Aaron Rodgers and new contract

Golfman

31 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Whether it's fully guaranteed and tied to the cap or only mostly guaranteed and just a very high number, we're screwed if Rodgers suffers a career ending injury.

Further to the point, this team is screwed for a few years if Rodgers suffers a long term injury even if Rodgers is playing on a volunteer basis. 

SO.....you have very little faith in Kizer

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Whether it's fully guaranteed and tied to the cap or only mostly guaranteed and just a very high number, we're screwed if Rodgers suffers a career ending injury.

Further to the point, this team is screwed for a few years if Rodgers suffers a long term injury even if Rodgers is playing on a volunteer basis. 

At least we would have the resources to do something about it.  Not dwell in the cellar. Still believe it would behoove the Pack to look hard and try to find a legitimate QB to play behind Aaron.  NE did a masterful job with Garoppolo.  They proceeded to trade him away for a #2.  I am still scratching my head over that one.  I have to admit if Aaron goes down again the Packers are screwed of course that should be obvious to everyone.  Maybe Kizer will develop but after the Hundley fiasco my faith is shaken.  There are some pretty interesting guys coming out next year.  I'll be keeping an eye of Drew Lock.  If Aaron is fully recovered think he can play at a high level for 3 or 4 seasons yet.  Once his legs go he'll be in trouble.  He's not Tom Brady has a different game.  Ideally Aaron's heir apparent will be drafted in the next 2 years.

1 minute ago, Scoremore said:

At least we would have the resources to do something about it.  Not dwell in the cellar. Still believe it would behoove the Pack to look hard and try to find a legitimate QB to play behind Aaron.  NE did a masterful job with Garoppolo.  They proceeded to trade him away for a #2.  I am still scratching my head over that one.  I have to admit if Aaron goes down again the Packers are screwed of course that should be obvious to everyone.  Maybe Kizer will develop but after the Hundley fiasco my faith is shaken.  There are some pretty interesting guys coming out next year.  I'll be keeping an eye of Drew Lock.  If Aaron is fully recovered think he can play at a high level for 3 or 4 seasons yet.  Once his legs go he'll be in trouble.  He's not Tom Brady has a different game.  Ideally Aaron's heir apparent will be drafted in the next 2 years.

I've been hearing about how Aaron is going to struggle when his legs go in 3 years since 2011.

1 minute ago, Scoremore said:

Well the guy is not immortal Alex.  Father time waits for no man.  

Obviously, but if you think Aaron Rodgers was the same runner in 2016 that he was in 2011, then you're not watching clearly. Rodgers change to his game has been so graceful that some people seem to have completely missed it. 

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

NFL performance isn't a bell-curve.

I was referring to an individual players' performance graph over time. He starts out slow as a rookie, climbs to his apex and then tapers off toward the end of his career. And synchronizing a paycheck to each different player with a different slope, a different apex and different tail is quite the challenge

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I was referring to an individual players' performance graph over time. He starts out slow as a rookie, climbs to his apex and then tapers off toward the end of his career. And synchronizing a paycheck to each different player with a different slope, a different apex and different tail is quite the challenge

Probably a more fair assessment, I'd hesitate to make that claim due to the frequency of injury, but for the general pattern, you are probably correct.

9 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Obviously, but if you think Aaron Rodgers was the same runner in 2016 that he was in 2011, then you're not watching clearly. Rodgers change to his game has been so graceful that some people seem to have completely missed it. 

I actually was thinking a lot about this the other day when in the boat....

I don't think the change in his game happened due to injuries or age or anything like that.  I think his change happened in order to get over the Seattle hump.  GB re-designed their offense and started incorporating more of those scramble drills.  They started making it a focal point of the offense, because that extension of the play and a play within a play really puts pressure on man to man coverage.

It worked so well against all the other teams that they stuck to it...and it worked okay against Seattle.  Thing about Seattle was that the defense was just that good.  Quick pressure, really good corners, eraser safeties...etc.

But that offense rolled the NFL for a lot of games.

Now the average NFL defense has evolved.  Containing Rodgers between the tackles more.  Sure he will get out on occasion, but it is a lot more difficult now.  That's why GB would be wise to go back to more of a timing offense, more of a New England type attack.  And maybe with Graham they will.  Still keep the ole playground stuff in the back pocket, but they need to stop relying on that stuff.

Sorry, took the scenic route here again in reference to your post and how Rodgers game has evolved.  I think it needs to evolve back to the timing offense now...at least swing the pendulum a little more in that direction, especially if it means leaning on a running game more.

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I don't think the change in his game happened due to injuries or age or anything like that.  I think his change happened in order to get over the Seattle hump.  GB re-designed their offense and started incorporating more of those scramble drills.  They started making it a focal point of the offense, because that extension of the play and a play within a play really puts pressure on man to man coverage.

It worked so well against all the other teams that they stuck to it...and it worked okay against Seattle.  Thing about Seattle was that the defense was just that good.  Quick pressure, really good corners, eraser safeties...etc.

Now the average NFL defense has evolved.  Containing Rodgers between the tackles more.  Sure he will get out on occasion, but it is a lot more difficult now.  That's why GB would be wise to go back to more of a timing offense, more of a New England type attack.  And maybe with Graham they will.  Still keep the ole playground stuff in the back pocket, but they need to stop relying on that stuff.

Sorry, took the scenic route here again in reference to your post and how Rodgers game has evolved.  I think it needs to evolve back to the timing offense now...at least swing the pendulum a little more in that direction, especially if it means leaning on a running game more.

Since MM finally moved on from Edgar Bennett as OC and hired Philbin we'll see a lot more adaptability on offense.  Think we'll move in exactly in the direction you are talking about.  Bennett did not game plan.  He was horrible and it was painfully obvious.  Thus Aaron resorted to sandlot football.  Well that's my take anyway.

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

Mark Murphy on contracts tied to % of the cap.

He expects agents to push for it, doesn't expect teams to allow it.

Yeah.  Not a chance the Packers even consider that.  They'd sooner let Rodgers play out his current contract, tag him twice, and then let him walk.

9 hours ago, vegas492 said:

That's a great analysis, and I hope you are right about the trend for the future. 

Unpopular opinion incoming...

If the rumors are true, why does Rodgers want to be the highest paid QB so fervently?  I know he deserves to be, and as a matter of pragmatism, he should be squeezing as much money out of the NFL as he can.

However, from a legacy standpoint - if he wants to go out as the GOAT, then why couldn't/wouldn't he take a sizable pay cut in order to fit in other veterans?  Kind of like how Brady does.  Is there a lifestyle/purchasing power difference between 20 and 30 million?

In GOAT discussions, another thing that has to work in Brady's favor is that he has been willing to take less money to win more.  Yeah, Gisele has more money, etc., but the effect is palpable.

Archived