Predict The Roster

SemperFeist

20 hours ago, Klomp said:

I don't have the time or the desire to do an entire 53-man roster prediction, but last night I was thinking about what might happen during Floyd's suspension. It got me thinking about the backs and receivers.

Before I give my thoughts, here is the list of backs and receivers currently on the roster that they'll have to choose from.

RB: Cook, Murray, McKinnon, Sankey, Newby, Ham (FB)
WR: Diggs, Thielen, Treadwell, Wright, Coley, Adams, Fruechte, Bohringer, Jones, Shelton
TE: Rudolph, Morgan, Hodges, Carter, Price, Truesdell

If I had to guess, I'd say the common belief is to keep 13 players from this list. Usually, that's 3 RBs, 6 WRs, 3 TEs, 1 TE/FB. I've bolded the guys who I believe are near-locks to make the initial roster. Of the remaining, most are giving the last four spots to Coley, Adams, Hodges and either Ham or Carter.

However, I wonder if we could see a scenario where only one of the rookie WRs makes the team and both Ham and Carter make the team.

Early reviews on the OL weren't great. I think they may want to keep extra reinforcements on the roster, at least to start the season.

Later on when Floyd comes back, they could make a decision between keeping the status quo of 5 WRs (which probably means a decision between Wright and Coley) or going back to 6 WRs (and cutting either Ham or Carter).

I don't think they stick a fork in the pork, Ham will remain on the 53 man roster the entire year.  I don't see Carter making the cut, he'll be placed on the practice squad to develop. 

Don't think there's any need to keep Heinicke on the 53 in order to keep him in the organization, so I used an extra slot for DL to protect the young guys from waivers.

QB (2): Bradford, Keenum -- Bridgewater PUP, Heinicke PS

RB (3): Cook, Murray, McKinnon -- Ham PS

TE (4): Rudolph, Morgan, Hodges, Carter

WR (6): Diggs, Thielen, Treadwell, Wright, Coley, Adams (KR) -- Floyd SUSP, CJones PS

OL (9): Reiff, Boone, Elflein, Berger, Remmers, Hill, Easton, Isidora, Beavers -- Clemmings cut, Kerin cut

DE (5): Griffen, Hunter, Robison, Weatherly, Bower -- Odenigbo PS

DT (5): Joseph, DJones, Stephen, TJohnson, JJohnson -- Sutton cut, Floyd IR

LB (6): Barr, Kendricks, ERobinson, Gedeon, Brothers, EWilson -- Lee PS

CB (6): Rhodes, Waynes, Alexander, Newman, Exum (SCB), Sherels (PR) -- Sinkfield PS

S (4): Smith, Sendejo, Kearse, Harris -- Tocho PS

K: Forbath

P: Symmank

LS: McDermott

Definitely have a hard time seeing Lamur on the final roster. Especially since Wilson showed he may be able to fill as a coverage LB.

Wright will have a difficult time too, both Adams and Coley flashed some upside. I'd like to move on from Lamur and Wright if rookies make that possible.

The battle for that 9th OL spot between Clemmings, Beavers, and Sirles is going to be interesting. 

Re-watching the Buffalo game, Clemmings had a decent game. He certainly had his moments of bad, but he had more plays of good play. But Clemmings has shown that he simply can't play tackle, so he doesn't have the versatility that you'd like from a backup. 

Sirles has been moving all over the offensive line, seeing snaps at LG, LT, and RT. But his play has been pretty uninspiring. 

Beavers is in the boat as Sirles. He's played multiple positions, but hasn't really stood out. 

If you're simply looking for a backup, then I think the spot goes to Sirles, but if you have any belief that Clemmings or Beavers could develop into something more, we have some backups in place that could allow you to keep one as a pure developmental player. 

Keenum doing well in pre-season games would enable moving Heniecke to the PS without risk of being short one QB.

The last few (2-3) OL are on the bubble, and I wouldn't be surprised to see all of them cut in favor of signing a few vet OL released by other teams.

Wright as a WR has a better chance to make the roster than MoBo, due to the two rookies showing some useful skills.  I'd be surprised to see Wright on the final roster if a vet WR is available on/ after final roster cut down day.... for vet min. salary.

I expect to see more talk about Robison being cut, or asked to lower his salary, and Sherels to be cut.  Then, I expect to see the same actions by Spielman in regard to both, year after year.

Is it this year or next when only one cutdown, instead of three, occurs?  If it's this year, my points above are more likely to occur than not.

I could see a case for carrying 10 OL.

Hill, Sirles and Easton/Elflen should be the top backups, the ones most likely to be active on game day.

after that, it's mostly developmental players Isidora and Beavers.

And then you have Clemmings and Kerin, I see little developmental upside at this point and there are better game day backups on the roster in the three names mentioned above.

LT Reiff / LG Boone / C Easton / RG Berger / RT Remmers

OT Hill / OT/G Sirles / C Elflein

OL Beavers / Isidora

im leaning towards these ten granted that Isidora and Beavers show enough to be worthy of a spot and keep pace with Kerin and Clemmings. 

Looking forward, Easton, Hill, Berger and Sirles have expiring contracts. Might be worthwhile keeping a couple extra OL around.

Sirles was bad last year, has reportedly had a poor camp and is currently playing 3rd string. I don't think they'll hesitate to let him go. 

Beavers has been the backup RT this year, ahead of Sirles. He reportedly had a good camp and played pretty well in the first preseason game. Sparano was involved in making him their pick in the first place, so I think they'll keep him this year. 

I thought Clemmings was as bad as usual in the Buffalo game, he just was more protected by playing inside. Given that they have multiple better IOL backups, I think it's time to move on. 

I expect Elflein to win the starting job at OC as soon as his shotgun snap can be trusted. I was a big fan of Easton but he didn't get it done last year as the starter and the first preseason game wasn't inspiring. 

I also like Isidora's chances of starting at RG before the year is over:

Reiff / Boone / Elflein / Isidora / Remmers

Berger, Hill active; Easton, Beavers inactive

I hope they don't keep replacement level OL like Kerin or Sirles when they could use the roster spot to protect more talented players that have more long-term upside (Bower, Exum as SCB, Wilson or Lee, Coley or Adams, etc). If injuries force them to go 10 deep on the OL this year, they could do just as well signing guys off the street as playing Sirles or Kerin, based on their performances last year. 

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:39 PM, SemperFeist said:

I think his $3.7M contract, which is guaranteed on the first day of the season, prevents Wright from making the team. 

I'm hopeful, we approach Wright with a restructure option, to keep him on the team, in lieu of cutting him.

But I want the yute potential to be on the roster first and foremost.

But why would Wright do that? He likely won't make as much money as he's set to make if he gets cut, but he also knows that if he gets cut he'll likely find a team where he'll be able to play.

Why take a pay cut, and get buried on the depth chart? When you could take the pay cut and find playing time where he has a chance at earning a new contract.

Why does the $3.7 really even matter all that much to the Vikings right at the moment?

It is a cap savings of $1,458,125 and still would have $1,680,000 in dead money.

His cut would have absolutely nothing to do with his money on the line. Only way he will end up being cut is if they believe Jones or Böhringer are more viable options which is pretty hard to believe at this point.

With the injury history of out current Vikings its hard to believe we would cut a veteran that has been durable.

I'm not trying  to exactly say he won't be cut at the end of the day, but money will not be the issue of why he will be cut.

Archived