about you but giving a QB in his mid 30's that kind of money fully guaranteed is risky. Rodgers wants fully guaranteed contracts to be the norm in the NFL. That's gonna set a bad precedent. Who wants to pay for a broken player if he suffers a career ending injury?

Of course Gutey didn't consult Rodgers on any of his moves.  Did Rodgers say anything about the moves afterward on social media (I'm not on Twitter or Instagram)?

If you want to blame anyone about guaranteed contracts I wouldn't blame AR.  I'd blame MN.  Any player, no matter how old, can get a career ending injury.  Every GM/Owner is taking a chance signing any player.  I think the money athletes and other entertainers get is ridiculous but that is what the market will bear.  Everyone of us would take as much as we could if we were in their place.

6 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Of course Gutey didn't consult Rodgers on any of his moves.  Did Rodgers say anything about the moves afterward on social media (I'm not on Twitter or Instagram)?

If you want to blame anyone about guaranteed contracts I wouldn't blame AR.  I'd blame MN.  Any player, no matter how old, can get a career ending injury.  Every GM/Owner is taking a chance signing any player.  I think the money athletes and other entertainers get is ridiculous but that is what the market will bear.  Everyone of us would take as much as we could if we were in their place.

No not all of us are that greedy.  Please.  If I was in Aaron's place I'd be grateful for all the Packer's have done.  Believe his words when the Pack stood by him and shipped Farve out of town "this will not be forgotten"  well?  Whatever money he'll get will be substantial regardless.  I'd be more interested in winning championships than being the highest paid guy in the league.  That reeks of ego.  From everything I know doesn't seem like Aaron.  He's been a pretty cool cat.  We'll see how negotiations unfold.   

1 minute ago, Scoremore said:

No not all of us are that greedy.  Please.  If I was in Aaron's place I'd be grateful for all the Packer's have done.  Believe his words when the Pack stood by him and shipped Farve out of town "this will not be forgotten"  well?  Whatever money he'll get will be substantial regardless.  I'd be more interested in winning championships than being the highest paid guy in the league.  That reeks of ego.  From everything I know doesn't seem like Aaron.  He's been a pretty cool cat.  We'll see how negotiations unfold.   

Because an NFL player can get hurt and out of the game in an instant they take as much as they can.  The only reason Brady took a discount is because his wife made more money than he did.  ;)

11 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Because an NFL player can get hurt and out of the game in an instant they take as much as they can.  The only reason Brady took a discount is because his wife made more money than he did.  ;)

Sure Aaron needs every dollar he can get.  The guy has made north of 100 million and counting.  I am sure he's very worried about financial security.  That argument might work for some of the lower tier players and I'd understand it.  Aaron is in a whole different league than those guys.  

Again let's see the contract before bashing him.

I really don't understand the Rodgers hate or blame when the guy has been carrying this team for years! Rodgers isn't the guy you should be looking at here for those embarrassing playoff exits and stubborn coaching at all levels.

33 minutes ago, jontat83 said:

Again let's see the contract before bashing him.

I really don't understand the Rodgers hate or blame when the guy has been carrying this team for years! Rodgers isn't the guy you should be looking at here for those embarrassing playoff exits and stubborn coaching at all levels.

That's the thing though. If he was truly carrying the whole team wouldn't he have more championships? His play in the postseason hasn't been great.

How can he carry the team to playoff exits? Either he carries the team or he doesn't. 

Just now, Kepler said:

IF, and yes I'll admit it's still a big IF, that Rodgers gets close to a deal that would scale his pay to remain the top paid QB every season, it will most definitely curtail his chance to ever have that caliber of defense.

His career track record in the playoffs, apart from 2010, really isn't what I would consider world beating, or deserving of the top paid QB every season. Brady had almost always gotten it done in the playoffs, and almost brought his team back to win another super bowl this year. He's the guy who should be paid more than anybody else, but has repeatedly provided discounts in the past to keep giving championships to the fans. 

I really think Gute would be able to make the moves he seems to want to if there were some give there. I get the players want to max their salaries, but the team will need some wiggle room to bring home some championships. 

Rodgers worth isn't set by some arbitrary scale of factors revolving around playoff success. It's determined by what he can get paid which typically is determined by what teams are willing to pay him

6 minutes ago, Kepler said:

That's the thing though. If he was truly carrying the whole team wouldn't he have more championships? His play in the postseason hasn't been great.

How can he carry the team to playoff exits? Either he carries the team or he doesn't. 

Having to score 38 points or more in a playoff game is really hard. Look at how many times it's been done.

This team on a regular basis has given up an average of 36 points on defense in those playoff exits. And this team had spent lots of draft capital on defense over the years.

1 hour ago, St Vince said:

Rodgers has become a celebrity QB. His ego has shown by his behavior lately. He wants to be a part of front office matters. He had say on the GM, he didn't want Ball. He want's to be notified when his position coach or WR is let go. He's over stepping his bounds. The GM or head coach doesn't have to consult with Aaron when they make personnal moves. 

You're right he doesn't have to give a hometown discount but he's the one that said he wanted the front office to be "all in" You can't be "all in" if he's wants 33 mil per year.

I don't know about you but giving a QB in his mid 30's that kind of money fully guaranteed is risky. Rodgers wants fully guaranteed contracts to be the norm in the NFL. That's gonna set a bad precedent. Who wants to pay for a broken player if he suffers a career ending injury?

