Johnthan Hankins visited redskins

Dashing202

7 hours ago, SeanTayorsaPIMP said:

When was the last time a player left Redskins Park, visited another team and then came back to sign with us? Has that ever happened? I feel like we're just being used for leverage for another team to up the price tag, i.e. Wilkerson. Bruce Allen is playing us and the Free Agents are playing Allen. Us fans are left at the bottom of the barrel soaking in our own misery. That's where I'm at. 

I thought that happened with Zach Brown but I could be wrong.

Good lord, if anyone ever wants to know what it looks like to “choose to be miserable,” they could just read through this thread. We know the following things to be true:

• The Giants chose to let Hankins walk instead of signing him to a big contract
  • The Colts chose to cut Hankins a year into his (big FA splash) contract instead of paying him the remaining 2/$17M

• The Colts apparently shopped him in trade for “weeks” and not one of the other 31 teams bit (at any price) on him and that 2/$17M contract

• The Lions, in major need at the DT position, were scheduled to bring him in for a visit but have evidently decided to sign Sylvester Williams instead

• Waiting out a FA with an unrealistic view of the market paid off big for the Redskins literally last week, when they brought back Zack Brown on a very team-friendly contract

But evidently despite all these facts, the Redskins are unmitigated idiots executing a transparent swindle on their fans because they chose not to immediately lock up Hankins at whatever his initial asking price happened to be. 

Seems to me that you could easily choose to view this as the Redskins trying to get better and land a quality contributor at a position of need — but doing so responsibly, instead of negotiating against themselves right out of the box just to seal the deal quickly. As was their protocol during disastrous years you’d hope they (and we) might have learned from. 

But hey, if you want to choose to believe that it’s the Redskins’ fault no deal has been reached [despite having no idea of each side’s respective positions] and that they’re low-balling a young game-changer [despite the rest of the league choosing to pass on him at a fairly reasonable rate] because they’re being cheap [despite them already having the 3rd highest cash outlay in the league in 2018] — well, that’s your choice to make.

You can be a fan in whatever way you want, and you can be miserable about everything they do if you want. But you should probably recognize that in a situation like this at least, it is a choice. Because there’s just as much, and probably even more, evidence to suggest they’re handling it pretty well. 

43 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Good lord, if anyone ever wants to know what it looks like to “choose to be miserable,” they could just read through this thread. We know the following things to be true:

• The Colts chose to cut Hankins a year into his (big FA splash) contract instead of paying him the remaining 2/$17M

• The Colts apparently shopped him in trade for “weeks” and not one of the other 31 teams bit (at any price) on him and that 2/$17M contract

• The Lions, in major need at the DT position, were scheduled to bring him in for a visit but have evidently decided to sign Sylvester Williams instead

• Waiting out a FA with an unrealistic view of the market paid off big for the Redskins literally last week, when they brought back Zack Brown on a very team-friendly contract

But evidently despite all these facts, the Redskins are unmitigated idiots executing a transparent swindle on their fans because they chose not to immediately lock up Hankins at whatever his initial asking price happened to be. 

Seems to me that you could easily choose to view this as the Redskins trying to get better and land a quality contributor at a position of need — but doing so responsibly, instead of negotiating against themselves right out of the box just to seal the deal quickly. As was their protocol during disastrous years you’d hope they (and we) might have learned from. 

But hey, if you want to choose to believe that it’s the Redskins’ fault no deal has been reached [despite having no idea of each side’s respective positions] and that they’re low-balling a young game-changer [despite the rest of the league choosing to pass on him at a fairly reasonable rate] because they’re being cheap [despite them already having the 3rd highest cash outlay in the league in 2018] — well, that’s your choice to make.

You can be a fan in whatever way you want, and you can be miserable about everything they do if you want. But you should probably recognize that in a situation like this at least, it is a choice. Because there’s just as much, and probably even more, evidence to suggest they’re handling it pretty well. 

Holly Molly thank you E! Where have you been the last 5 years? I need my E back! Turtle & E like Entourage again!

