BAZINGA! Sheldon is ours! (1 yr, $11 mil, p. 11)

vike daddy

5 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

Still can if Teddy hits his incentives. 

I hate to be the one to burst your bubble but it is probably someone tells you sooner than later after Teddy is starting. Incentives are not factored into the compensatory formula.

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

I hate to be the one to burst your bubble but it is probably someone tells you sooner than later after Teddy is starting. Incentives are not factored into the compensatory formula.

Interesting. 

8 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

Still can if Teddy hits his incentives. 

if his incentives are NLTBE, which they obviously will be since he played like two snaps last year, then they wouldn't count towards teddy's cap hit next season. would there be any compensation for that? 

my guess is that we don't get compensated for those incentives, but that's just my best guess.

4 minutes ago, whitehops said:

if his incentives are NLTBE, which they obviously will be since he played like two snaps last year, then they wouldn't count towards teddy's cap hit next season. would there be any compensation for that? 

my guess is that we don't get compensated for those incentives, but that's just my best guess.

My guess is you’d be absolutely right. 

Just now, whitehops said:

No need to guess. The evidence shows that incentives are not factored in. It doesn't matter if they are LTBE or NLTBE.

Not relevant right now, but to enrich you further: Workout bonuses do not count in the formula either.

Basically, if the Vikings wanted to preserve their third round comp pick the way to do it would have been to keep Richardson's APY, not counting workout bonuses or incentives, under $10M for the year. Give the man $1M in workout bonus, $1M in incentives, and $9M between signing bonus, roster bonus, and base salary for the year.

4 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Make it easier then that. What the max workout bonus & easy incentives. Ideally you push his base down to 7.5M or 5M to offset a 5th or 6th.

A contract close to the 4th range could still offset the 3rd

A contract in the 4th range will not offset a 3rd unless there are no qualifying contracts to offset in the 4th, 5th, 6th, or 7th round.

Game the system too blatantly and they'll change the rules. Eeeking it down to a 4th is enough as long as the team has at least one lower value qualifying contract that has not already been offset.

Best defense in the NFL just got better. We already were a scary D-Line, now we have a downright monster of a starting 4. Depth is needed, but I'm sure we'll see that through the draft along with hopefully some good development from our young D-ends and Jaleel. Our linebackers should be free to roam no problem now, and blitz packages should create some real havoc. This signing should be about it other than maybe some small depth deals and probably bringing back Forbath. Draft is going to be real interesting, O-line and D-line will/should still be a priority along with a shot at a CB and then we should be seeing developmental guys taken to possibly replace dudes we could have trouble retaining in the near future (Barr, Waynes, Kendricks, Hunter, Diggs). 

I can still see Min taking a 3 tech somewhere in the draft, i mean we lost two DT's and we have only backfilled one. 

My prediction is that Minnesota will go corner in round 1. If not then i could easily see an edge rusher. 2nd round seems like a sweet spot for oline this year. (Price, Ragnow, Hernandez, B. Smith, Daniels) I think every year interior guys slip when theyre expected to go earlier, really Nelson and Wynn could be the only interior 1st rounders imo. 

The interesting dynamic here is that Seattle was willing to offer Richardson a multi-year deal at $11 million annually. According to various reports, he decided on a one-year, $11 million contract from the Vikings.

As it relates to the Vikings, they add another key cog to a defense that ranked No. 1 in the NFL last season. Still only 27, Richardson remains one of the best pass-rushing interior defensive linemen in the game. He's recorded 19 sacks in five NFL seasons and has found a way to put consistent pressure on quarterbacks throughout his career.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/vincentfrank/2018/03/16/nfl-free-agency-minnesota-vikings-sign-sheldon-richardson/#43e04cab5b3d

Archived