Jaguars to sign WR Donte Moncrief

pwny

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

This.

Like...he is an upside WR. When healthy he's produced. Not sure how you can complain about $$ with a 1 yr deal that is under 9M.

I think it makes sense given we keep Hurns as this screams quantity/depth over quality. Also, as you said, not chained to the guy. If we let Hurns go, it makes less sense to me.

2 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:
3 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

how do you know he didnt want to be here?

I asked you first.

Considering that AR15 ended up signing elsewhere, I'd say the burden of proof either way is on LF.

Not to mention he wore Cubs gear weeks ago and already has Bulls gear too.

2 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Considering that AR15 ended up signing elsewhere, I'd say the burden of proof either way is on LF.

Not to mention he wore Cubs gear weeks ago and already has Bulls gear too.

it doesnt matter if he wears other city sports team gear. its not like Jacksonville really has any other teams outside the shrimps and jags. 

2 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

it doesnt matter if he wears other city sports team gear. its not like Jacksonville really has any other teams outside the shrimps and jags. 

The guy is from the midwest and played for a Big Ten team (albeit on the east coast), wore Cubs gear, already has Bulls gear, and signed with the Bears.

Doesn't matter though, I guess.

29 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

how do you know he didnt want to be here?

I mean, there's been tons of reasons. Called out the fans saying London felt more like home. That video with. Blake missing him on the sideline, etc.

More than signs pointing for us. Coughlins interview saying it takes two to tango further points to that.

28 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I think it makes sense given we keep Hurns as this screams quantity/depth over quality. Also, as you said, not chained to the guy. If we let Hurns go, it makes less sense to me.

If Moncrief stays healthy, he may be a long term fixture.

5 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

would u rather have Arob or lee+ Moncrief?

I don't have a problem with this signing in a vacuum, or the dollar value even.  Like i said...i like the player a lot.  Especially with no real long-term commitment.  But it's this aspect that really rubs me the wrong way.  I'd much rather have 1 ARob who can do everything pretty well, over 2 niche guys who each only really do one or maybe two specific things well...and both have plenty of history of trouble staying on the field.

We're not out here throwing up a bundle of 5 wide empty backfield spread sets or anything.  In this offense, you're only using so many WRs on the field at a time.  That's where Quality > Quantity more than ever.  Yet they're apparently going with the opposite.

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I don't have a problem with this signing in a vacuum, or the dollar value even.  Like i said...i like the player a lot.  Especially with no real long-term commitment.  But it's this aspect that really rubs me the wrong way.  I'd much rather have 1 ARob who can do everything pretty well, over 2 niche guys who each only really do one or maybe two specific things well...and both have plenty of history of trouble staying on the field.

We're not out here throwing up a bundle of 5 wide empty backfield spread sets or anything.  In this offense, you're only using so many WRs on the field at a time.  That's where Quality > Quantity more than ever.  Yet they're apparently going with the opposite.

ARob is easily better but i will say the knee issue does weigh it back close to balance

4 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

ARob is easily better but i will say the knee issue does weigh it back close to balance

The thing about the knee issue is it's a pretty black or white thing in the games he's missed.  And in coming back from it even.  He missed the entire season, because that's the way serious knee injuries go.  But prior to that, he'd been a pretty darn reliable guy.

Meanwhile...Lee missed what 9 games in his first couple years here, and another couple on top of that this year?  Not even counting the numerous spells within games that Lee consistently just disappears for due to injury.

Moncrief is much the same.  Almost a dozen games missed altogether over the last couple years, plus missed time in game.

ARob's injury is a gamble for sure, in that you don't really know how he's going to come back from it.  But at the same time... you know that both Lee and Moncrief have a history of missing games, or parts of games with injury and being dinged up a bunch.  It's not like we're comparing them to a constantly banged up WR.  We're comparing the duo to a guy who has been mostly pretty healthy and reliable, outside of one catastrophic knee injury.

Yeah I think if I had a choice I would rather have Arob vs Lee/Moncrief. But I think there's definitely things at play here that we don't know about regarding what they are looking for, and I think to an extent, what Arob does well is minimized a bit by the presence of fournette...who is our bell cow offensive option in the red zone.

We were already pretty efficient there with our run/pa options so needing Arob there is lessened. it would be nice, but we not dire like before.

I think he could have been great with downfield jumpballs too.

But I think watching last year, and seeing this team, it's pretty clear it functioned better with speed all over the field with one mid range move the chains guy (might be Hurns, could be TE).

Lee, Moncrief, Dede, Cole can all separate on these one on one crossers with their speed.

As good as arob was, that's not really his strength.

That said, knowing what I know now, I kinda would have liked to see Arob/Moncrief/Dede/Cole

Archived