Jets trade up to 3

BJets512

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think that’s a viewpoint if just people who want mayfield quite honestly. Bc for me as someone who doesn’t want him necessarily... I see us trading up to 3 as a sign that we don’t want him really. My viewpoint is why would have have given up 3 very quality picks for a guy that very well could have been there at 6 or that we maybe only had to trade up to 4 or 5 to get. I think we traded up to 3 for one of Allen, Rosen or Darnold. Knowing 1 would 100% be there. Mayfield has/had the best chance of falling to ya at 6 this whole process.

Ian is non-biased is the situation.  And if Allen goes 1 and Darnold 2, the likelihood of Mayfield making it to 6 would be slim to none.  There's also a chance that he'd go before Rosen.  Everyone has different views.  I think Mac didn't want to take the chance.

27 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Ian is non-biased is the situation.  And if Allen goes 1 and Darnold 2, the likelihood of Mayfield making it to 6 would be slim to none.  There's also a chance that he'd go before Rosen.  Everyone has different views.  I think Mac didn't want to take the chance.

I think Maccs main thought on trading up were that he liked 3 of the QBs and knew he'd get one at 3 obviously. That doesn't show us at all the cards on his rankings though. I guess we will find out in 17 days. And find out even more post draft.

Marcus MosherVerified account @Marcus_Mosher 3h3 hours ago

Just now on NFL Network, @MoveTheSticks said that "people that know people inside the Browns" fully expect Josh Allen to be the pick at No.1.

I've felt this would happen for a long time, and I think the fire is real. Albert Breer also changed his tune today, suggesting he thinks it will be Allen... the thought is that Dorsey is a strong Allen guy, but the main reason why he didn't last in KC was because he was kind of tone deaf to the rest of the front office when it came to making decisions. If there are enough people who agree with him that Allen is their guy, he'll take him. If that does happen, Darnold is likely going #2, leaving Rosen/Mayfield for #3. 

2 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I've felt this would happen for a long time, and I think the fire is real. Albert Breer also changed his tune today, suggesting he thinks it will be Allen... the thought is that Dorsey is a strong Allen guy, but the main reason why he didn't last in KC was because he was kind of tone deaf to the rest of the front office when it came to making decisions. If there are enough people who agree with him that Allen is their guy, he'll take him. If that does happen, Darnold is likely going #2, leaving Rosen/Mayfield for #3. 

Ya it really seems like no matter what happens at 1 and 2 all roads lead to Mayfield/Rosen, which I have resigned myself to be happy either way.

12 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Ya it really seems like no matter what happens at 1 and 2 all roads lead to Mayfield/Rosen, which I have resigned myself to be happy either way.

Kinda where I'm at too. While I prefer Rosen for sure over Mayfield. I'll be happy with either. But I do see the draft falling that way.

31 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I'd be tickled pink for either one of these guys. I think Rosen should be the pick but I firmly believe the NFL sways outcomes in their favor within reason, after all they are ultimately in the entertainment business. How's this for a tin foil hat theory:

Browns are perfectly happy with either Allen or Darnold. They saw the success Big Ben had and still have bitter feelings about passing on him. They also realize that the Giants want Darnold. They already know the Jets are taking a QB so if they can get the #2 pick to be a QB then that means Barkley is theirs for the taking at #4. While that is enticing enough the NFL will want both NY teams to get their future signal callers in this draft because they will be linked together for their entire careers.

Darnold to the Giants and Mayfield to the Jets seems like the perfect media hype storm. Both fit with the personalities of the teams as they are currently constructed. Rosen falls to the Broncos at #5 where Elway is sitting, the NFL can't risk Elway pooping the bed on another QB prospect. Rosen is the safest option in the draft from a production standpoint. 

End Result = NFL Ratings up

That said you can absolutely say Rosen fits the liberal NY media while Baker can sit and learn behind Keenum for a year. You can also say two Southern California QBs who's dads work in the same hospital now share a stadium.

Ok, I hadn't really watched any Darnold games in depth for a while  since I was convinced he wouldn't be an option for us, but with all the rumors flying around I went back and watched 3 games.  

I gotta say....... meh.  I was a huge Darnold fanboy coming into this season, and i probably found a lot of excuses for his so so play at the beginning of the year, but after spending tons of time watching mostly Rosen and Mayfield, Darnold has lost some of his shine.  

First the good.  He has great pocket awareness, and does uncork some really great throws from time to time.  He also makes some really unorthodox throws that work for him more than they seem like they should.  Even though he has a bigger wind up he seems to get the ball out really quickly.  

