Jets trade up to 3

BJets512

Just now, barnaby8787 said:

One common myth about Mayfield is that he didn't throw from the pocket in college.  He threw plenty out of the pocket.  With that said, if we do end up with him, Bates has to be creative to create lanes for him similar to what the Seahawks does for Wilson.  

Mayfield is my guy even over Rosen.  Mayfield's biggest issue isn't height or throwing windows as you said he's really accurate from anywhere and was superior to all other QB's especially on the NFL type throws.  Sure his comp % is inflated because of the offense but when they broke down his throws in NFL routes only he was still superior to everyone both there and under pressure.  Add to the fact that his accuracy is tops in the class as well and you have a guy with the four most important boxes checked.  Accuracy, NFL arm, handles pressure well and is a team leader.  Those things translate.

Rosen yes checks a lot of boxes as well.  Accurate yes, pressure is ok at it, NFL arm yes, team leader meh not so much.  His injury history is a big red flag maybe even more so then his 2" height difference on Mayfield.

The biggest Mayfield concern is his holding the ball looking for the big play.  Bates is going to have to break him out of that gun slinger/big play mentality.  If he plays within the offense and takes the easier throws more consistently his accuracy plays perfectly into the West Coast offense.  

51 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

One common myth about Mayfield is that he didn't throw from the pocket in college.  He threw plenty out of the pocket.  With that said, if we do end up with him, Bates has to be creative to create lanes for him similar to what the Seahawks does for Wilson.  

I’m by no means saying he can’t throw from the pocket. But fact is that a decent amount of his production was from outside the pocket. Which won’t be as easy at the next level. Where as a guy like Rosen’s game transfers over better to the nfl from the pocket.

12 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’m by no means saying he can’t throw from the pocket. But fact is that a decent amount of his production was from outside the pocket. Which won’t be as easy at the next level. Where as a guy like Rosen’s game transfers over better to the nfl from the pocket.

Won't argue that.  One thing of note, for the offense, Mayfield is the slightly better fit, but you draft the player and make the scheme work.

2 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

A couple of us have been saying this for months

Baker is the best QB in this draft and the best team in the league knows it

:)

Baker fits the mold of what Bill likes in a QB.  Just needs someone smart and accurate. 

6 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

A couple of us have been saying this for months

Baker is the best QB in this draft and the best team in the league knows it

:)

Man they would have to give up soooooo many picks to get to #2.  They have some ammo but i doubt the Giants want to move ALL the way back to 23, since Gettleman by his own admission prefers 1 blue chip player over several 2nd tier players. so probably 23, 31, both 2nd rounders and and next years 1st isn't even worth the #2 on the trade value chart, and we all know that you have to go way above and beyond on the chart for a QB.  That would be the least Pat's move ever.

24 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Baker fits the mold of what Bill likes in a QB.  Just needs someone smart and accurate. 

That would be a nightmare for me. I've settled on Baker as the top QB in this class followed very tightly by Rosen. If New England gets either one of those guys, I may lose it. I guess we have to be prepared that the Pats will get a good QB in this draft. If they stay put, they'll get a guy like Lauletta or Falk. Those two guys have a lot promise as well. Arm strength being their major flaw. But they have everything else you would want in a pro QB. Maybe Falk can do a better job moving around.

Let's just hope our guy is better than whoever the Pats and Bills get.

1 minute ago, SDotNova said:

That would be a nightmare for me. I've settled on Baker as the top QB in this class followed very tightly by Rosen. If New England gets either one of those guys, I may lose it. I guess we have to be prepared that the Pats will get a good QB in this draft. If they stay put, they'll get a guy like Lauletta or Falk. Those two guys have a lot promise as well. Arm strength being their major flaw. But they have everything else you would want in a pro QB. Maybe Falk can do a better job moving around.

Rosen would be beyond ideal for Bill and haunt us for years.  

5 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Man they would have to give up soooooo many picks to get to #2.  They have some ammo but i doubt the Giants want to move ALL the way back to 23, since Gettleman by his own admission prefers 1 blue chip player over several 2nd tier players. so probably 23, 31, both 2nd rounders and and next years 1st isn't even worth the #2 on the trade value chart, and we all know that you have to go way above and beyond on the chart for a QB.  That would be the least Pat's move ever.

Not if Baker falls. There's a chance Baker will be there in the 7-10 range.

Supposedly the Bills like Allen and Rosen. So, if they jump up, it would be for one of them. 

Say Darnold and Barkley go 1,2. Jets go Rosen. Denver or Bills trade up for Allen. That means Baker is there in the 7-10 range. It'll be a much easier trade to get there.

Edit: I don't think the 4 guys drop. But there's a chance. Even if it is a small chance. That's why I'm happy we traded up. Because those guys are likely not going to be there by the 6 pick. But you never know.

Per Eric Galko from Optimum Scouting, a lot of people in the scouting community do not like Allen. That's odd to hear giving what we hear in the press. I would have thought the exact opposite was the case. Supposedly, teams that like Allen are teams that have a heavy influence from coaches. 

Kind of surprising to hear this news. 

By the way Eric Galko has Darnold in a class by himself in this draft class. Then he has Baker followed closely by Rosen. After that I don't recall the exact players but Lauletta was 4th and Allen was 8th. This is just the opinion of one scouting consultant. But he has received similar feedback on Allen from other scouts he has talked to.

The one thing I found interesting is that he has Darnold head and shoulders above the other QB's.

26 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Per Eric Galko from Optimum Scouting, a lot of people in the scouting community do not like Allen. That's odd to hear giving what we here in the press. I would have thought the exact opposite was the case. Supposedly, teams that like Allen are teams that have a heavy influence from coaches. 

Kind of surprising to hear this news. 

It does not surprise me at all. I have not heard enough about the positives for Josh Allen.  Granted, it is really hard to track a certain scout in the scouting community, public's standpoint wise.  Local, Regional, Positional,  etc.  Most of positive notes about Allen came from higher level of scouting or someone closer to team's GM.  It could be a ploy.  

Any positive about Allen is considered as a better qb than a bunch of 1st round busts. Does it warrant a top 5 for him? In my heart, it is flat out NO.  That is why I am holding my breath after Jets traded up to #3. Allen is not exactly one whom any team will trade up for.

16 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

By the way Eric Galko has Darnold in a class by himself in this draft class. Then he has Baker followed closely by Rosen. After that I don't recall the exact players but Lauletta was 4th and Allen was 8th. This is just the opinion of one scouting consultant. But he has received similar feedback on Allen from other scouts he has talked to.

The one thing I found interesting is that he has Darnold head and shoulders above the other QB's.

I get funny feeling that Kyle Lauletta will go to Patriots at #31. He is going to be a hot commodity for 2nd round. For this draft, 5th option is cheaper than franchising non 1st round qb.  Tom Brady's contract expires after 2019 at age of 42 so it would be a smarter business move to use the 1st round contract on qb.

Smokescreen, the Patriots want the Jets to take Mayfield over the other QBs. I have a feeling we end up with Mayfield and then Rosen goes to the Broncos. Rosen ends up with multiple pro bowls and a top 10 QB, while Mayfield ends up a bust. Like the Patriots ever let out their interest in a player. 

I see Johnny Manziel in Baker Mayfield. I see Matt Ryan in Josh Rosen. Josh Allen I see glimpses of Big Ben and Cam Newton, but not as accurate. Sam Darnold is like Andrew Luck. 

Archived