All abouts the wideouts

Klomp

2 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Check out this full thread. (Click tweet) Love watching him.

Nah he's just a white guy from Mankato who only gets the hype he does because he's #oneofus. JAG!

Race aside, I was on that train. I thought he was always going to be a Chris Walsh fan favorite special teamer.

Couldn’t be happier to have been wrong about him. I’m proud to have his jersey hanging in my closet.

Here's some more gold from the start of 2016 training camp. I'll protect the identity, because that's not the intent of bringing these up:

So my hot take...If any combination of these guys lives up to their potential, our WR group could quickly go from being somewhat suspect to a major strength on this team. Although Adam Thielen is a fan favorite who continues to improve, his career production still indicates he has to earn his keep every year and he has the lowest upside in the group. Cordarrelle and Johnson have shown more earlier in there careers and are back to form. That combined with MoBo's upside squeezes Thielen out. He likely latches on elsewhere, hopefully not with an NFC north rival.

I'll end with this. vike daddy asked in April 2015 about Thielen's ceiling and if he already reached it. Here's a sampling of the responses:

Thielen is only 24. He still has another year or two to reach his ceiling as a football player. It's just a pretty limited ceiling... He's not a guy that will earn his way into a starting spot by beating out others but he could perform serviceable as a spot starter #2/#3 possession WR. There isn't much opportunity for him in MN to be more than a depth chart body and special teamer, though. He's got a solid role figured out and I think if we keep 6 WRs he should be the last man in. 

-------

Yes. I don't think he can offer much more than he already has. If we draft a WR top 5, I can hardly see him stick around. 

-----------

I think at best Thielen is a #4 receiver and ST ace. He'll have a job in the league for a long time, even if it's not always in Minnesota. 

--------

As for Thielen, hard to say because he's still very young and sometimes guys "get it" at a certain point and they become good players, other times they never really grasp "it"(whatever "it" is) or are limited by their physical ability... I don't think Thielen seems too limited ability wise, sure he'll never be a burner or huge redzone threat, but he could certainly be a productive #2/3 type of receiver if he ever really perfected his craft. Of course the odds are against him and most likely he will not amount to more than a special teamer with possibly 10-20 catches per season. 

----------

6 hours ago, Klomp said:

Oh yeah, in my search, I also came across one person who cited a blogger that said Thielen's job might be in jeopardy because we drafted MoBo. Oops!

Just imagine us cutting him for MoBo and him ending up a star on the Packers. Man I'm glad he's on our side!

16 hours ago, Klomp said:

Oh yeah, in my search, I also came across one person who cited a blogger that said Thielen's job might be in jeopardy because we drafted MoBo. Oops!

This is why I usually keep my mouth shut. When it really comes down to it I have no idea what I'm saying when I try to scout these players. Pretty sure that wasn't my quote but it sounds like something stupid I think about.

1 hour ago, TENINCH said:

This is why I usually keep my mouth shut. When it really comes down to it I have no idea what I'm saying when I try to scout these players. Pretty sure that wasn't my quote but it sounds like something stupid I think about.

Don't worry, it wasn't you!

6 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'm surprised Thielen didn't more time in the 2014 and 2015 offense. He looked good when he played.

What was the deal then? 

You mean his first two seasons as an undrafted player from a Division II school? It surprises you that he didn't play a lot?

Archived