Ownership directed Front Office attend all QB prospects' games in 2017

jetskid007

Just now, jetskid007 said:

Just some interesting draft statistics to keep an eye out for... 

• There has never been 4 QBs drafted within the top 6 picks in NFL Draft history. 
  • The last and only time 4 QBs were drafted within the top 10 picks was in 1959. 
  • 3 QBs drafted in the top 6 picks has happened 5 times: 1999, 1971, 1959, 1954, and 1948. 
  • 3 QBs drafted in the top 10 picks has happened 10 times, most recently in 2011 and 2012. 

Ya i keep pointing this out.  This would be historic for all 4 guys to be gone by the time we pick.  And really it is 5 guys if you throw in Jackson.  I am not sure if we are really planning to trade up.  It feels like we have all 5 guys close together in our evaluations and are willing to stay put and take whichever one falls.  If they actually don't have a big gap between the guys then I would love to stay where we are.

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

• There has never been 4 QBs drafted within the top 6 picks in NFL Draft history. 
  • The last and only time 4 QBs were drafted within the top 10 picks was in 1959. 
  • 3 QBs drafted in the top 6 picks has happened 5 times: 1999, 1971, 1959, 1954, and 1948. 
  • 3 QBs drafted in the top 10 picks has happened 10 times, most recently in 2011 and 2012. 

This is why part of me wants to sit at 6 and take whoever falls but when Buffalo is actively looking to move up of it only costs us a pick or two to block their pick while securing our guy that is worth it to me. At the very least I want us to drive up the price for them to move in front of us. I'd like us to have a decision at QB and not be stuck with the leftovers. I don't think it is worth gambling on.

2 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

This is why part of me wants to sit at 6 and take whoever falls but when Buffalo is actively looking to move up of it only costs us a pick or two to block their pick while securing our guy that is worth it to me. At the very least I want us to drive up the price for them to move in front of us. I'd like us to have a decision at QB and not be stuck with the leftovers. I don't think it is worth gambling on.

That pick or two are 1st and 2nd round picks... the lifeblood of a football franchise is its draft picks.  

Lets not downplay the importance of having picks. Longer memories will look back to the tanny era where we constantly traded up and never had draft picks. 

22 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

That pick or two are 1st and 2nd round picks... the lifeblood of a football franchise is its draft picks.  

Lets not downplay the importance of having picks. Longer memories will look back to the tanny era where we constantly traded up and never had draft picks. 

How's PHI doing after trading up for Wentz?  How about LA you think they regret it?  QB is the most important position in sports, you need one and right now we don't have one.  If you trade up you better hit though (there is pressure with that) but if you do hit on the QB then you can easily recover from a trade up.

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

Ya but has a team ever drafted 9 staight defensive players in Round 1? Oh wait that’s us, we have. And that streak is still active. So so bad.

10 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

How's PHI doing after trading up for Wentz?  How about LA you think they regret it?  QB is the most important position in sports, you need one and right now we don't have one.  If you trade up you better hit though (there is pressure with that) but if you do hit on the QB then you can easily recover from a trade up.

How many QB's are available this year, though? 

Again, we pick sixth...there are 4 QB's everybody wants. WORST case scenario they are all gone by six and we get, ahem, STUCK with either Saquon Barkley or Quentin Nelson. In other words, we sit at six and we should wind up with either a QB of the future or the best player in this draft. 

AND, Lamar Jackson is still around later in the draft if we want to try to move up to get him . Or maybe he even falls to us in Round 2.

Stay put, Macc. Stay put.You are in good position, there is no need to panic.

16 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

And that’s where I disagree. Your logic in theory is spot on. And I’d normally say by all means trade up. But that’s thinking that there’s a Goff or Wentz in this draft. I see all 5 QBs significantly behind both of those guys. So where is nronally be all for a trade up for a Qab it depends on the class. I felt the same about last years class. I didn’t think Trubisky was worth a move up. And I don’t think any of these guys are with a trade up. 1 will be there at 6. That’s nearly guaranteed. Will it be the guy this guy or that guy as fans want? Maybe not. But 1 will be there. And with how close all the rankings are... I don’t see a need to give up the future for a guy that could be worse than the guy we could have got if we stayed put. It’s also likely that whoever we draft doesn’t play at all or barely plays at all this season. Meaning that it shouldn’t be a we need to move mountains draft to get a QB decision. I 100% think QB needs to be addressed and addressed in Round 1. Just not in a trade up.

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

What, philly won the superbowl cause of that trade? 

Both philly and st louis were in better position roster wise than we are. Both those teams had stockpiles young guys for years... weve stockpiled guys for 1 season. 

Both st louis and the eagles had stellar pass rushes and running games.  There may well be a point in the jets future where trading up makes a ton of sense, i just dont see it this year, to many holes to fill. We still need a starting TE, a pass rusher, at least 1 wr, a DE/DT and a slot corner... and thats not depth,  we legit have no real starters (i dont count enunwa as a starting calibur wr at this point.) At those positions. These are positions you can draft in the 2nd round that we cant draft if we trade up. 

