Aaron Rodgers and new contract

Golfman

What doesnt make sense?

If Aaron Rodgers was our starting QB in 2006, he would be retired somewhere known as the bust that Ted used to end Favre's career. Those 3 years in Mac's QB school made Aaron who he is.

If Aaron Rodgers was our starting QB in 2006, he would be retired somewhere known as the bust that Ted used to end Favre's career.

so ARod wouldn't have recovered?, so Steve Young is more resiient your saying?  

--- starting bad would have destroyed Arod you are saying,  even if he did...Steve Young started awful in TB and got destroyed and came back to be great.

your saying if they started him right away he would have busted like Couch/Schuler etc...

Those 3 years in Mac's QB school made Aaron who he is.

so  Tim Couch or Heath Schuler could have been the GOAT if they were brought along slower and under Mac, lol

Lol ARod was great great great at Cali, he had it then. Mac didn't do much of it...

I think we would have been 1-2 losses worse in 2006 and better in 2007 with Rodgers over Favre.

Edited yesterday at 12:30 PM by fattlipp

14 minutes ago, fattlipp said:

I think we would have been 1-2 losses worse in 2006 and better in 2007 with Rodgers over Favre.

Edited yesterday at 12:30 PM by fattlipp

I don't think there was much better that the 2007 could do.  That was a pretty fortunate 13-3 team.  They probably would have been better in 2008 because Rodgers wouldn't have been a first year starter.

9 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I don't think there was much better that the 2007 could do.  That was a pretty fortunate 13-3 team.  They probably would have been better in 2008 because Rodgers wouldn't have been a first year starter.

Didnt Favre throw 2-3 Picks and a fumble in the playoffs vs the Giants, I remember Grant redeeming himself only to come up short because of Favre....

2 minutes ago, fattlipp said:

Didnt Favre throw 2-3 Picks and a fumble in the playoffs vs the Giants, I remember Grant redeeming himself only to come up short because of Favre....

Favre played very poorly against the Giants.  He also played poorly against the Cowboys before being replaced by Rodgers. 

Maybe Rodgers is a little better than Favre that season.  They won games against the Eagles, Redskins, and Broncos that easily could have gone the other way.  Favre's stats in 2007 and Rodgers' stats in 2008 are nearly identical.  2007 was a fun season.  But I think that team really was maxed out.

4 minutes ago, Kepler said:

https://t.co/uyirssYy7J

It's being reported Rodgers agent is trying all sorts of things, like tying his salary to a cap percentage, to ensure he is the highest paid player every season, and that is the main reason GB has been hesitant in FA.

Thoughts? 

He shouldnt be the highest paid player every season IMO. Or - lets set it up this way - you win the MVP - you'll get a bonus that cumulatively will make you the highest paid.

2 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

Highest paid in the league or on the team? If he wants that, he can play out his deal and his franchise tag years and leave.  What is to stop a team with a ton of cap room to just screw us over by giving a player 40 million in one season?

Sorry for not specifying. The article says in the league. 

If we pay Aaron Rodgers 15% of the salary cap, he will never win another Super Bowl.  That I can guarantee.  He wasn't good in any Championship game he has ever played in, and then there's the fact that the highest cap percentage for a QB to ever win the Super Bowl was Steve Young at 13.1% of the Niners cap.  Only four quarterbacks in Super Bowl history have won a Super Bowl while taking up more than 11% of the cap (Young, Peyton, Peyton, Eli, Brady).

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/02/nfl-quarterback-salaries-salary-cap-kirk-cousins-free-agency

It's why I'm not terrified of the Vikings competing for too many Super Bowls, and it's why, if Rodgers demands something like 15% of the salary cap, I would rather trade him.  People can call me out for that if they want.  "lol ur dum he's the greatest ever."  It's not about one player.  You can't pay one player 15% of the salary cap and leave 50 other players 85% and expect to win Super Bowls. 

I'm fine with paying Rodgers another contract that makes him the highest paid QB.  I am not fine with some progressive guarantee that he will always be the highest paid QB in the league by guaranteeing him 15% of the salary cap.  Not until he proves he can win Championship games by himself instead of winning one Championship game in spite of himself and not playing well enough in two others. 

I swear people are so damn obsessed with the QB position that they don't understand the limitations involved in paying that QB so much money.  We've seen the Seahawks crumble before our eyes when everybody in the NFL was acting like they'd be a dynasty for ten years.  We've seen Drew Brees and the Saints struggle to even make the playoffs and frequently miss the playoffs throughout his big deal.  People heap praise onto Brady for being so damn good when the reality is that he is taking MILLIONS in pay cuts to have only the 14th cap percentage for a QB in the league.  You want to know why Brady and the Patriots continue reaching the Championship game?  Because the best QB in the league is getting paid the 19th most amount of cap percentage.  Patriots can go out and land Gilmore and a bunch of free agents to accommodate for their poor drafting.  We've seen time and time again what happens to the best teams with the best quarterbacks when they have to pay that best quarterback, and it never works out.  The Broncos did it by maxing out their future cap space to pay defensive players and their roster fell to pieces afterwards.  With their defense that won the Super Bowl, they could have still been competitive if they had just found an average QB and paid him an average percentage. 

We've got Rodgers at 20 million the next two years, and then at a very fair franchise tag price the year after.  We control Aaron until he's 37 years old.  If we guarantee him 15% of the salary cap instead of something that acknowledges how cheap we could have him for the next three years, it will go down as a worse move than anything Ted Thompson could have done or neglected to do. 

You do not win Super Bowls paying one player 15% of the salary cap.  No matter what anybody says on the matter, over 50 years worth of Super Bowls provide all the evidence I need when the closest to 15% to ever win was still 1.9% shy of 15%, and he was just as much "the best ever" as Rodgers is. 

8 hours ago, Kepler said:

https://t.co/uyirssYy7J

It's being reported Rodgers agent is trying all sorts of things, like tying his salary to a cap percentage, to ensure he is the highest paid player every season, and that is the main reason GB has been hesitant in FA.

Thoughts? 

If this is true Aaron should fire his agent.  Sorry that is BS.  If Aaron is on board with this type of negotiation then we should just halt discussions period.  Personally I think it is a huge mistake to negotiate a new contract now anyway.  I want to see him play first.  Aaron working out a team friendly contract fine let's do it.  If not let him play out the next 2 years draft a QB tag and trade his *** out of GB.

I'd offer Aaron 3/90 fully guaranteed with a buyout clause for injury.

If he that interested in being the highest paid QB every year that he wants a cap percentage, he can play out his deal, be franchised twice and end his career somewhere else like Favre because I'm not interested.

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

If we pay Aaron Rodgers 15% of the salary cap, he will never win another Super Bowl.  That I can guarantee.  He wasn't good in any Championship game he has ever played in, and then there's the fact that the highest cap percentage for a QB to ever win the Super Bowl was Steve Young at 13.1% of the Niners cap.  Only four quarterbacks in Super Bowl history have won a Super Bowl while taking up more than 11% of the cap (Young, Peyton, Peyton, Eli, Brady).

Weren't the 49ers also punished for being over the cap that year?

2 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

Weren't the 49ers also punished for being over the cap that year?

I hope so because that would really help my point.  We CANNOT do something stupid like guarantee Rodgers 15% of the cap.  That would ruin us.

Archived