What Could Have Been?

AkronsWitness

On 3/19/2018 at 7:16 PM, August4th said:

Kendrell Bell

I think he could of been the face of the steelers defense during the 00's if it wasn't for injuries

If Kendrell Bell had never gotten hurt, Larry Foote never would have gotten an opportunity to start for the Steelers. I'm not saying Foote was as good as Bell, but I don't think it would have made that much of a difference for the Steelers.

On 3/19/2018 at 8:31 PM, J-ALL-DAY said:

NaVorro Bowman. 

He arguably should have won the DPOY in 2013 and looked like he was heading towards Canton.....and then he completely shreds his knee against Seattle and hasn't been the same since. The one year where he close to his old self, he tears his Achilles. 

Without that injury, the 49ers manage to keep one of the major pieces that led to their complete collapse talent wise a few years ago.  He would be well on his way to a hall of fame career without those two injuries. 

On 3/19/2018 at 9:11 PM, howru8888 said:

Bo Jackson. Sky was the absolute limit but that injury god damn what could have been

The only thing between Bo Jackson and GOAT status would have been the number of carries.

On 3/19/2018 at 11:21 PM, Jeezla said:

Kevin White

Jordan Hicks aka Sean Lee 2.0

Biggest one though is Mark Herzlich. He was a beast before cancer

Josh Gordon and Justin Blackmon also come to mind

Mark Herzlich probably would still have been a New York Giant, but I expect as a first round draft pick instead of UDFA. 

Josh Gordon would have been the next T.O., but the Browns have been so bad, I don't think it would have mattered.  It's entirely possible they are in the exact same spot even with Josh Gordon. 

As for Justin Blackmon, I think is a much bigger impact.  If he never gets suspended, I expect he would have developed into the elusive "true number one receiver", which certainly would have helped the development of Blake Bortles.  Even without the #3 overall pick in 2014, I expect the Jaguars would be able to draft Bortles without trading up.  On the other hand, the 2014 draft is probably a lot different for the Jaguars without Blackmon.  I would expect they don't select at least one of the two second round receivers, possibly both.  Who they draft instead  and where the receivers they originally selected end up is anyone's guess. 

On 3/20/2018 at 12:03 AM, Sugashane said:

Tommie Harris was the best 3T in the NFL (IMO) but fell off a cliff due to injuries

Henry Melton was a pass rushing beast for a while before injuries

Johnny Knox was becoming one of the best deep threats in the NFL, not a true number one but his speed was elite.

Cutler was demonized by the media, but we ruined him in Chicago with garbage coaching and staff. By the time we had talent around him and some semblance of an offensive scheme, he was a ruined product.

I think you're overestimating how good Knox would ave been.  I expect he would have had a Kenny Still kind of career.  JMO though. 

As for Cutler, paging @BroncoSojia

On 3/20/2018 at 12:11 AM, DontTazeMeBro said:

Aldon Smith 

Shawne Merriman

Bob Sanders

Albert Haynesworth

Justin Blackmon

Victor Cruz

Theres probably a ton of guys that actually did have pretty good careers but could’ve been great if they had worked harder. Idk how hard of a worker Mario Williams was but the way he fell off the face of the earth after he got the big contract with Buffalo and retired fairly young gives me assumptions 

Like Bowman, not losing Smith would have certainly helped stem the tide during the talent purge the 49ers endured.  He was well on his way to continuing his dominant ways in 2013 and I have no doubt that would have continued.  At least until Justin Smith retired.  I think that would have halved Aldon's numbers, but you're still talking about someone getting 7-9 sacks a year. 

Shawne Merriman would have been a perrenial pro bowler for the Chargers and possibly a hall of famer.  However, I don't think the Chargers would have ever gotten past the New England Patriots with or without Merriman. 

If Bob Sanders had remained healthy, I think Peyton Manning could have won a second ring with the Indianapolis Colts.  However, they also would have won enough games that they would not have been in a position to draft Andrew Luck or RG3.  That means the Colts end up with either Trent Richardson and Matt Kalil.  Given the Vikings lack of need of a running back at that stage combined with the Colts interest in trading for Richardson shortly thereafter, I think it's safe to say which direction the Colts would have gone.  So while Peyton Manning would likely win a second ring at some point with Bob Sanders, once we reach 2012, he doesn't leave for the Broncos and he doesn't anything of relevance from that point on.  Neither do the Broncos despite their defense. 

Albert Haynesworth.... after seeing what happened the last two years after Muhammad Wilkerson got his long term deal, I think Haynesworth was inevitable. 

Victor Cruz you can't just look at by himself.  If the Giants hadn't lost Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks to an unending number of injuries, they have a better 2013 but likely never draft Odell Beckham Jr.  They're also probably significantly better, meaning they end up with either Juwaun James, Xavier Su'a-Filo or Joel Bitonio in 2014.  OBJ I would expect would either end up In Miami (probably not the best place for him, but it would have been nice if the Dolphins could have drafted both LSU receivers) or New Orleans. 

On 3/20/2018 at 12:52 PM, Elky said:

Aaron Hernandez.

