Cody Latimer Signs with NYG. So what does this mean for our need at WR?

BaldyBronco

30 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Here I've got to disagree. Nelson is the 1st of his type. Quickness of a man 25lbs lighter, incredible recognition skills, strong as a bull, nasty disposition. He's a 20lb larger Scherff.

I've been paying attention to OL guys for decades now and have never seen anyone like him. Guards 2,3, 4 are not even close to his level. Also, I'm not sure Price wouldn't be a better pick than Hernandez.

Nothing helps an offense more IMO than outstanding interior line play. Controlling the interior LOS opens up all methods of attack. Add Nelson to Leary, Paradis/McGovern and you've got one of the best interiors in the NFL.

I’m still not fully on board with Nelson at 1.5.  I won’t be mad with the pick, but I still don’t like the value.

I think it’s entirely possible though that Denver could go with Chubb at 1.5, Crosby at 2.7, and a guy like Ragnow at 3.8.  

3 hours ago, paul-mac said:

I’m sorry but it’s 2018 not 1964 and this simply isn’t true. Look at the best offensive lines in football, Tennessee last year only very luckily snuck into the playoffs, Dallas the year before that were good but there were a lot of reasons why they were good. The Raiders in 2015 had a great OL but still just an okay football team.

Meanwhile the Seahawks have been the dominant force of the NFC this decade with a poor OL. The Panthers made a Super Bowl with Mike Remmers and Michael Oher. Heck our own Super Bowl winning team was hardly great with Donald Stephenson and Ty Sambrailo getting benched for Mike Schofield at Left Tackle whilst rookie Max Garcia was in a 3 man rotation at Guard with Evan Mathis and Louis Vasquez. Oh and remember who the Left Tackle was? Ryan Harris.

The point is that an offensive line is a bit like a condom. You don’t want it splitting, but as long as it does it’s job and doesn’t let you down then you don’t necessarily need the best brand. In the modern day NFL it’s the QB that makes the offense tick, and the OL are just there to keep him upright and open a few holes for the RB. You seem to be determined to overrate the importance of OL play in every single post you make. The truth is that Bolles-Leary-Paradis-McGovern-Watson is already an average NFL OL and would be verging on very good if it wasn’t for the porous play of Menelik Watson, who is very likely to be replaced. Max Garcia isn’t a starter in the nfl but he might be the best reserve G/C in football, and overall there are quite a few other positions that should be higher priority in the draft. 

Ahhh, I'd reply, a dominant OL has always been the cornerstone for a great offense. The Raiders had dominant FB's and RB's for over a decade. Van Eghen, Marv Hubbard, a long list of very average RB's being incredibly effective behind Art Shell, Gene Upshaw and Jim Otto. The best left side in the NFL for a decade,

You're wrong paul-mac, The game is won or lost in the trenches. Always has been and always will be. That's not just an old school thought bud, it's just the game itself. If you have brutal, large, fast men in the trenches you control the LOS. If you control the LOS you win most games, regardless of skill positions.

I guess the older you get the more simple the game becomes. Control the LOS on both sides of the ball and you're incredibly tough to beat.

7 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Ahhh, I'd reply, a dominant OL has always been the cornerstone for a great offense. The Raiders had dominant FB's and RB's for over a decade. Van Eghen, Marv Hubbard, a long list of very average RB's being incredibly effective behind Art Shell, Gene Upshaw and Jim Otto. The best left side in the NFL for a decade,

You're wrong paul-mac, The game is won or lost in the trenches. Always has been and always will be. That's not just an old school thought bud, it's just the game itself. If you have brutal, large, fast men in the trenches you control the LOS. If you control the LOS you win most games, regardless of skill positions.

I guess the older you get the more simple the game becomes. Control the LOS on both sides of the ball and you're incredibly tough to beat.

You're definitely not wrong AK. I do think the DL has become the more important of the two to build, though. Not saying OL shouldn't be discounted, because you clearly need to win the LOS, but with college offenses where they are today, it's increasingly difficult to build a fully competent OL. DL is a different story. It was our DL that won the day in SB 50. 

14 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

You're definitely not wrong AK. I do think the DL has become the more important of the two to build, though. Not saying OL shouldn't be discounted, because you clearly need to win the LOS, but with college offenses where they are today, it's increasingly difficult to build a fully competent OL. DL is a different story. It was our DL that won the day in SB 50. 

I still maintain that the reason Malik Jackson was poor his first year in Jacksonville was a back injury sustained by carrying Cam Newton around in his pocket all offseason ;) 

Seattle fans are dying for an offensive line. Using them as an example is disingenuous because Russel Wilson is one of the best movers in and out of the pocket ever. And that team missed the playoffs because they couldn't give him a pocket and he was dinged up all year. Among other things. 

Elite QB's can cover for meh OL's. Unfortunately we aren't and haven't been in that situation 

4 hours ago, champ11 said:

Seattle fans are dying for an offensive line. Using them as an example is disingenuous because Russel Wilson is one of the best movers in and out of the pocket ever. And that team missed the playoffs because they couldn't give him a pocket and he was dinged up all year. Among other things. 

Elite QB's can cover for meh OL's. Unfortunately we aren't and haven't been in that situation 

That's only true to a point. Once they face really good D's, playoff caliber, that goes away. Probably why PFM was the king of "One and dones" in the playoffs.

16 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

That's only true to a point. Once they face really good D's, playoff caliber, that goes away. Probably why PFM was the king of "One and dones" in the playoffs.

Elite QBs can cover for meh OL's. That's a fact. Do they always? Nope. But Brady, Wilson, Manning, Newton, Roethlisberger etc etc have consistently made life a lot easier on their OL's throughout their careers 

15 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Elite QBs can cover for meh OL's. That's a fact. Do they always? Nope. But Brady, Wilson, Manning, Newton, Roethlisberger etc etc have consistently made life a lot easier on their OL's throughout their careers 

That's true, they do. It usually comes to a abrupt stop against great D's though. Our 2015 D was  a great example.

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

Manning could have had the best offensive line in history and wouldn’t have won more Super Bowls. It was the lack of great defense that was his problem. I honestly don’t think a good OL can even stop a good D in this NFL. 

14 hours ago, AKRNA said:

@AKRNA is right on this one.  We won the Super Bowl because we destroyed the LOS for teams.  The only teams that could compete with us had athletic grinders on the Oline and skill positions in the trenches.

34 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Manning could have had the best offensive line in history and wouldn’t have won more Super Bowls. It was the lack of great defense that was his problem. I honestly don’t think a good OL can even stop a good D in this NFL. 

Both of them are the key.  Elway has desperately tried to bolster our O-Line through patchwork, etc.  I belive that speding money on the 10 men on both sides of the ball that set everything is the best strategy in the world.  Nelson, Chubb, Hernandez, McGlinchey, Brown, Davenport, Isaiah Wynn, Vita Vea.  We need these guys so badly relative to everything else to get back on track.

Archived