Welcome to life. Aaron Rodgers is the most important person in the Packers organization for the next few years. He's going to get his way on a lot of things. When you are the focal point of the offense on the field, having your voice heard isn't an insane request.

The GM or HC doesn't have to consult with Aaron. Aaron might want to be consulted, and there's a good argument that his opinions have insight, but he doesn't have to be consulted. A lot of players want a lot of things. If Aaron were to hold out because Jordy Nelson wasn't kept, that would be one thing but if all he's doing is tweeting, who really cares?

A team can absolutely be All In with a highly paid QB. You trade draft picks for veteran producers. You spend your roll over fund. You structure contracts in such a way to add another player to the detriment of future cap. 

Fully guaranteed contracts will only be the norm for QBs and other super stars. Nobody is going to give fully guaranteed contracts to a guy like Lane Taylor unless Taylor makes the hit significantly less than if it were unguaranteed. 

As far as paying for career ending injuries, welcome to life in the other major sports. You have to take that into consideration when signing deals. 

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

Calling bull**** on leaving $10,000,000+ on the table

I don't see a big deal with fully guaranteed contracts and I think that should be the norm across the league. 

The NBA does it. Injuries happen sure, but the players are also risking their health for the teams benefit, and for our enjoyment as fans.

They have spent their whole lives getting to this moment, and in one instant can have none of it. They should get paid everything they are worth. 

1 hour ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

I don't see a big deal with fully guaranteed contracts and I think that should be the norm across the league. 

The NBA does it. Injuries happen sure, but the players are also risking their health for the teams benefit, and for our enjoyment as fans.

They have spent their whole lives getting to this moment, and in one instant can have none of it. They should get paid everything they are worth. 

They are getting paid!  and a lot I might add.  Sure they can guarantee all contracts they will just be shorter in duration and for less money.  So you guarantee a guy millions he says thanks and then goes into the tank.  Albert Haynesworth comes to mind.  Is that fair?  I like it just the way it is. Players can buy insurance against injury if they want protection.  Finley did just that.  Are you suggesting NFL players aren't getting paid enough?  As for AlexGreen20 I'd take one for the team bet you ***.  Oh gee so I only make 28 million over the next 5 years instead of 30.  Big deal.  You also fail to realize what a bit of goodwill would do for Aaron's popularity.  Takes less to stay with the Pack would make one hell of a headline.  As it stands right now none of us have a clue what is going on behind the scenes.  Honestly he's coming off of injury and missed most of last season.  He collected the money just the same.  Furthermore I am not sure he deserves to be the highest paid player.  He's a top 5 QB if he's healthy.  Everyone just assumes he'll be the same when he comes back.  I'd want to see it before shelling out a massive contract.  Now is not the time we should wait especially if his agent has pie in the sky ideas.

23 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

They are getting paid!  and a lot I might add.  Sure they can guarantee all contracts they will just be shorter in duration and for less money.  So you guarantee a guy millions he says thanks and then goes into the tank.  Albert Haynesworth comes to mind.  Is that fair?  I like it just the way it is. Players can buy insurance against injury if they want protection.  Finley did just that.  Are you suggesting NFL players aren't getting paid enough?  As for AlexGreen20 I'd take one for the team bet you ***.  Oh gee so I only make 28 million over the next 5 years instead of 30.  Big deal.  You also fail to realize what a bit of goodwill would do for Aaron's popularity.  Takes less to stay with the Pack would make one hell of a headline.  As it stands right now none of us have a clue what is going on behind the scenes.  Honestly he's coming off of injury and missed most of last season.  He collected the money just the same.  Furthermore I am not sure he deserves to be the highest paid player.  He's a top 5 QB if he's healthy.  Everyone just assumes he'll be the same when he comes back.  I'd want to see it before shelling out a massive contract.  Now is not the time we should wait especially if his agent has pie in the sky ideas.

Aaron's already insanely popular. The only subset of the population in Wisconsin who doesn't LOVE Aaron Rodgers are old white conservatives who don't like his very unobtrusive politics or just generally blame him for being on a team that they believe is soft and underachieving. Even that group likes Aaron Rodgers. People aren't going to worship the ground he walks on anymore in any kind of noticeable sense because he took less for the Packers. How quickly we forget Cobb taking a hometown discount when talking about cutting him. Nelson took a discount and that kind of loyalty got him exactly diddly. 

Rodgers got injured playing for the Packers. In what world are you not paid for an injury suffered at work? To do otherwise is literally illegal.

If he isn't the most valuable player in the NFL, he's the second most, and Tom Brady takes a significant discount. Rodgers absolutely deserves to be the highest paid player in the NFL if Tom Brady is going to take 80 percent of his worth. 

Rodgers is already making good money the next two seasons. The team wants to resign him for salary relief in the next two seasons and Rodgers wants more cash. It's a good thing to get him resigned to make both parties happy.

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

So you guarantee a guy millions he says thanks and then goes into the tank.  Albert Haynesworth comes to mind.  Is that fair?  

Yes. 

If he is that risky then don't sign him. Of all the 4 major sports - only NFL contracts aren't guaranteed (with a few exceptions for rare instances). It is also the sport with the biggest long term effect on employee health. Is that fair?

Archived