Kirk Cousins Stuff

Woz

14 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

I sure hope when I wake up tomorrow and go directly to nfl.com, that I read...

"BREAKING....Skins Tag Cousins....again"!

otherwise, Bruce Allen should just fire himself.

I think its his only saving grace.

:/ I don't think we are tagging anymore , it's fine dude .

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I would consider Denver over the Jets personally.  I wouldn’t want to deal with that media.  Minny would be a great choice too, plus you might get a chance to screw the redskins in the playoffs.

Is it possible we’ve given him permission to talk to other teams in order to stir up trade interest?

Oh, I’m totally with you on NY. Especially the Jets. Count me out in terms of actually going there. But they’ve got a gazillion bucks in cap room, and they’re desperate. I could see them offering a silly huge contract, so I would want to keep them in the mix until the end — just to leverage their offers against the team(s) he actually wants to go to.

If I’m Cousins, I’ve already decided without much hesitation that as long as Minnesota comes with a contract I can live with, that’s where I’m going. But I still want to get as much from them as I can — so if they drag their feet, I want to have the Jets in the mix so I can take their (probably much larger) contract offer to the Vikings. And say “look guys, I want to be a Viking. I’m even willing to give you a discount, but you gotta at least play ball. I have an offer from the Jets of X dollars over Y years with Z dollars guaranteed. You need to move closer to that or else I’m gonna have to start re-thinking this.”

If he narrows it to just the Vikings, or the Vikings plus a comparatively cap-strapped team like the Broncos, he probably loses the option to force MIN to bid against the super mega contract offer a team like the Jets could make. And the Jets are at least close enough to respectable (unlike some other cap-flush teams like the Browns) that the Vikings could reasonably believe he might go there. So I think they’re a great team to keep in the “finalist” mix — not because he would want to go there, just because they put the most pressure on the Vikings.

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Is it possible we’ve given him permission to talk to other teams in order to stir up trade interest?

That would be very interesting.

I’ve said from the outset of the “Skins might franchise Cousins” discussion that the sort of prisoner’s dilemma outcome (cooperate-cooperate) would be for the Skins to tag him, let him work out his deal, and then trade him for some reasonable compensation. Which appears to be exactly what MIA is doing with Landry, for example. Everybody gets a solid outcome there — he gets to go where he wants, his new team gets their franchise QB, we get a late 3rd/early 4th round pick or something as compensation for his departure.

That’s been considered a little far-fetched bc we don’t have a ton of leverage there. But if we agreed to allow him to meet with teams and negotiate and reach terms well before FA — maybe that would be enough to get him to agree to a tag with the understanding that we’d trade him to the team he chose for some small compensation? 

Problem is that I think the tag deadline is tomorrow. So this would have to come together very quickly now, or else our window will be closed for good on him.

21 minutes ago, e16bball said:

That would be very interesting.

I’ve said from the outset of the “Skins might franchise Cousins” discussion that the sort of prisoner’s dilemma outcome (cooperate-cooperate) would be for the Skins to tag him, let him work out his deal, and then trade him for some reasonable compensation. Which appears to be exactly what MIA is doing with Landry, for example. Everybody gets a solid outcome there — he gets to go where he wants, his new team gets their franchise QB, we get a late 3rd/early 4th round pick or something as compensation for his departure.

That’s been considered a little far-fetched bc we don’t have a ton of leverage there. But if we agreed to allow him to meet with teams and negotiate and reach terms well before FA — maybe that would be enough to get him to agree to a tag with the understanding that we’d trade him to the team he chose for some small compensation? 

Problem is that I think the tag deadline is tomorrow. So this would have to come together very quickly now, or else our window will be closed for good on him.

We probably make a last push today before the deadline over .

12 hours ago, e16bball said:

I know if I was Cousins, MIN and NYJ would have been the two I’d have kept in it till the end. Because I would want to go to MIN and because I’d want to use NYJ as the team to put a huge offer on the table that I could use to leverage more money out of MIN. 

Except why remove Denver from the game at this point? I get Arizona being taken off the table (unfortunately for them, they look to be starting the downslide), but why not just lower it from 4 to 3?

Is this Denver perhaps trying to extricate themselves from the negotiations so they can draft their guy at 5?

11 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

I sure hope when I wake up tomorrow and go directly to nfl.com, that I read...

"BREAKING....Skins Tag Cousins....again"!

otherwise, Bruce Allen should just fire himself.

I think its his only saving grace.

1. You don't need to wait until tomorrow morning. The deadline is 4PM Eastern today.
  2. It. Is. Not. Happening.

1 minute ago, Woz said:

Except why remove Denver from the game at this point? I get Arizona being taken off the table (unfortunately for them, they look to be starting the downslide), but why not just lower it from 4 to 3?

Is this Denver perhaps trying to extricate themselves from the negotiations so they can draft their guy at 5?

Denver's gotta go with a vet IMO.  They recently spent a first round pick on a QB who looks like a bust, I don't see how they can take another one.  Honestly I think Case Keenum would be a good fit for them.  

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Denver's gotta go with a vet IMO.  They recently spent a first round pick on a QB who looks like a bust, I don't see how they can take another one.  Honestly I think Case Keenum would be a good fit for them.  

Fair enough.

However, I think they'd go with Bridgewater(*) over Keenum (that way, if Lynch looks good, they can have him jump over Bridgewater without having the comparisons to the guy who led the Vikings to the NFC Championship game last year).

(*) Assuming he's a free agent. Has there been any resolution on that front?

1 minute ago, Woz said:

Fair enough.

However, I think they'd go with Bridgewater(*) over Keenum (that way, if Lynch looks good, they can have him jump over Bridgewater without having the comparisons to the guy who led the Vikings to the NFC Championship game last year).

(*) Assuming he's a free agent. Has there been any resolution on that front?

Wouldn't the Vikings have had to assign the 5 year option on him?  I think that deadline has passed.  Bridgewater will be a FA.  

59 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Wouldn't the Vikings have had to assign the 5 year option on him?  I think that deadline has passed.  Bridgewater will be a FA.  

The question is whether his contract tolled or not due to him being on the PUP list this season. Given the wording of the CBA, it's unclear if he actually accrued a season of eligibility and thus would still be under Minnesota's control.

Just now, Woz said:

The question is whether his contract tolled or not due to him being on the PUP list this season. Given the wording of the CBA, it's unclear if he actually accrued a season of eligibility and thus would still be under Minnesota's control.

AJ McCarron just won a ruling on this, I would assume it would set precedent for Bridgewater.

42 minutes ago, Woz said:

Seems that's been decided. 

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Bolt/Teddy-Bridgewater-contract-will-not-toll-into-2018-115617433

3 hours ago, Woz said:

I agree, not sure why he would be removing teams from the mix. Although if Arizona is getting the boot, I’d do the same with Denver — the end is here for them, in my view. And they might be the worst case scenario for Cousins, in that they’d be hoping for him to come in to a dying offense and be a savior. And he isn’t that. 

But like you say, there’s no sense in removing teams from your list until March 14. I guess he wants to have the decision made well in advance for some reason. But it’s pretty clear that that reason isn’t to help the Redskins in any way, so I doesn’t really matter to us I guess. 

I’d just like to see him and his new team penalized if they broke any rules. Threatening the Redskins with a grievance really rubbed me the wrong way, so I’d like to stick it to him if we can. 

Archived