Watching Keenum, Bradford, and Bridgewater

vike daddy

Not in Tampa. Winston in the final year of his deal (minus the 5th year option), is suspended and Fitzpatrick nothing more than a backup. Teddy could come in, start right away, and never give Winston a chance to earn the job back. Tampa has to be apprehensive about paying Jameis the $20M 5th year option based on his behavior off the field and performance on it. 

12 hours ago, Klomp said:

Well yeah, that's usually the case three weeks before the season.

Agreed.  He's not going in anywhere as a starter this season.  He has to hope that he can go to a place where he'll actually have a chance to win the starting job next season.  

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Agreed.  He's not going in anywhere as a starter this season.  He has to hope that he can go to a place where he'll actually have a chance to win the starting job next season.  

Or a place like Tampa, Cincinnati, Miami, or Jacksonville where they have starting QB's that could have short leashes. 

I've always wondered about Miami and why people think Tannehill has such a short leash?  I don't see that at all.  He's still got 3 years left on his deal and they certainly aren't cutting him before the 2020 season, since he'll still have $13M in dead money next year.  His problem has been staying healthy the last couple of years.  He's competent when he plays.   

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I've always wondered about Miami and why people think Tannehill has such a short leash?  I don't see that at all.  He's still got 3 years left on his deal and they certainly aren't cutting him before the 2020 season, since he'll still have $13M in dead money next year.  His problem has been staying healthy the last couple of years.  He's competent when he plays.   

Yeah I guess that would be a good situation because Tannehill is often injured. The other thing to think about is if the coach is on the hot seat. If they lose a couple games early they will be more likely to make a change at QB to save their job. Koetter's seat is red hot. Is Gase pretty safe? Is Marvin Lewis still untouchable? Marrone is safe.

7 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

Yeah I guess that would be a good situation because Tannehill is often injured. The other thing to think about is if the coach is on the hot seat. If they lose a couple games early they will be more likely to make a change at QB to save their job. Koetter's seat is red hot. Is Gase pretty safe? Is Marvin Lewis still untouchable? Marrone is safe.

I think all of the other places are certainly viable (Cincinnati, Tampa, Jax), I'm just not sure about the Miami situation...granted, I'm not that close to it, but I see no reason why he should even be on the hot seat yet.  This is only his 3rd year and he brought them to the playoffs when he did have Tannehill for most of the season.  It's pure nonsense that he is even being considered to be on the hot seat.

Personally, I would consider Cincinnati and Jacksonville to be the favorites on that list (although I think I'd still rather see him in Pittsburgh).    

Edited by swede700

27 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Yeah, the restructuring of Tannehill's deal this summer seems like it would take Miami off the short list.

I would also suggest bringing up teams with aging quarterbacks. It's too bad none of them seem like they're entering their final season, but you never know once guys get that old. And if you want to give Teddy the best supporting cast possible, that's the route to take.

Big-name trades in late August are rare, but after seeing a much more swap-heavy offseason than ever before, here's a handful of deals we can envision:

Jets QB Teddy Bridgewater to the Jaguars

New York could stumble onto a hefty haul if a playoff-hungry team suddenly loses its starter, but Bridgewater has a market either way. Not to completely dismiss Blake Bortles, who played strong football in the playoffs, but Jacksonville would make perfect sense.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000949853/article/nfl-preseason-trade-proposals-four-deals-that-just-make-sense?campaign=tw-nf-sf195956364-sf195956364&sf195956364=1&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Dan Cooper knows Teddy Bridgewater's heart like few people do, because Cooper cut open the quarterback's leg on Sept. 8, 2016, when pro football's most stunning comeback began inside a Dallas clinic.

"It's mangled," Cooper said. "You make the skin incision, and there's nothing there. It's almost like a war wound. Everything is blown."

Bridgewater had been referred to the surgeon by former Cowboys coach Bill Parcells, who had become something of a father confessor to the quarterback. Parcells told the doctor that Bridgewater was one of the greatest kids he'd ever met.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24439421/teddy-bridgewater-surgeon-tells-tale-bigger-trade-bait-2018-nfl-new-york-jets

• Like 1