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

I’m happy they aren’t throwing a ton of money at the guy, but a few rebuttals:

- the Giants didn’t retain him because he’s a better fit for a 3-4 defense.

- the Colts didn’t retain him because they’re switching to a 4-3 defense.

- Were talking about a 2 down run defender, so it doesn’t surprise me that no one was willing to trade for him.  It’s one thing to use up cap space on 2 down guy, it’s another thing to trade a draft pick AND use that cap space on him.

- the Lions appeared to want to sign multiple DTs so I think Hankins priced them out of signing him because of that.

- Hankins waited out FA and signed late last year, he still got a pretty good deal.

In general I agree with you that I’m happy they didn’t back up a truck of money for this guy.  But NT has arguably been the team biggest need for several years, and here’s a quality 25 year old one staring you in the face.  Just pull the trigger and get it done.

16 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

- Were talking about a 2 down run defender, so it doesn’t surprise me that no one was willing to trade for him.  It’s one thing to use up cap space on 2 down guy, it’s another thing to trade a draft pick AND use that cap space on him.

- the Lions appeared to want to sign multiple DTs so I think Hankins priced them out of signing him because of that.

- Hankins waited out FA and signed late last year, he still got a pretty good deal.

In general I agree with you that I’m happy they didn’t back up a truck of money for this guy.  But NT has arguably been the team biggest need for several years, and here’s a quality 25 year old one staring you in the face.  Just pull the trigger and get it done.

May I cross examine?

- Hankins is a versatile DL, he had 7 sacks one year in the giants 4-3 D before JPP blew 3 digits off. He can play 0, 1, 3 and 5 technique in a defense and did for both the Giants and Colts, just like Barry Cofield did before him in NY.

- He’s a good DL, but not worth elite $, just like Zach Brown wasn’t worth $10M a year to play ILB and the front office smartly waited him out.

14 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

And we have had one of the worst run defenses for like a decade now. I am not suggesting they pay him 9M a year but crap, 7M is not a bad haul for a guy that could help in your worst area on defense. 

23 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

latesy news that ive seen on hankins is that he visited detroit but they signed sylvester williams. They say that we are still in touch with him and want him, at least those signs are positive

Detroit also signed Ricky Jean Francois the same day, IIRC. 

Why they be stealin' all the DL? :( 

18 minutes ago, mike23md said:

And we have had one of the worst run defenses for like a decade now. I am not suggesting they pay him 9M a year but crap, 7M is not a bad haul for a guy that could help in your worst area on defense. 

well, Hankins is probably asking for 9 per.. and Washington is probably open to 7 per... but all the more important is the guaranteed totals being considered. 

Who knows for sure... :( 

15 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Detroit also signed Ricky Jean Francois the same day, IIRC. 

Why they be stealin' all the DL? :( 

Francois said that was "fake news " --no deal. 

D Poe signed for 3 years $28 mill, $10 mill signing bonus and $13 guaranteed. Rich contract. I'd guess that's the Ballpark we're looking at for Hankins. Maybe we should just draft D L round 1. 

CONTRACT TERMS:3 yr(s) / $28,000,000 SIGNING BONUS$10,000,000 AVERAGE SALARY$9,333,333 GTD AT SIGN:$10,800,000 TOTAL GTD:$13,300,000 FREE AGENT:2021 / UFA
  BONUS BREAKDOWN CAP DETAILS CASH DETAILS  
YEAR   AGE BASE SALARY SIGNING ROSTER WORKOUT CAP HIT DEAD CAP YEARLY CASH  
2018 Contract details by year 27 $800,000 $3,333,333 $600,000 $600,000 $5,333,333 $10,800,000 $12,000,000($12,000,000)  
2019 Contract details by year 28 $4,500,000 $3,333,333 $600,000 $900,000 $9,333,333 $6,666,667 $6,000,000($18,000,000)  
2020 Contract details by year 29 $6,000,000 $3,333,334 $3,100,000 $900,000 $13,333,334 $3,333,334 $10,000,000($28,000,000)  
2021 Free Agent Year 30 UFA  
Contract Notes:
  • $10.8M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2018 salary)
  • $2.5M of 2019 salary fully guarantees on the 3rd league day of 2019
  • Annual Per Game Active Bonus: $37,500 ($600,000)
  • 2018 Workout Bonus (4 weigh-ins): $600,000
  • 2019 Workout Bonus (4 weigh-ins): $900,000
  • 2020 Workout Bonus (4 weigh-ins): $900,000
  • 2020 Roster Bonus: $2.5M (due the 3rd league day of 2020)

