The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

On 11/23/2023 at 1:53 PM, candyman93 said:

Establish the tone from the first drive. Be the more physical team.

Not only physicality but I would like to see OSU sell out to stop the run and make McCarthy beat you through the air. I'm not sold at all on him as a passer and frankly the UM receivers don't scare me nearly as much as their run game. With a replacement HC they are going to stick to what they do best and what's safe, which is the run. Make them uncomfortable by forcing them to pass and have their coach have to actually go off script with his play calling.

They want to pound the rock. Take it away from them. They need guys like Smith/Hall/Eichenberg/Chambers to have BIG days getting into the backfield and not letting their RBs get to the second level.

This is also a game where missing Lathan Ransom is going to hurt. He is really good at Safety coming down and making plays against the run.

Edited by AkronsWitness

Day's worst loss, in terms of rankings, is the 12th ranked team if I'm not mistaken. Yeah, it would be nice to win every game and beat your rival every time (even when they've cheated twice) but it's not realistic to expect that to happen. 

There's no reason to get rid of him. Maybe make the seat warm but that's really about it

3 championship games in 5 years and no bad losses. It sucks losing to UM but they will vacate these games for cheating and these teams are wildly better than any rosters UM has built 3 straight seasons. 

Winning 90% of your game, making the title game, and getting insane recruits is what you want for a HC. I think Ryan Days 5 seasons are objectively more successful than Urbans last 4 years at OSU yet we idolize Urban. 

Firing Day would be incredibly stupid. Like *incredibly* stupid. And we'd regret it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

I think you have to do some real self introspection though. Most talented team in the conference each year. He needs to change offensive style a bit.

I think a bit of our problem this year was McCord and his inability to process the field. Factor that in with an average OL, it is not a recipe for success. Hopefully Kyle can get better with another year under his belt but in no way, shape, or form should the job be his by default next year. 

57 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

3 championship games in 5 years and no bad losses. It sucks losing to UM but they will vacate these games for cheating and these teams are wildly better than any rosters UM has built 3 straight seasons. 

Winning 90% of your game, making the title game, and getting insane recruits is what you want for a HC. I think Ryan Days 5 seasons are objectively more successful than Urbans last 4 years at OSU yet we idolize Urban. 

Firing Day would be incredibly stupid. Like *incredibly* stupid. And we'd regret it.

This is really the perspective and thought process I agree with. Everyone's perception will be different but the grass isn't always greener. Who could we realistically get that would be better? I honestly can't think of anyone. Yeah, people would say Vrable and I'd agree but that's a long shot, at best. Other than him, I really don't know. 

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

22 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I think a bit of our problem this year was McCord and his inability to process the field. Factor that in with an average OL, it is not a recipe for success. Hopefully Kyle can get better with another year under his belt but in no way, shape, or form should the job be his by default next year. 

That and a finesse zone blocking scheme that won’t use a QB run even if we have a mobile QB. They simply don’t control the sticks on the ground like they should and the complete lack of a ground game at QB as part of the system is kind of insane. If they’re going to do that I’d prefer they just change the scheme altogether and run a power scheme. 

2 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

That and a finesse zone blocking scheme that won’t use a QB run even if we have a mobile QB. They simply don’t control the sticks on the ground like they should and the complete lack of a ground game at QB as part of the system is kind of insane. If they’re going to do that I’d prefer they just change the scheme altogether and run a power scheme. 

This team overreacted badly to losing against Clemson. They were the reason we made as many bad scheme changes as we did.

Day’s scheme itself is nonsense. Nothing but deep and intermediate shots. Rarely if ever do we see a screen or RPO. Yesterday on the first drive we saw a bubble for the first time in 5 years. He refuses to let the quarterback run or move the pocket. The OL has to pass pro all day for route concepts to work.