Watching Keenum, Bradford, and Bridgewater

vike daddy

Let me predict that Teddy will wind up being Steve Young to Brees' Joe Montana!  The Saints' have a great young offense...with a better line then most teams in the NFL.  If they make it to the Super Bowl (and I believe they could very well represent the NFC) then Brees retires.  They resign Teddy for 16 million a year for 4 years, and he develops into a top 5 quarterback.  Which is very bad news for the Vikings, as the Saints will be competing with the Vikings for tops in the NFC.

4 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

Let me predict that Teddy will wind up being Steve Young to Brees' Joe Montana!  The Saints' have a great young offense...with a better line then most teams in the NFL.  If they make it to the Super Bowl (and I believe they could very well represent the NFC) then Brees retires.  They resign Teddy for 16 million a year for 4 years, and he develops into a top 5 quarterback.  Which is very bad news for the Vikings, as the Saints will be competing with the Vikings for tops in the NFC.

I think that’s very pie in the sky thinking. One, if Brees has shown one thing, it’s that he’s not going to leave a lot of money on the table. I’d be shocked if he turned down $20M+ just so that he could ride off into the sunset. Two, why would Bridgewater sign a deal like that? I can’t see Bridgewater signing a contract that essentially makes him the lowest paid starting QB, not on a rookie deal. 

Bridgewater’s window to prove he’s a legit starter and cash in is closing quickly. And the only way he’s going to do that is if he gets on the field, and not just during the preseason against vanilla defenses and 2nd/3rd string players. If the Saints don’t offer him that in 2019, he’s not likely to stick around. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

One, if Brees has shown one thing, it’s that he’s not going to leave a lot of money on the table.

Huh? I would say just the opposite. The one thing he has shown lately is that he will leave a lot of money on the table. He just did this offseason when he signed a two year $50M contract. He made it clear to everyone that the Saints were bidding against nobody. He left millions on the table in order to stay with the Saints.

39 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Huh? I would say just the opposite. The one thing he has shown lately is that he will leave a lot of money on the table. He just did this offseason when he signed a two year $50M contract. He made it clear to everyone that the Saints were bidding against nobody. He left millions on the table in order to stay with the Saints.

We have no clue what any other team was offering, so you simply can’t say he left millions on the table. And even if he did, leaving another $5M or so doesn’t compare to giving up $20M+ if he retired.

• Like 1

Just now, SemperFeist said:

We have no clue what any other team was offering, so you simply can’t say he left millions on the table. And even if he did, leaving another $5M or so doesn’t compare to giving up $20M+ if he retired.

I simply can say he left millions on the table.

He left millions on the table.

See. I just did.

He clearly was not negotiation for the largest possible contract. Drew Brees is worth far more than $25M per year and he knows it, the Saints know it, many, many people know it. All it takes is one team looking for a QB to think he is worth more than $25M and he has a lot of leverage. That is leverage he chose not to use by making it clear he was only interested in playing for the Saints.

4 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

He clearly was not negotiation for the largest possible contract. Drew Brees is worth far more than $25M per year and he knows it, the Saints know it, many, many people know it

Are you positive about that? If that were true, then why did Brees and his agent wait to re-sign with the Saints until after the open negotiating period started? If Brees wasn’t interested in hearing what other teams were offering, then why didn’t he sign sooner? 

Maybe, just maybe, he waited to hear what other teams were offering. Maybe he used their offers to leverage the Saints to up their offer. Maybe other teams weren’t willing to give more than $25M per year for a 39 year old QB, who’d be changing teams and changing schemes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

I simply can say he left millions on the table.

He left millions on the table.

See. I just did.

He clearly was not negotiation for the largest possible contract. Drew Brees is worth far more than $25M per year and he knows it, the Saints know it, many, many people know it. All it takes is one team looking for a QB to think he is worth more than $25M and he has a lot of leverage. That is leverage he chose not to use by making it clear he was only interested in playing for the Saints.

He signed his contract after the open negotiation period, but before the Cousins, Rodgers, and Ryan contracts. So, if my quick glance is correct, he was the 4th highest paid Quarterback in the NFL at the time he signed his deal. I kind of doubt there was a long line of teams looking to make a 39 year old Quarterback the highest paid QB in the NFL. 

