Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
y2lamanaki

49ers WRs Battling for Roster Spots

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
THREAD EDIT:
 
Thread became more about the back end WRs rather than simply Ellington being cut. Works for me. 
 
 

Not really a surprise that it happened, but perhaps a surprise this early. 

Edited by y2lamanaki
Changed thread topic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are actually doing Ellington a favor by releasing him now. He wasn't going to make the team and this gives him a chance to get on another WR needy team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not shocking. Longshot to make the roster right from the start. IT's a shame, I really liked him coming out, and I remember being pretty happy when we drafted him. I think there's definitely NFL talent there, but he just can't stay healthy. 

I agree with J though - this is a bit of a classy move by them to cut him now when he has a shot to catch on with another team, learn the system during training camp and the offseason and have a legit shot at making that team's roster. I'm glad that we just made the decision. If he had no chance at making the team, why beat around the push. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot he was even on the team. Good luck to him wherever he goes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think with how well Trent Taylor has been performing in practices, it made this a really easy move. If he had struggled early, there may have been more reason to keep Ellington around longer as the backup to Kerley. Either way, it was only a matter of time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When they signed Robinson and drafted Taylor, it kind of felt like this move would come eventually. He probably only lasted this long just to see if Taylor could carry over his performance in OTAs to TC, which he definitely has. I was REALLY high on Ellington when he was drafted. Kid could just never stay healthy long enough to prove his worth.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

When they signed Robinson and drafted Taylor, it kind of felt like this move would come eventually. He probably only lasted this long just to see if Taylor could carry over his performance in OTAs to TC, which he definitely has. I was REALLY high on Ellington when he was drafted. Kid could just never stay healthy long enough to prove his worth.  

I think we all were. I remember some of us were questioning if we would take him with one of our two late 2nd round picks, but most agreed finding him in the 4th was a steal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I think we all were. I remember some of us were questioning if we would take him with one of our two late 2nd round picks, but most agreed finding him in the 4th was a steal. 

You know, its funny because we blast Baalke for his terrible draft failures (and rightfully so), and while all of the picks he made may not have been ones I would have made at the time given others who were on the board, it's not like I "hated" everyone he drafted. 

Ellington and Patton were both guys I Really liked as prospects. I was huge on Tank and thought he was a first round guy, so I was stoked getting him in the second (especially since we traded down). I liked Smelter even though I knew he was an IR guy. I liked Thomas as a player before the injury. Lattimore I felt was worth the risk. Hyde was my number one running back that year. I thought Harold was a fine pick, and I know that a lot of people liked Lemonier. There were only a couple of drafts where I really just didn't like what he did (2012 being the most obvious). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Forge said:

You know, its funny because we blast Baalke for his terrible draft failures (and rightfully so), and while all of the picks he made may not have been ones I would have made at the time given others who were on the board, it's not like I "hated" everyone he drafted. 

Ellington and Patton were both guys I Really liked as prospects. I was huge on Tank and thought he was a first round guy, so I was stoked getting him in the second (especially since we traded down). I liked Smelter even though I knew he was an IR guy. I liked Thomas as a player before the injury. Lattimore I felt was worth the risk. Hyde was my number one running back that year. I thought Harold was a fine pick, and I know that a lot of people liked Lemonier. There were only a couple of drafts where I really just didn't like what he did (2012 being the most obvious). 

I have to agree with this, but the problem with Baalke wasn't necessarily who he drafted. It was always who he drafted when and with who else still on the board. Overdrafting guys like Tartt/Smelter/Garnett, and taking way too many "chance" picks. In 2013/2014, he could be forgiven for drafting an IR guy or two, and taking a chance on raw prospects. Once the team's depth was depleted, there was no need to take guys like Tartt in the 2nd, Blake Bell in the 4th, Smelter...etc. Then in 2016, it's shaping up to be a relatively strong class (for him), but he again went for IR guys (Redmond) and raw prospects (Cooper). He had no clue how to operate a board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ellington will always be one of those guys in my mind who had their career shaped by injuries. I think he could have been a solid jeremy kerley type guy for us if he never got injured. Too bad.

