Redskins to Sign WR Paul Richardson

e16bball

48 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

With that TE duo, the Redskins don't really need "a #1 WR". They are likely to be spreading the ball around, right?.

They just needed more deep speed outside and an upgrade to the overall WR corps that would be on the field. Yes? 

You need a #1.

Davis is getting old. And Reed can' stay healthy.

You need a #1

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Yeah, he’s way off the mark here. Given that:

• Smith was the best deep passer in the league last season;
  • With Smith, Tyreek Hill was able to be the most productive deep target in the league; and

• When Jay Gruden had DeSean Jackson, we were one of the most productive deep passing offenses in the league

There’s literally no reason to believe he won’t get opportunities to make plays down the field.

Will he make them? I don’t know. The actual question mark with this signing is how good he is. But to ding the signing because of an outdated perception of Alex Smith is silly, superficial analysis to say the least. 

Correct. Smith needs a big play speedster so he will actually throw the ball downfield, like he had with Hill last year.

When you think about it, while Richardson is a decent WR who could explode in the next few years, I think this move was more about Smith and making sure he doesn't dump off 35x a game

• Like 1

Here's what Bill Barnwell has:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22680603/2018-nfl-free-agency-grades-big-trades-signings-moves-offseason-bill-barnwell

WR Paul Richardson, Washington

Grade: C

Injuries kept Richardson buried on Seattle's depth chart for the first three years of his rookie deal, but the departure of Jermaine Kearse and the broken leg suffered by Tyler Lockett helped push Richardson up the depth chart last season. He responded by delivering on the big-play potential we saw when Seattle took him in the second round of the 2014 draft, averaging 16 yards per catch while scoring six times on just 44 receptions.

The touchdown rate will regress toward the mean, though, and Richardson might very well be built to excel within the neverending plays and scrambling of the Russell Wilson universe. Of his six touchdowns, four came after Wilson held onto the ball for four seconds or more. Nobody else in the league had more than two such touchdowns, and that was only true for four other receivers. Injuries are also a concern, given that Richardson's left knee has been through a torn MCL and two torn ACLs.

In a market in which teams seem desperate to overpay midtier wide receivers, though, Washington is giving the 25-year-old Richardson a five-year, $40 million deal with $20 million in guarantees. It's a remarkable leap and seems to be a bizarre fit for an offense with Alex Smith under center, given that even the 2017 version of Smith wasn't exactly chucking it downfield on a frequent basis. Washington's offense is littered with injury risks, and while players like Jordan Reed and Chris Thompson offer significant upside when healthy, it's not clear that's the case with Richardson.

Here's my issue.  Yes he's relatively young and he's a good athlete, but entering his 5th NFL season he's basically still just a prospect at this point.  Is a prospect worth $8 mil per year on average?  I mean we could take a guy with speed in the 2nd round of the draft and pay him like $1 mil per year.  

15 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Here's my issue.  Yes he's relatively young and he's a good athlete, but entering his 5th NFL season he's basically still just a prospect at this point.  Is a prospect worth $8 mil per year on average?  I mean we could take a guy with speed in the 2nd round of the draft and pay him like $1 mil per year.  

The draft is strong guard and running back. We still have a ton of needs on defense. I think it’s great we don’t have to pick a WR in the first 2 days of the draft now. 

Durability. That’s my biggest concern with the deal/player.

34 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Meant with no disrespect, but this post confuses me. So many of you... rightly or wrongly.. dog out the F/O and complain about Redskins' life. So... 

... wouldn't you expect to have to overpay players to want to come and be a part of Redskins' life? 

Just now, oldman9er said:

Meant with no disrespect, but this post confuses me. So many of you... rightly or wrongly.. dog out the F/O and complain about Redskins' life. So... 

... wouldn't you expect to have to overpay players to want to come and be a part of Redskins' life? 

And I'm supposed to be happy about that?  Yet another reason this front office needs to be cleaned out.  

2 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

When you are this guy, and you are a giant pile of steaming dog poo, yeah you are probably right to some extent. It's his own making.

usa_today_9645808.0.jpg

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

And I'm supposed to be happy about that?  Yet another reason this front office needs to be cleaned out.  

My question wasn't about "what it is you are supposed to be." I let that go. Be however depressed and depressing you wish to be.

The point of my question was, what do you expect? If DC is so horrible to play for, it would make sense that overpaying UFAs would be necessary. 

My question wasn't about "what it is you are supposed to be." I let that go. Be however depressed and depressing you wish to be.

The point of my question was, what do you expect? If DC is so horrible to play for, it would make sense that overpaying UFAs would be necessary. 

You seem to miss the point of my post, which was why are we paying a guy $40 mil that entering his 5th season is still a "prospect" when we could just draft a WR with speed?

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

You seem to miss the point of my post, which was why are we paying a guy $40 mil that entering his 5th season is still a "prospect" when we could just draft a WR with speed?

I guess the obvious answer is: the F/O really IS bat-poop crazy!!!! rage!!!!!!

I see this as a signing just to give us a deep threat, in order to open up routes underneath for crowder and reed. Not sure 8 mil was worth it. But cheaper than other receivers and I'll wait before I say to much. Guy is really good at targeting the ball in the air though.

• Like 2

I guess the obvious answer is: the F/O really IS bat-poop crazy!!!! rage!!!!!!

Oh yes, you are so correct.  I have no reason at all to be skeptical of Bruce Allen signing a young role player from another team to starter level money.  Oh wait:

Stacey McGee, Terrell McClain, Andre Roberts, David Bruton Jr, Duke Ihenacho, Chris Culliver, Stephen Paea, Akeem Jordan, Shawn Lauvao, 

• Like 1