That's a contract I could actually get behind, for Hankins... with some tweaks. Washington can definitely afford to bump up Hankins' overall 2018 cap hit while lessening the amount in the latter years. Roster bonuses adding fluff to year 2 and 3.. yeah man... looks like a lot, but it's not hard to cut free of, if he is disappointing. 

Now, if Hankins is demanding a Jurrell Casey or Kawaan Short contract, kick rocks. Rather draft DL in rd 1.

29 minutes ago, oldman9er said:
CONTRACT TERMS:3 yr(s) / $28,000,000 SIGNING BONUS$10,000,000 AVERAGE SALARY$9,333,333 GTD AT SIGN:$10,800,000 TOTAL GTD:$13,300,000 FREE AGENT:2021 / UFA
  BONUS BREAKDOWN CAP DETAILS CASH DETAILS  
YEAR   AGE BASE SALARY SIGNING ROSTER WORKOUT CAP HIT DEAD CAP YEARLY CASH  
2018 Contract details by year 27 $800,000 $3,333,333 $600,000 $600,000 $5,333,333 $10,800,000 $12,000,000($12,000,000)  
2019 Contract details by year 28 $4,500,000 $3,333,333 $600,000 $900,000 $9,333,333 $6,666,667 $6,000,000($18,000,000)  
2020 Contract details by year 29 $6,000,000 $3,333,334 $3,100,000 $900,000 $13,333,334 $3,333,334 $10,000,000($28,000,000)  
2021 Free Agent Year 30 UFA  
Contract Notes:
  • $10.8M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2018 salary)
  • $2.5M of 2019 salary fully guarantees on the 3rd league day of 2019
  • Annual Per Game Active Bonus: $37,500 ($600,000)
  • 2018 Workout Bonus (4 weigh-ins): $600,000
  • 2019 Workout Bonus (4 weigh-ins): $900,000
  • 2020 Workout Bonus (4 weigh-ins): $900,000
  • 2020 Roster Bonus: $2.5M (due the 3rd league day of 2020)

That's a contract I could actually get behind, for Hankins... with some tweaks. Washington can definitely afford to bump up Hankins' overall 2018 cap hit while lessening the amount in the latter years. Roster bonuses adding fluff to year 2 and 3.. yeah man... looks like a lot, but it's not hard to cut free of, if he is disappointing. 

Now, if Hankins is demanding a Jurrell Casey or Kawaan Short contract, kick rocks. Rather draft DL in rd 1.

Bumping up 2018's cap to save for future years doesn't really matter as any cap we don't spend this year we can rollover into 2019.  I would prefer to keep the cap for 2018 down if possible so as to be prepared for any surprises, like when Desean Jackson or Josh Norman suddenly came available.  

edit - I'm on board for giving him a similar contract to Poe though.

Thinking logically ? Only half the teams run the 3-4 so eliminates half of the teams maybe. Then you have to look at who needs D Linemen and who has Cap Space . ? This might only leave 2 or 3 teams that can sign him..Us being one of those teams so we don't want to bid against ourselves. I hope we get him..Like an additional 1st round player IMO .

3 hours ago, mike23md said:

I can dig $7M a year, let’s hope that no one team wants to pay him more, because I’m sure the Lions offered Sly more and that’s why he didn’t sign with us.

12 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Thinking logically ? Only half the teams run the 3-4 so eliminates half of the teams maybe. Then you have to look at who needs D Linemen and who has Cap Space . ? This might only leave 2 or 3 teams that can sign him..Us being one of those teams so we don't want to bid against ourselves. I hope we get him..Like an additional 1st round player IMO .

Hankins can play in either scheme.

Archived