I think Aldrick Robinson might be another guy we see cut. Garçon, Goodwin, Taylor, Kerley are locks then Smelter, Bolden, Carter and Murphy might get the last one or two spots with a good preseason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Ellington will always be one of those guys in my mind who had their career shaped by injuries. I think he could have been a solid jeremy kerley type guy for us if he never got injured. Too bad.

I think Aldrick Robinson might be another guy we see cut. Garçon, Goodwin, Taylor, Kerley are locks then Smelter, Bolden, Carter and Murphy might get the last one or two spots with a good preseason. 

I'd be floored if Robinson was cut. I feel like he's a definite. I think he's safer than Kerlety, tbh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Ellington will always be one of those guys in my mind who had their career shaped by injuries. I think he could have been a solid jeremy kerley type guy for us if he never got injured. Too bad.

I think Aldrick Robinson might be another guy we see cut. Garçon, Goodwin, Taylor, Kerley are locks then Smelter, Bolden, Carter and Murphy might get the last one or two spots with a good preseason. 

I always felt that if he hadn't been injured and played for a more pass-happy team, like the Pats or the cards, Bruce would have been a low-level star.I don't mean 1000 yard seasons, but just one of those guys that you have to gameplan against from the slot. He never had a chance in our offenses, even without the injuries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Forge said:

I'd be floored if Robinson was cut. I feel like he's a definite. I think he's safer than Kerlety, tbh

What is his ceiling for this team? He'll turn 29 this season, I see him as a good #4 option. Now see him as the brian hoyer of receivers where he's like a bridge receiver, but if <25 year old guys show up in the preseason as capable #4 receivers with the potential to develop into more then why keep Robinson. Its also hard to imagine a receiving corp with only 1 guy over 5'10. Smelter could offer what Robinson cant, and Carter/Bolden could offer what Robinson can. We can afford to take these types of risks, we're a 4-6 win team. 

14 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I always felt that if he hadn't been injured and played for a more pass-happy team, like the Pats or the cards, Bruce would have been a low-level star.I don't mean 1000 yard seasons, but just one of those guys that you have to gameplan against from the slot. He never had a chance in our offenses, even without the injuries.

And yea he looked so good when he played and got the right opportunities. Harbaugh would have made this dude a focal point 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with you there 48 1/2. I find it difficult to think that our tallest WR will be Garçon heading into the season. I don't honestly think that'll have too much effect on which player is cut or not until you start factoring in where he'll be the on the depth chart. Again I think we are talking about the 5th maybe 4th WR on our team right now. So he's going to have to play special teams, possibly even return kicks. Robinson doesn't quite make the cut there either having a grand total of 2 kick returns ever in his career and 1 total tackle which probably came off an int while he was on offense. On top of all this Smelter seems to be raising his game and showing his value thus far into camp so his arrow is pointing up. Guys like Robinson and Kerley there is no more developing, or drastic change in play, we know what they are and on a good team with an established WR corps they are depth, that's it. In my mind there's really no need to keep either of them, I know we will more than likely keep one of them, but I'd be much more fond of the idea of keeping the young guys who are showing well and seeing if we can't stumble upon something good. Give me a WR group of Garçon, Goodwin, Taylor, Smelter and Bourne/Carter/Bolden and through in a move TE/Slot mismatch in Hikutini. All three of latter names could play special teams and offer possible return guys as well. I understand the need for a guy like Robinson and/or Kerley as depth and someone to show these kids the ropes and how to be a professional but I don't want to see these young guys chances at PT diminished because of an older, limited, known quantity in Robinson or Kerley. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

In a question of Kerley v Robinson, why is height even brought up? Isn't Kerley like 5'9? 

 

Edit- Unless you're talking cutting both as fureys is lol

Edited by Forge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×