If Aaron Hernandez doesn't get involved with.... ya know, I think that might have been enough to push the Patriots over the edge and beat the Broncos in the 2015 playoffs. 

On 3/20/2018 at 1:05 PM, Chops013 said:

Definitely Justin Blackmon.

It bums me to think that I never got to see a WR group of Allen Robinson, Justin Blackmon, Allen Hurns, and Marqise Lee play together.

I don't think that group would have ever existed.  Sorry. 

On 3/20/2018 at 4:38 PM, areksoo said:

Robert Edwards.

He probably wouldn't have been an all time great.... maybe even fizzled after a few years, but someone who makes the Pro Bowl with 1,400 all purpose yards and 12 TDs as a rookie... then that stupid beach flag football game

If Robert Edwards hadn't suffered that injury, I doubt they ever trade for Corey Dillon.  I wonder where Dillon would have ended up.  The emergence of Rudi Johnson made Dillon completely superfluous in Cincinnati, so they probably would have traded him to someone..... but not New England.

On 3/20/2018 at 5:39 PM, EL Guapo said:

I thought David Wilson had a chance to be really good

I disagree.  He had a couple of very impressive games, but overall his NFL career reminded me of Trung Candidate. 

On 3/22/2018 at 12:53 PM, SeanTayorsaPIMP said:

A few I haven't seen posted yet:

Charles Rogers WR Lions (Started out hot before getting injured 5 games into his rookie year)

Tommie Harris DT Bears (knee injuries derailed his promising career)

Chris Borland LB 49ers (Retired after one year)

Keith Rivers LB Bengals (Hines Ward hit)

Rolando McClain LB Raiders (off-field issues)

Charles Rogers being a member of the Matt Millen era Detroit Lions probably never realizes his Randy Moss like upside. 

Tommie Harris probably extends Lovie Smith's career in Chicago.

Chris Borland is probably an steady but unspectacular linebacker.  Rolando McClain would be above average, maybe make the pro bowl once. 

9 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Terrell Davis - ACL

Sterling Sharpe - Neck

Tony Boselli -Shoulder

Ernie Davis - Tragedy

Lavarr Arrington - Career went down after his knee injury

Andre Wadsworth - Knee

Rae Carruth - Obvious

David Boston - Minus PEDs

Courtney Brown - Mr Glass

Charles Rogers - Minus the weed

Robert Edwards - Knee

Tim Couch - If he had a line

Darrell Russell - Minus the weed

If Terrell Davis doesn't get hurt, he's a first ballot hall of famer and arguably the GOAT.  Unfortunately, given how well Denver ran the ball after he got hurt, I don't think he would have been enough to win them a lombardi with Brian Griese.  It would have been amazing to watch though.  I wonder if they would have still drafted Clinton Portis though. 

You know I once heard how every great quarterback has a hall of fame receiver receiver to throw to, except Brett Favre.  This was supposed to be an argument against Favre.  I don't get it and I'm not going to pretend that I do.  My point is, Sterling Sharpe would have been Favre's hall of fame receiver.  I'm not sure if Elway wins that ring in 2007 if Favre has Sterling Sharpe to throw to.  On the other hand, if the Packers have Sterling Sharpe, do they still draft Antonio Freeman?  If not, maybe the Broncos still do win in '97. 

Tony Boselli - I don't remember if the Jaguars were in rough enough shape cap wise that they would have let Boselli leave in the expansion draft.  Either way, things are probably better for the Texans.  Either they get Boselli or they don't get Boselli and act accordingly.  Maybe if the Texans didn't get Tony Boselli, maybe they would have made more of an effort to build up their offensive line early on for David Carr. 

David Boston - Ooh, this is an interesting one.  I was one of the very very few people who was of the opinion that the Chargers should not draft a quarterback in 2004.  I thought Drew Brees got a raw deal in 2003 and I thought his lack of receivers and terrible offensive line were the cause of his troubles.  I thought the Chargers were better off drafting either Robert Gallery or Larry Fitzgerald.  But if David Boston never has his run in with PED's, he's a top five NFL receiver at that point.  Now, do I think that would have been enough to prevent the Chargers from getting the number one pick?  Yes I do.  Do I think it would have been enough to prevent the Chargers from drafting a quarterback?  No I don't. They were enamored with Phillip Rivers and I think they still get him, only I think they select him instead of swapping quarterbacks with the Giants.  However, this is where it gets muddier.  The reason Drew Brees was able to turn his career around in San Diego is because Phillip Rivers held out allowing Brees to win the starting job.  If Rivers gets selected later, he's entitled to a smaller contract and maybe he doesn't hold out at all.  So question 1: What becomes of Drew Brees?  He's had a better 2003 than he did in reality, but he might be stuck as the backup to Phillip Rivers in 2004.  If Brees starts, he's probably having a better season than he ended up having in reality, with an emerging Antonio Gates at TE and an elite WR in David Boston.  If Rivers starts, he's probably establishing himself immediately with that offense and Brees is the backup. 

