Damarious Randall traded to the Browns for DeShone Kizer

marky mark

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/43983/brett-hundley-has-competition-packers-cornerback-room-has-holes-after-trade

There was strong sentiment in the locker room at that time to give Randall the boot -- sources said McCarthy's committee of veteran players suggested that Randall be released -- but the Packers stood by him. He responded with a stretch of three straight games with an interception and finished with a team-high four picks but missed the final two games with an knee injury that some in the organization thought he could have played through. Then, Randall was critical of defensive coordinator Dom Capers, who was fired after the season.

Not sure how true

Just now, Green19 said:

At best GB goes one year with him then gets a 3rd comp when he signs with another team.

Wrong.  At best, GB goes one year, picks up his fifth year option, then franchise tags him for three more years out of him. 

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

A solid backup QB is absolute **** return for a starting QB.

What do you think your chances are of getting a better player at 123 rather than 133?

The Browns don't have a pick at the beginning of round 4. They traded it for Jarvis Landry. They have a worst pick in the 4th round than our standard pick. 

Wait, they traded pick 101 for Landry? Thought the 4th in that deal was 2019.

4 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

we can all get down with www.firenorm.com

But even that website won't make me like this trade.  Neither will signing FA deals with Superman and Jesus Christ to play CB for us.  We did just trade a starting caliber CB for a QB that played worse than our back-up last season.

He played worse on a historically bad football team, with a Head coach that threw players under the bus as a ROOKIE at 21 years of age. You guys are reading FAR too much into this. It's hard enough being a rookie QB coming into the league alone. There's still room for Kizer to develop and develop into a nice player at that. Also, for those saying Randall was a "starting cb" he showed flashes but that's all he's done his entire career in GB so far, while  also making me want to vomit in my mouth at times. Let's not pretend that he was an elite CB that we traded for penny's on the dollar. He was worth a quarter and someone threw us 2 dimes and we're all bitching that we lost a nickel on the deal. Pun intended.

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Wrong.  At best, GB goes one year, picks up his fifth year option, then franchise tags him for three more years out of him. 

Really? There was a divide there. That’s just asking for cancer.

Just now, Green19 said:

Really? There was a divide there. That’s just asking for cancer.

Trade McCarthy then.  Don't act like that was serious. 

I don't think anybody is 100% upset with trading Randall.  Even when I first read it, there was that little bit of excitement.  What did we get for him? 

Finding out it was for a QB and moving up in two rounds is what has me so upset. 

And the fact that it's our weakest position. 

It's the compensation and what we got for him that makes me so mad, not that we traded him. 

29 minutes ago, SSG said:

How so?  Are we going to use top picks like we did the last 2 years because that seemed to work so well.  While, Hundley was bad, Kiezer was worse so its anything but a lock that he's better than Hundley given the fact that he was an absolute turnover machine last year. 

Now we've got a rookie who was up and down last year and nothing short of garbage behind him.  You know that I     couldn't stand Randall but this is a horrid trade.  We traded a quality asset away for an 0-16 team's garbage.

Hi SSG.

First - the "use top draft picks" comment speaks to the talent evaluation part which I've already commented I felt was lacking to some degree. We werent selecting alot of "difference makers" - which is purely subjective, so no need to debate about it - and we were landing players with injuries that lingered and washed out their rookie seasons. Bad drafting? Cant say - but delayed reward certainly. 

My Hundley/Kizer comparison starts with - one was a 3rd year guy - who in my opinion was painful to watch - first downs seemed a bridge too far more times than not - versus a rookie - who I didnt see a whole bunch of but apparently struggled. I dont want Hundley around personally - so I've no problem bringing somebody else in. As you know, during the season I was a proponent of bringing in a Veteran for backup. Well, we didnt quite do that - but Hundley will be less of a factor (if at all) - which doesnt dismay me one bit.

As you may recall, I was an advocate for DR when drafted and liked that particular draft as I felt (at the time) it gave us a bunch of ball hawk DB's. Well it didnt pan out that way.  I know for fact you didnt like DR. For quite some time you were dogging him - whereas others were cutting him slack due to injuries. Turns out (IMO) the meter falls somewhere in between. He's not All Pro material - I think thats safe to say. Now you may have warmed to him in the latter stages of last year - but the majority of time you thought he had bust written all over him.

We'll need to replace DR. Not an insurmountable task IMO. I'm not gonna piss my pants over this.

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Trade McCarthy then.  Don't act like that was serious. 

I don't think anybody is 100% upset with trading Randall.  Even when I first read it, there was that little bit of excitement.  What did we get for him? 

Finding out it was for a QB and moving up in two rounds is what has me so upset. 

And the fact that it's our weakest position. 

It's the compensation and what we got for him that makes me so mad, not that we traded him. 

I'd be just as upset as you, if I felt that this was the last move we were making in the defensive backfield this year.

Let's be real, legal "tampering" begins Monday, but there's been deals in place since the Combine. Trades are in motion and guys will continuously be hitting the market until Monday.

Gute knows what he has lined up.

If we go into the season with King-Rollins-Pipkins-Hawkins at CB. I'll give Norm a grand to hire a web designer for his site. Somehow I don't think that will happen.

Archived