Now the rest.  Man this dude threw a TON of screens.  Also his footwork is atrocious.  It is honestly not really that much better than Allen's, I just think he has a bit more natural accuracy and touch so he gets away with it more often, but it still backfires on him a ton.  He makes the least NFL level throws of any of these guys.  And when he does attempt them it seems like they rarely work.  Don't get me wrong when they do work they are spectacular, i just think is percentage on those throws working is lower.  Also I am not sure how well he sees the field.  He often runs around like a mad man only to then hit a guy who has no one within 10 yards of them and seem to be standing there open.  Obviously without the all 22 I can't see how long they were open, but it really seemed to happen a ton.  He makes the most boneheaded throws of any of these guys, which is reflected by him having the most INT's.  In his defense some of those picks were the result of his WR's letting him down, but many were him sailing the ball Mark Sanchez style to the deep S.  Lastly, if this guy is gonna buy time in the pocket this often he needs to learn how to put a 2nd hand on the ball.  Can't be running around like that when you have little boy hands.  If he had Allen's mitts, fine give it a whirl but he doesn't, which is why he lead all of these guys in fumbles by a mile.

Now that I am not longer under the Darnold fanboy spell.  Watching him after spending time watching Rosen and Mayfield my QB ratings are as follows

1. Rosen/Mayfield

2.Darnold

3. Lamar (if we are going to develop someone, might as well be a superfreak)

4. Allen

An "NFL talent evaluator" told NJ Advance Media's Matt Lombardo the Giants will select USC QB Sam Darnold if he is available at No. 2 overall.

This has been the buzz for several weeks. Unfortunately for the Giants, the Browns are also reportedly smitten with Darnold, meaning they need a Plan B. According to Lombardo's source, that plan does not involve a different quarterback. "Their top three choices are Darnold, [Penn State RB] Saquon Barkley, and [NC State EDGE] Bradley Chubb," the evaluator said. "They are debating Barkley vs. Chubb because they need an edge rusher but the scouts love Barkley." Both Barkley and Chubb have visited the Giants in the last week.

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

An "NFL talent evaluator" told NJ Advance Media's Matt Lombardo the Giants will select USC QB Sam Darnold if he is available at No. 2 overall.

This has been the buzz for several weeks. Unfortunately for the Giants, the Browns are also reportedly smitten with Darnold, meaning they need a Plan B. According to Lombardo's source, that plan does not involve a different quarterback. "Their top three choices are Darnold, [Penn State RB] Saquon Barkley, and [NC State EDGE] Bradley Chubb," the evaluator said. "They are debating Barkley vs. Chubb because they need an edge rusher but the scouts love Barkley." Both Barkley and Chubb have visited the Giants in the last week.

So if Darnold goes 1 and NYG cant trade away 2 then we will have our choice between Allen, Rosen or Mayfield. I still rank them for us...

1. Rosen: I think he’s the best in the class.

2. Mayfield: I’ve been vocal how I’m not pro his cockiness and style of play. But I’d take him on this team, being we need a QB so bad.

3. Allen: biggest ceiling but also lowest floor. Don’t think we are a team that can take that risk. We NEED a franchise QB, we can’t make a risky pick (hence why I like Rosen).

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Kinda where I'm at too. While I prefer Rosen for sure over Mayfield. I'll be happy with either. But I do see the draft falling that way.

It sure seems like that is the way the first three picks in the draft will go. I also like Rosen the best but I also will be happy with any one of the three QB's. I guess at this point it doesn't make a difference what the Giants do, with the # 3 pick. I am still a little concern about the offensive, there are still question marks with some of the players. The running game should be fine, maybe someone on the roster will step up and help the receivers.

This move by Mac to move up to the  # 3  could be one of the biggest move in Jet history if we get the  player Mac wants. The last great move by the Jets was in 1965 & 1966, when we picked Joe Namath in 1965 & Carl Mc Adams in 1966, both these players were first round St Louis Cards  picks. In that period of time the NFL & AFL were separate leagues. We both picked the same players two years in a row and we out bid them two years in a row. Lets hope we have the same success. 

8 hours ago, rampantjet said:

Ok, I hadn't really watched any Darnold games in depth for a while  since I was convinced he wouldn't be an option for us, but with all the rumors flying around I went back and watched 3 games.  