In either case, the Chargers can't draft Shawne Merriman, so it's entirely possible that they draft Justin Tuck round 2 instead of Vincent Jackson.   I mean, they have an elite RB, elite WR and elite TE.  Where Vincent Jackson goes is anyone's guess.  Maybe Tennessee? 

Question 2: If Brees does start for the Chargers in 2004, do the Chargers try to trade Rivers?  In 2006, the decision which QB the Chargers would go with was basically already made. Brees was a free agent and Phillip Rivers had an untradeable contract.  They were going with Rivers whether they liked it or not.  But what if they selected Rivers later?  8th or 9th or 10th?  Then they can afford to trade him and re-sign Brees. 

Question 3: If Brees does not start for the Chargers in 2004, does he ever develop into the top ten all time QB he currently is, and if he doesn't start, what team does he leave to go play for in 2006?  Still the Saints? 

Tim Couch - They were the Browns.  He was doomed. 

Darrell Russell - Don't know.  Russell wasn't actually suspended in 2000, so unless you think the weed made him stop trying, I don't think not getting suspended would have prevented his drop off. 

9 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Andrew Luck...

Would have saved Ryan Grigson's job. 

While I'm here, let me propose a few.

What if Willis McGahee had never tore his ACL against Ohio State?

What if Plaxico Burress never shot himself in the leg? 

What if Greg Cook (Bill Walsh's favorite QB) had not gotten injured?

What if Jim Harbaugh doesn't leave San Francisco? 

Do the Steelers win a Superbowl this year if Ryan Shazier doesn't get hurt? 

12 hours ago, Crickett said:

I think you're overestimating how good Knox would ave been.  I expect he would have had a Kenny Still kind of career.  JMO though. 

Knox had 2 years of over 18 ypc (out of his brief 3 years) with no number one, a poor WR corps around him, and inept coaching. Desean Jackson has topped 18 ypc 3 times over his 10 years so I stand by the deep threat claim. He could have become a solid number two IMO, but never should be a number one. He is the guy who takes the top off the defense so your number one can own the intermediate. 

Still want to know what would have happen if Kenny Britt never tore his ACL in 2011. He looked well on his way to a pro bowl, maybe even All Pro season before he tore it(17 catches, 289 yards, 3 TDs in 2.5 games). He never truly recovered from that point.

Always wonder if he would have been one of the top WR's today if he never tore his knee. One of my biggest personal what if's.

On 5/19/2018 at 12:44 PM, MidSouthRam said:

Years ago the Cardinals had a TE named JV Cain that was coming into his own and about to go off, only to die in training camp.

He was behind Jackie Smith for a few years before he left for Dallas in 1978 (only to go down in infamy in SB 13).

On 5/19/2018 at 1:23 AM, Crickett said:

What if Willis McGahee had never tore his ACL against Ohio State?

He may have been a top-3 pick in 2003 if it wasn't for that (after the Bengals took Carson Palmer, the Lions or Texans may have ended up with him).

16 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

He may have been a top-3 pick in 2003 if it wasn't for that (after the Bengals took Carson Palmer, the Lions or Texans may have ended up with him).

I remember seeing mock drafts that had the Texans taking McGahee at #3 prior to that injury.  The Lions would never have taken him ahead of home town prospect Charles Rogers.  But here are the issues if the Texans take McGahee:

1. If McGahee goes #3, where does Andre Johnson get selected?  Does his availability cause the Cardinals to turn down the rather lucrative trade offered by New Orleans? 

2. If Andre Johnson goes #6 to the Cardinals, where does Jonathan Sullivan get selected?  And what do the Saints do with #17, #18 and #54 selections?  Given how big of a bust Sullivan was, even if the Saints ended up with Jimmy Kennedy (also a bust) or William Joseph (also a bust), I would have to think they would at least hit with one or both of their picks which effects their long term outlook. 

3. If Sullivan does go #6, does Andre Johnson begin to go into free fall? 

4. If McGahee isn't there at #23, who do the Bills take?  With Travis Henry still on the roster, they probably go in another direction.

5. Where do Calvin Pace, Bryant Johnson and Anquan Boldin end up? 

6. Having not selected a wide receiver in the first round, do the Texans go WR in round 2 instead of TE Bennie Joppru?  There were a bunch of wide receivers available at that stage, although the only ones of merit were Anquan Boldin and Nate Burleson. If they select someone like Tyrone Calico, maybe Calico's career doesn't get cut way short by injuries.  

7. Having selected a running back #3, who do the Texans select round 4 and what becomes of Dominick Davis/Williams?

8. McGahee was a phenomenal running back for Miami and certainly worthy of a top five selection, but what kind of career does he have behind what is arguably one of if not the worst offensive line of all time?  Especially without Andre Johnson to take some of the pressure off.   

Couple more for the Chiefs

Sylvester Morris - Promising Rookie year until injury struck.

Glenn Dorsey - Actually played for awhile, that knee injury in college did him in, moreso than the scheme change.

Larry Johnson - Attitude/the amount of touches.  Sometimes I forget how much of a freak this guy was.

Archived