Cody Latimer Signs with NYG. So what does this mean for our need at WR?

BaldyBronco

3 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Penny is on my list you see he has more yards with less blocking than Barkley? Him or the guy from oregon would be awesome for us.

San Diego State churns our RBs with great stats every year, they know how to run the football as well as any NCAA team.

Just now, broncos67 said:

His level of competition is also significantly lower than Barkley playing in the B1G. 

Royce Freeman is a different story. I like him a lot. Renck and Klis have floated his name too. He's definitely on our board.

Yea but Hunts competition was bad too. A wise man told me the cream rises to the top. Hows penny's 3 cone and short area quickness? If he can win in a phone booth got to consider him right?

42 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

To be clear, I’m not even stating an opinion about Sanders there. I am talking about things that have actually happened that refute the idea that he is some model professional for young players to aspire to. Yes, he’s a baller and a tireless worker but a leader? His actions show he isn’t one. He’ll never be kept for any intangibles like that anyway, they will only put up with him if he can still ball. When the quickness is gone, he’ll be a free agent. 

I think he is very well liked in the locker room.  If we are being honest here, I want to a Nate Raitliffe and The Nightsweats concert and could not answer the bell the next morning and am sure it was the flu.  And I got a divorce in real life.  So maybe this buttercup just needs to suck it up.

He certainly has a role on this team given the options.  Sorry for getting my fellings hurt. :*) Not trying to be soft. 

1 minute ago, thebestever6 said:

I'm a ben Albright respect guy and he said Barkley doesn't show power to be a top 5 rb. Yes power is overrated in today's game but a top 5 pick I want the guy to do it all.

He has the profile to be a powerful runner with his frame. I just think he often played to the level of competition and tried to make a big play on every run. He will have to adapt that style to the 3-4 yard realities of the NFL but I don't see why he can't. 

2 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

He has the profile to be a powerful runner with his frame. I just think he often played to the level of competition and tried to make a big play on every run. He will have to adapt that style to the 3-4 yard realities of the NFL but I don't see why he can't. 

True, I'm  a value guy though say freeman or Penny  is 80% of what barkley can be is that not ideal? You can't go broke taking a profit.

10 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I would probably value Barkley and Hernandez over Nelson and Chubb, for example. Although it's close. I think Hernandez is closer to Nelson than some of the other backs are to Barkley, especially in terms of their ability to contribute quickly. 

To be honest, both guard and RB are not particularly strong positional value at #5 overall, but for me, RB inches out guard a bit. If it was RB vs. tackle, give me tackle every day. I'd almost prefer Bradley Chubb at this point just because of how highly I think of him as a player. 

Anyway, since this is a WR thread, I'm also not discounting the possibility of a WR much earlier than expected. One or both of Sanders/DT were nearly out the door this year. No reason to believe they'll for sure be around long-term, especially Sanders given his contract situation.

There are some interesting WR's in the 2nd and 3rd Round.  I would think that the trade back scenarios make the WR conversation very intriguing. 

12 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

True, I'm  a value guy though say freeman or Penny  is 80% of what barkley can be is that not ideal? You can't go broke taking a profit.

I’m not sure those guys, or any of the other RBs, can dictate what a defense does the way Barkley can. I see a lot of good, productive starters but we had that with CJ. If there are any who can immediately become a centerpiece for our offense, someone a defense has to zero in on all the time, available past the first round, I’m all for it. 

16 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I'm a ben Albright respect guy and he said Barkley doesn't show power to be a top 5 rb. Yes power is overrated in today's game but a top 5 pick I want the guy to do it all.

I like Allbright, but was always of the opinion he was most knowledgeable about QBs, not across the board. I think it's a legitimate concern with Barkley, but almost screams of someone trying to be contrarian. I live in PA, all my friends went to PSU, Fiancee is a PSU alum, I can say with confidence I've seen enough PSU and Saquon for a lifetime. He's special. He's unlike nearly any college player I've seen thus far. I think some of the criticism isn't warranted- he likely shied away from taking too much of a beating because of his criticality to PSU.

Just now, BroncoBruin said:

I’m not sure those guys, or any of the other RBs, can dictate what a defense does the way Barkley can. I see a lot of good, productive starters but we had that with CJ. If there are any who can immediately become the guy defenses need fo zero in on available past the first round, I’m all for it. 

IMO, the one guy who can reasonably do that is Guice if he falls to Round 2. I'm not sure some of these other guys offer anything close to what Barkley does.

Allbright is great as a low key “insider” type he has great contacts in the league and tends to be very accurate in his reporting, often beating team mouthpiece Klis to break Broncos stories, but, he’s not great as a film guy. He said Tannehill and Geno Smith were two of the best QB prospects in years. 

And beyond Saquon as a nightmare matchup in the passing game, it’s the perfect time to get back to a power run game as an offensive focal point featuring a workhorse. The defenses are so fast and there are so many talented defensive backs and pass rushers, the spread advantage for offenses just isn’t what it was a decade ago. I’d love to see an interior of Leary, Paradis and Hernandez beat up on smaller, quicker fronts in the run game while Barkley comes downhill repeatedly. 

2 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

Dude that game almost killed me.  Biggest let down sports wise of my life, the Seattle Superbowl is close but I was so drunk after that game started going south that I honestly don't remember much of it

There’s still holes on the insides of my garage door from that game! 

As a veteran member here (joined 2006) I think we need to stick to football and not make things personal. What happened with Emmanuel is what it is, I wish him and his family all the best, and if it was a bad situation I don’t think it’s our place to pass judgement. By all accounts he seems like a great guy that is loved by front office as well as his teammates. He was also a critical piece on the Super Bowl 50 team. Let’s drop it and talk football. 

Archived