I gotta say....... meh.  I was a huge Darnold fanboy coming into this season, and i probably found a lot of excuses for his so so play at the beginning of the year, but after spending tons of time watching mostly Rosen and Mayfield, Darnold has lost some of his shine.  

First the good.  He has great pocket awareness, and does uncork some really great throws from time to time.  He also makes some really unorthodox throws that work for him more than they seem like they should.  Even though he has a bigger wind up he seems to get the ball out really quickly.  

Now the rest.  Man this dude threw a TON of screens.  Also his footwork is atrocious.  It is honestly not really that much better than Allen's, I just think he has a bit more natural accuracy and touch so he gets away with it more often, but it still backfires on him a ton.  He makes the least NFL level throws of any of these guys.  And when he does attempt them it seems like they rarely work.  Don't get me wrong when they do work they are spectacular, i just think is percentage on those throws working is lower.  Also I am not sure how well he sees the field.  He often runs around like a mad man only to then hit a guy who has no one within 10 yards of them and seem to be standing there open.  Obviously without the all 22 I can't see how long they were open, but it really seemed to happen a ton.  He makes the most boneheaded throws of any of these guys, which is reflected by him having the most INT's.  In his defense some of those picks were the result of his WR's letting him down, but many were him sailing the ball Mark Sanchez style to the deep S.  Lastly, if this guy is gonna buy time in the pocket this often he needs to learn how to put a 2nd hand on the ball.  Can't be running around like that when you have little boy hands.  If he had Allen's mitts, fine give it a whirl but he doesn't, which is why he lead all of these guys in fumbles by a mile.

Now that I am not longer under the Darnold fanboy spell.  Watching him after spending time watching Rosen and Mayfield my QB ratings are as follows

1. Rosen/Mayfield

2.Darnold

3. Lamar (if we are going to develop someone, might as well be a superfreak)

4. Allen

I have the same view of Darnold. I  watched him a few weeks ago after watching Allen and I don't see why he is the clear cut number 1 guy in the media. He has some of the same positives as Allen with the escapability magic. He throws with anticipation which Allen does not. But he has fumbling issues.  Both can make bad decisions. Allen has a bigger arm which helps him when he doesn't throw properly. Darnold doesn't have a big arm to bail him out. As you noted, his footwork is bad. He sometimes throws the ball with his feet parallel. Those two guys are pretty close in my book. The only reason why I hesitate to put Allen ahead of him is because everyone keeps saying he is cant miss. And I'm no scout. So I'll defer to the experts. But I have my doubts.

21 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I have the same view of Darnold. I  watched him a few weeks ago after watching Allen and I don't see why he is the clear cut number 1 guy in the media. He has some of the same positives as Allen with the escapability magic. He throws with anticipation which Allen does not. But he has fumbling issues.  Both can make bad decisions. Allen has a bigger arm which helps him when he doesn't throw properly. Darnold doesn't have a big arm to bail him out. As you noted, his footwork is bad. He sometimes throws the ball with his feet parallel. Those two guys are pretty close in my book. The only reason why I hesitate to put Allen ahead of him is because everyone keeps saying he is cant miss. And I'm no scout. So I'll defer to the experts. But I have my doubts.

I think the main reason Darnold is #1 is bc he carries the least amount of question marks. The only knock on him was his turnovers the 1st 1/2 of last year. And I believe most staffs think they can fix that. Where as all the others have issues that might not be fixable. Like size, cockiness, injury and accuracy issues.

10 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I think that’s a viewpoint if just people who want mayfield quite honestly. Bc for me as someone who doesn’t want him necessarily... I see us trading up to 3 as a sign that we don’t want him really. My viewpoint is why would have have given up 3 very quality picks for a guy that very well could have been there at 6 or that we maybe only had to trade up to 4 or 5 to get. I think we traded up to 3 for one of Allen, Rosen or Darnold. Knowing 1 would 100% be there. Mayfield has/had the best chance of falling to ya at 6 this whole process.

Except there's no guarantee that Mayfield would have made it that far.  We've heard Denver at points has been "obsessed" with Mayfield, so there was no guarantee that he'd make it to 6.  I tend to agree with Rap's line of thinking that you don't make that kind of move unless you feel comfortable with whose likely to be available.  We pretty much know that Darnold isn't getting past the Giants at 2, so you can cross him off the list.  In a "worst case" scenario for the Jets, another QB is taken in the top 2 picks.  Do they like Josh Allen/Josh Rosen/Baker Mayfield enough to make that move?  My guess is yes.

Archived