Ownership directed Front Office attend all QB prospects' games in 2017

jetskid007

I look at a few things.

1. Macc values draft picks. I've stated this several times. If we want to get to 3 lets say we have to give up 6 and both 2nds (possibly even more). Macc balked at the asking price for IMO far better draft prospects in Goff and Wentz a couple years ago. I think he values this top 3 picks way too much to trade them away when he's almost guaranteed to still get a QB at 6 with talent.

2. Macc mores so than Bowles probably with this off season even pre draft bought himself at least another year. Trading up has being desperate written all over it. Bridgewater I think bought him another year. Add a QB at 6 and I really think his job is safe. He also increases his job being safe with 2 valuable picks in Round 2.

3.This I believe is the least likely but not completely far fetched. Macc is a BPA guy. He might have Barkley, Nelson and Chubb as his top 3 guys. With so many QB needy teams ahead of us, he might be perfectly OK with staying at 6 and taking 1 of those 3 bc they are BPA to him.

The idea of sitting at #6 isn't a bad idea, but I think him coming up short in his trade up attempts and having to watch those same prospects light it up gives him a reason to go harder for a prospect he really want. 

I really believe mcCown will just turn into a big insurance policy if TB & who ever we draft looks good. TB looking good will create a great trade situation going into next season similar to the last Bradford trade. Then McCown becomes a Back up to the rookie at some point. Then we'll go into next season with a franchise QB and more picks to build around him. 

1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

The idea of sitting at #6 isn't a bad idea, but I think him coming up short in his trade up attempts and having to watch those same prospects light it up gives him a reason to go harder for a prospect he really want. 

I really believe mcCown will just turn into a big insurance policy if TB & who ever we draft looks good. TB looking good will create a great trade situation going into next season similar to the last Bradford trade. Then McCown becomes a Back up to the rookie at some point. Then we'll go into next season with a franchise QB and more picks to build around him. 

I'll start by saying I like that your open to not trading up. That being said... this whole idea that we trade up and get "our" guy is far from 100%. This is my biggest gripe about all of this. It's assumed that whoever we trade up for is the next Goff or Wentz. Like there's 0 risk. And that's the part I'm emphasizing from my standpoint, is that I don't view and QB on that type of prospect level. I don't see any one of these guys near the odds of what I thought Goff or Wentz would be to be a franchise QB. You don't just trade up to trade up.

Let me ask you guys a question, because I don't have the time to follow things as closely anymore. How is this draft class being rated as a whole compared to other years in terms of depth?

I have heard there are a number of good D T's, some good R B's obviously,  but I don't hear about edge rushers, W R,T E' s that might be had in round two or three. I ask this because I wonder what the Jets would be giving up if they moved picks to trade up, or how valuable those picks are compared to other years.

33 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I'll start by saying I like that your open to not trading up. That being said... this whole idea that we trade up and get "our" guy is far from 100%. This is my biggest gripe about all of this. It's assumed that whoever we trade up for is the next Goff or Wentz. Like there's 0 risk. And that's the part I'm emphasizing from my standpoint, is that I don't view and QB on that type of prospect level. I don't see any one of these guys near the odds of what I thought Goff or Wentz would be to be a franchise QB. You don't just trade up to trade up.

At the end of the day, it's all about who Macc really want. I can tell you who's worth it, you can do the same, but Macc might see them completely different. Goff & Wentz weren't looked at as elite prospects compared to other drafted QBs.  At the time, a lot of people thought they gave up too much for Wentz because he was a AA QB. Now no one remembers reactions to the trade because he's a hit. I'm pretty sure that year was one of those " wait til next year to draft a QB" year on this thread. 

A lot of people, scouts, and etc love Baker, Rosen, and Darnold. Macc himself was just at UCLA & Oklahoma's prodays to see these QBs. If he thinks Rosen is the next Rodgers or Baker is the next Drew Brees, he has to make his move. No reason to sit back and hope one of the fall when so many teams in front of you would take them.

I think Rosen is an Elite prospect. His stats won't say because of injuries and Mora's terrible job of getting top prospects to commit. Also had the 2nd highest drop percentage out of all the QBs at 7.7% behind Jackson's 8.4%. At the same time, I think Jackson is a mentally prepared Vick with better pocket skills. That's why I'm fine with trading up or sitting, but if I know we have a shot to get our top QB on our board, I say get him. 

You really hit the nail on the head Ricky, took the words right out of my mouth.

Just because Bobby816 doesn’t think Josh Rosen is an elite prospect, does not mean Macc thinks the same. Fortune favors the bold. If there is a QB who Macc falls in love with, he sure as hell better attempt to trade up for him. 

I’ve brought this up recently but I think it’s more likely we trade up to 4 than anything else. In that case, the Jets would only have to part with the Seahawks 2nd or their own 3rd round pick.

6 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

You really hit the nail on the head Ricky, took the words right out of my mouth.

Just because Bobby816 doesn’t think Josh Rosen is an elite prospect, does not mean Macc thinks the same. Fortune favors the bold. If there is a QB who Macc falls in love with, he sure as hell better attempt to trade up for him. 

I’ve brought this up recently but I think it’s more likely we trade up to 4 than anything else. In that case, the Jets would only have two part with the Seahawks 2nd or their own 3rd round pick.

I'm starting to think so as well, but it's a potential bidding war right now. I'm fine with that if we're getting our top QB. 

I think this is possible. 

#1. Barkley/Baker

#2. Darnold/Allen (Bills)

#3. None QB

#4. .....

