What Could Have Been?

AkronsWitness

Tim Couch

Probably would’ve been one of the best ever had he not been picked by an expansion team. The guy never had a chance to succeed. 

Anthony Thomas

The A Train just never got going again for whatever reason. Dude was an absolute beast his rookie year though. 

On 5/30/2018 at 11:47 PM, Nabbs4u said:

You do realize Cunningham's best years in Minnesota was in another version of a WCO with Brian Billick right? Randall like a Young Mike Vick wasn't ready or expected to "Play QB" in a traditional manner. They both were so gifted as runners, OC basically abandoned their playbooks and wanted them to be athletes first. Both in Philly and Atlanta. If anything their OC did them a disservice by not demanding more despite their gifts.

Big difference in both as they got older and asked to do more.

Vick as a Eagle

Randall as a Viking

• The '98 Vikings RBs were targeted 74 times in 545 attempts - 13.6%
  • The '95 Eagles targeted RBs 125 times in 496 attempts - 25.2%
  • The '95 SF 49ers targeted the RBs 176 times in 644 attempts - 27.3%

Two of those offenses were coached and play called as a WCO. One was clearly not.

• The 2010 Eagles were mostly still AR WCO (126 targets to RBs in 561 attempts - 22.5%) but Vick also had the freedom to run 100 times.
    • Also, Vick was 30 in 2010 while Cunningham was 35 in 1998

Green and Billick were smart offensive minds. Ryan,  Kotite and Rhodes were offensive morons.

Favre had 1 non-winning season in his first 13 years in Green Bay. Rhodes was his clueless coach that year.

Chucky was told to fit system to player immediately and it failed badly. What they got out of a QB who had league MVP level seasons in 1990 and 1998 was diddly squat in 1995.

Rhodes got a 21 points / 25 yards ranked offense led by an 8 TD 14 pick Rodney Peete.

Peete, Hoying, and a pair of Detmers later and Rhodes was out on his butt and it was Andy Reid time.

I'd still love to have seen Cunningham with someone like Marv Levy or Don Shula playing to his strengths.

2 hours ago, SkippyX said:
  • The '98 Vikings RBs were targeted 74 times in 545 attempts - 13.6%
  • The '95 Eagles targeted RBs 125 times in 496 attempts - 25.2%
  • The '95 SF 49ers targeted the RBs 176 times in 644 attempts - 27.3%

Two of those offenses were coached and play called as a WCO. One was clearly not.

• The 2010 Eagles were mostly still AR WCO (126 targets to RBs in 561 attempts - 22.5%) but Vick also had the freedom to run 100 times.
    • Also, Vick was 30 in 2010 while Cunningham was 35 in 1998

Green and Billick were smart offensive minds. Ryan,  Kotite and Rhodes were offensive morons.

Favre had 1 non-winning season in his first 13 years in Green Bay. Rhodes was his clueless coach that year.

Chucky was told to fit system to player immediately and it failed badly. What they got out of a QB who had league MVP level seasons in 1990 and 1998 was diddly squat in 1995.

Rhodes got a 21 points / 25 yards ranked offense led by an 8 TD 14 pick Rodney Peete.

Peete, Hoying, and a pair of Detmers later and Rhodes was out on his butt and it was Andy Reid time.

I'd still love to have seen Cunningham with someone like Marv Levy or Don Shula playing to his strengths.

I'm failing to understand what targeted RB has to do with calling a "WCO"? Those numbers are inflated because Waters, Loville (82 rec), Floyd (47) were better receiving options then Robert Smith. The Vikings had 4 legit WR/TE that ate up the majority of Cunningham's targets. That's all.

I'm not disagreeing that the Eagles Coaching Staff in general was crap but there was a monumental difference between a young Cunningham and the older 98' version. One was expected and open to playing the QB position properly (98') the other asked  to Run around like a Athlete (90's Eagles). Billick However did run a WCO. His version but WC none the less. Just as he did with the Ravens.

On 3/21/2018 at 10:46 AM, valkrei said:

I never believed in Ryan Leaf but might be able to add him.

Seriously, the best thing for Leaf would have been to go back to school in 1998 (he had one more year of eligibility left).

Then, I honestly think it would have been good for him for some of his immaturity to come to the surface (so he drops to the late first round or second).

If he goes to a better team where he could develop, he may have had a better career. He wasn't ready to be the face of a franchise in 1998.

Archived