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I see in no way possible that Barkley isn't drafted in the top 2. That's just my opinion. I also grade these QBs so close together that I see absolutely no reason to trade up or one. Can any of you sit here and 100% tell me that Darnold will be better than Rosen, Mayfield and Allen? That Rosen will be better than Darnold, Mayfield and Allen? That's Mayfield will be better than Darnold, Rosen and Allen? That's Allen will be better than Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield? There's a reason why so many people have the QB rankings so different its bc of obviously personal choice and the main fact that none of them are THAT much better or worse than the other. They each have pros and cons. So therefor I see no reason to trade several valuable assets to get a guy, when in fact the QB we could get at 6 could be better than the traded up guy all along.

I agree that Barkley should go 1 or 2 but I don't know that he will.

My personal opinion is that Darnold and Allen will be the best QBs from this class 3 years from now.  I am concerned with Rosen's leadership or lack there of, Mayfield's height and Jackson's accuracy.

I think Allen goes to the Browns.  Rosen or Barkley to the Giants and we need to get to 3 to grab Darnold. 

3 hours ago, KodiakThunder said:

Tanny constantly gave up picks. Given the terrible drafting history this past decade I'd gladly give up 2 to land a QB we should have for 15 years

Macc values picks and building through the draft. I cant see him trading up for a QB this year. And if he did he'd have to LOVE the guy sitting there at 3 in order to outbid Buffalo to get him. I just feel its far fetched to see us trade up this year given the prospects and all.

Rosen is really starting to separate himself in my rankings. I think its ridiculous to say he isn’t in the same class of prospect as Goff or Wentz. His arm talent is special.

You know who fell in the draft because he was deemed to be too arrogant and cocky? Aaron Rodgers. Mike Nolan has literally came out and said they took Alex Smith over A-Rod in part because Smith was a “pleaser”. Go listen to Josh Rosen in interviews and press conferences, he’s no different or worse than than Aaron Rodgers. He has been a phenom since he was 15, of course he’s cocky. Seems like a guy who wouldn’t crumble when things go to crap.

My gut is that the Browns take Darnold at 1, the Giants stay put and take Barkley, and the Bills trade up to 3 for Josh Allen (hopefully). My big concern is that Elway falls in love with Rosen and takes him at 5. Which is why I’d certainly be okay with Macc trying to trade up to 4 to jump Denver if he feels they are a threat to take him. Don’t think it would cost nearly as much either, considering it would be like dropping only one pick for the Browns if they’ve already taken a QB and know we’re trading up to take one. At least two of Chubb/Barkley/Nelson/Fitz would fall to 6 in that scenario. Moving up to 4 hedges against not only Denver taking Rosen but another team trading up to 5 to steal him from us. I’d give up the 37th pick to secure Rosen in a heart beat. 

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Macc values picks and building through the draft. I cant see him trading up for a QB this year. And if he did he'd have to LOVE the guy sitting there at 3 in order to outbid Buffalo to get him. I just feel its far fetched to see us trade up this year given the prospects and all.

Me too, I think that's why he signed both McCown and Bridgewater. If the guy he wants is there at 6 he'll likely take him but if not he's 1. Not forcing the pick especially at 6 and 2. Trading up something ridiculous to outbid Buffalo who is strapped with picks.

I'm also not 100% on the QB at 6 by any means train. I want the right guy and hell he could be in our building but if we pick a QB at 6 regardless then he's the focus the next 4 years no matter what Teddy or Hack or whoever else is at QB does. If he sucks then we're in a tough spot because this was such a valuable pick with potential studs in Chubb, Nelson, Edmunds all likely available there AND we let a better option potentially walk away because 6 was our guy.

I've been talking to Vikings fans and they absolutely love Bridgewater, like 99% of them and everything I've seen so far is intriguing. I'd hate for him to find his game, be the guy we always wanted and then we gotta let him walk because we drafted a guy at 6 and he's not the answer. So if Macc picks someone at 6 he better be as sure as he can be that he's the future because everything will fall on that kids shoulders.

58 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

Rosen is really starting to separate himself in my rankings. I think its ridiculous to say he isn’t in the same class of prospect as Goff or Wentz. His arm talent is special.

You know who fell in the draft because he was deemed to be too arrogant and cocky? Aaron Rodgers. Mike Nolan has literally came out and said they took Alex Smith over A-Rod in part because Smith was a “pleaser”. Go listen to Josh Rosen in interviews and press conferences, he’s no different or worse than than Aaron Rodgers. He has been a phenom since he was 15, of course he’s cocky. Seems like a guy who wouldn’t crumble when things go to crap.

My gut is that the Browns take Darnold at 1, the Giants stay put and take Barkley, and the Bills trade up to 3 for Josh Allen (hopefully). My big concern is that Elway falls in love with Rosen and takes him at 5. Which is why I’d certainly be okay with Macc trying to trade up to 4 to jump Denver if he feels they are a threat to take him. Don’t think it would cost nearly as much either, considering it would be like dropping only one pick for the Browns if they’ve already taken a QB and know we’re trading up to take one. At least two of Chubb/Barkley/Nelson/Fitz would fall to 6 in that scenario. Moving up to 4 hedges against not only Denver taking Rosen but another team trading up to 5 to steal him from us. I’d give up the 37th pick to secure Rosen in a heart beat. 

I actually like that comparison from a draft standpoint in Rodgers. I don’t think I’d compare Rosen to Rodgers from a talent perspective. Then again he’s a top QB. Risen is my favorite if the bunch bc I think he has the best NFL skill set. QBs lead in different ways and I don’t question his leadership. Injuries are my issue with him that’s it. That’s what prevents me from putting him in that Goff/Wentz type zone where I’d do anything to draft him.

Archived