54 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

At the end of the day, it's all about who Macc really want. I can tell you who's worth it, you can do the same, but Macc might see them completely different. Goff & Wentz weren't looked at as elite prospects compared to other drafted QBs.  At the time, a lot of people thought they gave up too much for Wentz because he was a AA QB. Now no one remembers reactions to the trade because he's a hit. I'm pretty sure that year was one of those " wait til next year to draft a QB" year on this thread. 

A lot of people, scouts, and etc love Baker, Rosen, and Darnold. Macc himself was just at UCLA & Oklahoma's prodays to see these QBs. If he thinks Rosen is the next Rodgers or Baker is the next Drew Brees, he has to make his move. No reason to sit back and hope one of the fall when so many teams in front of you would take them.

I think Rosen is an Elite prospect. His stats won't say because of injuries and Mora's terrible job of getting top prospects to commit. Also had the 2nd highest drop percentage out of all the QBs at 7.7% behind Jackson's 8.4%. At the same time, I think Jackson is a mentally prepared Vick with better pocket skills. That's why I'm fine with trading up or sitting, but if I know we have a shot to get our top QB on our board, I say get him. 

Absolutely. But for a guy who values picks he really will have to LOVE the guy to give up big assets. And that’s what I’m emphasizing. It will take More than just liking a guy.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Absolutely. But for a guy who values picks he really will have to LOVE the guy to give up big assets. And that’s what I’m emphasizing. It will take More than just liking a guy.

I agree, but if Macc is high on them like he was on the other prospects he tried to trade up for, pay up. If he paid more, Wentz could of been ours. He can't afford to think like that this time. I like Darnold, but I'm not high on him. If Macc trade for him and he's a hit, I'll be sitting at home with a Darnold jersey as if I loved him my whole life. 

From everything I’ve read and gathered, the talent level in this draft really falls off a cliff after the first 20 picks or so, especially at positions of need for the Jets. There are a lot of good CB prospects but I doubt we’d spend a high pick on one. 

If there did end up being a bidding war for the 4th pick I would have to imagine it highly favors the Jets. The Browns have plenty of 2nd-4th round picks, I’m sure they’d love to stay as high as possible with the amount of non-QB blue chip prospects at the top of the draft. They would only lose out on one player that they might potentially take at 4. 

4 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

From everything I’ve read and gathered, the talent level in this draft really falls off a cliff after the first 20 picks or so, especially at positions of need for the Jets. There are a lot of good CB prospects but I doubt we’d spend a high pick on one. 

If there did end up being a bidding war for the 4th pick I would have to imagine it highly favors the Jets. The Browns have plenty of 2nd-4th round picks, I’m sure they’d love to stay as high as possible with the amount of non-QB blue chip prospects at the top of the draft. They would only lose out on one player that they might potentially take at 4. 

I agree 100%. Could be the same for the Colts as well. #6 still keeps them in range for all the other top prospects they could aim for. 

29 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I agree, but if Macc is high on them like he was on the other prospects he tried to trade up for, pay up. If he paid more, Wentz could of been ours. He can't afford to think like that this time. I like Darnold, but I'm not high on him. If Macc trade for him and he's a hit, I'll be sitting at home with a Darnold jersey as if I loved him my whole life. 

Why can’t he afford to think like that this time? He’s shown he’s a BPA guy, likes to build through the draft and that he will stick to his board. He didn’t value Wentz enough to outbid Philly. It will be no different this draft. He will have his rankings and he will not overpay for a prospect in his eyes.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I don't like the idea of trading up either, But Rosen is a blue chip QB, he is better than Goff you will see. He look great at the combines. He has all the tools great arm, size,& smarts. It is really a mute point he will be long gone by the time we pick. Some of the other QB in the draft could end up as good NFL QB also, I would not be so quick to put these guys down.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Why can’t he afford to think like that this time? He’s shown he’s a BPA guy, likes to build through the draft and that he will stick to his board. He didn’t value Wentz enough to outbid Philly. It will be no different this draft. He will have his rankings and he will not overpay for a prospect in his eyes.

Just another reason why he shouldn't be cheap again. Throwing in those extra picks seem to have worked out while we're in this situation. He just resigned a 40yr old QB coming off injury and we're all praying to the football Gods that TB can not only recover but be better than he was with a 1 yr contract. If they both fail and we're further away from a good pick without any additional picks to trade up with like this season, they're screwed. They're contract is only 2 years. Then you're going to have to give up way more than we would now. 

Rumors say that he has basically tried to trade up every year. He tried for Wentz, Tunsil, and I can't remember the other. He's tried before, but just came up short. So the idea of him trading up for one of the top QBs is legit and makes sense. He's literally zeroing in on the QBs we've been talking about. This is the year for him to shoot his shot and pay up what you need. 

DYdJhZUW0AAgM-h.jpg:largeDYQ0UxmVwAAY6wT.jpg:large

With Wentz that’s hindsight. Of course it looks now like we should have gave up whatever for him. My point is that Wentz was a better prospect IMO than any of these guys, and he still didn’t want to give up a certain amount to move up to get him. So imo it won’t be a pay whatever to move up type situation. More than likely his job is safe. Especially if he drafts a QB staying out at 6. This shows he tried something young with. Bridgewater and has a promising young guy as well. Can’t see him getting fired. Therfor I don’t see him giving up valuable picks to move up. We aren’t a team with 1 joke. We have several. And picks are a premium. Especially for Macc. 

Archived