The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

Apparently OSU is offering a 1 year NIL deal to both MHJ/Henderson approximately equal to the 1st year rookie salary to come back for another season.

I truly don't understand it for either but hey. Shocking if MHJ turns down the chance of being a top 3 pick just to come back and win a B1G championship.

You would also have the Bears organization kicking themselves lol

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

I understand Henderson coming back more than Harrison. I would say Henderson is probably like a third round guy. Ohio State could probably muster that type of money for a season comparable to third round rookie money. They aren’t going to pay anybody $30 million which is probably on the cheap end of what Marvin Harrison is going to be making guaranteed starting next season in the NFL. Henderson could actually improve his value, as he was injured half the season this year. He could be a Heisman type of guy with a full healthy season. Marvin has nowhere to go but down.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I understand Henderson coming back more than Harrison. I would say Henderson is probably like a third round guy. Ohio State could probably muster that type of money for a season comparable to third round rookie money. They aren’t going to pay anybody $30 million which is probably on the cheap end of what Marvin Harrison is going to be making guaranteed starting next season in the NFL. Henderson could actually improve his value, as he was injured half the season this year. He could be a Heisman type of guy with a full healthy season. Marvin has nowhere to go but down.

It would be a 1 year deal. Will Anderson who was taken #3 overall last year is making 6.4M this season. That seems like a easily doable number for NIL to get Marvin back for a year if they really want to.

I just......dont know why he would lol Like you said, nowhere to go but down

However, if Marvin goes back for 1 year because of NIL--thats going to open up a whoooole can of worms in the future with other players declaring/not declaring

Edited by AkronsWitness

Marv could really do what a lot of people expected may happen and that's premier talent coming back for a 4th year bc NIL gives them the cash they expect from a first round contract. 

Again, don't expect it to happen but if it does, I'm not sad in the least bit. I really don't expect it to bc we don't have a stable QB situation. If it was something like Stroud going into his final season, I get it, but not with us supposedly shopping in the portal after QB1 entered the transfer portal. 

Love Brown's attitude and Lincoln's potential but nothing is proven right now. A big gamble for Marv to come back for that. 

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

7 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

It would be a 1 year deal. Will Anderson who was taken #3 overall last year is making 6.4M this season. That seems like a easily doable number for NIL to get Marvin back for a year if they really want to.

I just......dont know why he would lol Like you said, nowhere to go but down

However, if Marvin goes back for 1 year because of NIL--thats going to open up a whoooole can of worms in the future with other players declaring/not declaring

He’s also got essentially a 4 year guaranteed contract if he gets hurt as a rookie that NIL can’t factor into for a single year.

IMO NIL makes more sense for guys like the Blake Corums of the world who are Day 3 caliber NFL guys who will make more by staying in college or mercenaries who want to leverage the portal as underclassmen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

He’s also got essentially a 4 year guaranteed contract if he gets hurt as a rookie that NIL can’t factor into for a single year.

IMO NIL makes more sense for guys like the Blake Corums of the world who are Day 3 caliber NFL guys who will make more by staying in college or mercenaries who want to leverage the portal as underclassmen.

Yeah and I wonder how much he really cares about money coming from the family he is in. I understand everyone loves money but given he never really has to worry about that in his life I wonder if 'going out the right way' in Columbus and things money cant buy weigh a little bit heavier for him.

I still just dont know why he would lol I loved college as much as the next person but if I had a job lined up willing to pay me top of the market for my skill upon graduation I would be looking to get out as fast as humanly possible.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah and I wonder how much he really cares about money coming from the family he is in. I understand everyone loves money but given he never really has to worry about that in his life I wonder if 'going out the right way' in Columbus and things money cant buy weigh a little bit heavier for him.

I still just dont know why he would lol I loved college as much as the next person but if I had a job lined up willing to pay me top of the market for my skill upon graduation I would be looking to get out as fast as humanly possible.

Speaking as a former college athlete, that life low key sucked balancing academics and athletics. I wouldn’t trade it for anything, but yeah if I can get paid big money I’m taking that. Agreed.

On 12/7/2023 at 3:56 PM, AkronsWitness said:

Apparently OSU is offering a 1 year NIL deal to both MHJ/Henderson approximately equal to the 1st year rookie salary to come back for another season.

I truly don't understand it for either but hey. Shocking if MHJ turns down the chance of being a top 3 pick just to come back and win a B1G championship.

You would also have the Bears organization kicking themselves lol

I mean, i'm certainly not going to say no if Marv stays, but i'd still be shocked, even if he was offered $20 mil in NIL money.  Staying delays that 2nd contract by another year and that to me is a bigger factor than delaying rookie contract money for one year.  His 2nd NFL contract, if he is what we all think he is in the NFL, could be $30+ mil a year for 5 years, mostly guaranteed 3+ years from now.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Yeah, it’s silly season and there’s no way they’re offering anything in that ballpark. 

Last year Day said that they would need 13M to keep the roster together for this season. So one player, regardless of how good, making 20M+ seems like a stretch. Especially when you consider there is another group of 5*s like Tate/Ballard/Innis that are basically waiting for MHJ/Egbuka to leave lol

If OSU was average at recruiting WRs, I could see a crazy offer but you got real dudes behind the current starters waiting to take over. Let him go and spend that money on OL/DL recruits

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1