23 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

He signed his contract after the open negotiation period, but before the Cousins, Rodgers, and Ryan contracts. So, if my quick glance is correct, he was the 4th highest paid Quarterback in the NFL at the time he signed his deal. I kind of doubt there was a long line of teams looking to make a 39 year old Quarterback the highest paid QB in the NFL. 

I think a few would have given Brees 84 million guaranteed over the next 3 years before giving it to Cousins. 

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Are you positive about that? If that were true, then why did Brees and his agent wait to re-sign with the Saints until after the open negotiating period started? If Brees wasn’t interested in hearing what other teams were offering, then why didn’t he sign sooner? 

Maybe, just maybe, he waited to hear what other teams were offering. Maybe he used their offers to leverage the Saints to up their offer. Maybe other teams weren’t willing to give more than $25M per year for a 39 year old QB, who’d be changing teams and changing schemes. 

Yes, I am 100% positive that Drew Brees didn't leverage other teams as much as he could have. There was a common narrative that he was only interested in staying with the Saints. A narrative that came from Drew Brees himself. A narrative that was reported and Brees did not publicly refute. Leaving that narrative out there necessarily did, in itself, reduce the interest in him from other teams. It reduced the groundswell of fans pushing the teams they root for to back the truck up for Brees. It let other team's off the hook in the court of public opinion for not pushing hard for Brees.

I do not think you are ignorant. These things all happened within the last six months and I know you were paying attention in the offseason. That leaves me wondering why you are so resistant to accepting the reality. Is it simply that you don't want to admit the statement was a mistake? It was a mistake to suggest that Drew Brees has shown that he will not leave money on the table. He has shown that he will. And his actions spoke even louder than his words when he did just that.

Brees himself admitted that he didn't go for all the dollars he knows he could have gotten:

"I think that provides certainly the team with the most flexibility when it comes to being able to anticipate the future and the ability to acquire free agents and re-sign players on our existing roster that will build a championship team," said Brees about his willingness to only take one year guaranteed.

Brees, who turned 39 in January, insisted all along that he wants to be a "Saint for life" and didn't plan to let any other teams in on a bidding war -- even though had he done so, he possibly could have become the highest-paid player in NFL history for the second time in his career.

A source said that at least one other team was willing to give Brees $60 million guaranteed over two years to try and woo him away from New Orleans.

Put simply, Brees accepted less money to play where he wanted to play and also in hopes that it will help the team win.

Question my statement all you want, but it is absurd for you to say that I simply can't make the statement. I certainly can. I stick to it. And I am very confident that I am correct. I never said that you can't say what you said about Brees. You can. I merely stated that I would say the opposite and included the reason. Why is that so objectionable?

To be as clear as possible: Drew Brees did not drive as hard of a bargain as he could have. Drew Brees did leave a lot of money on the table.

stutter.jpeg

Edited by Cearbhall

there was literally no realistic reason for brees to leave new orleans. he had spent twelve years there, was comfortable working with sean payton, had a team that was contending for the super bowl, etc. if the money was even close there was no reason for him to leave. 

it would have been an all-out move and not a responsible move for any franchise to make but i would've loved if we signed brees to a one-year deal in the ballpark of $35 million. brees' arm talent might have fallen off a little (accuracy is still there) but he's still an elite QB and combined with our defense we would be the hands-down favourites to win the super bowl.

30 minutes ago, whitehops said:

there was literally no realistic reason for brees to leave new orleans. he had spent twelve years there, was comfortable working with sean payton, had a team that was contending for the super bowl, etc. if the money was even close there was no reason for him to leave. 

it would have been an all-out move and not a responsible move for any franchise to make but i would've loved if we signed brees to a one-year deal in the ballpark of $35 million. brees' arm talent might have fallen off a little (accuracy is still there) but he's still an elite QB and combined with our defense we would be the hands-down favourites to win the super bowl.

Completely agree. I too would have signed Brees for $35M for the year. In fact, I am quite certain that I wrote that somewhere leading to free agency. 

Yes, there was this:

And this:

But then there was this where I seemed almost prescient with the values QBs would get:

Hopefully while I had the values right I am wrong about which QB it is better to have at those values. I'll be wishing Keenum the best (along with Bradford and Bridgewater) but really hoping that Kirk Cousins not only proves to be the best of the four QBs but also enough better than the alternatives to justify the loss of cap space that will directly mean losing some other player.

Edited by Cearbhall