(?) Players to Target in Trades Back into the 1st Round

Mind Character

10 minutes ago, Fofsadness said:

6. Roquan Smith, LB Georgia (Low Likelihood): When there are multiple LB1, 1st round prospects available in a given draft (Tremaine Edmunds LB Va Tech, Rashaan Evans, LB Alabama, Leighton Vander Esch LB Boise State, Lorenzo Carter LB Georgia), someone always gets the short end of the stick. While Roquan Smith is thought to be a great player, he is undersized and less "body beautiful" relative to the physical and athletic freak multiple LB1 prospects in the draft. Will another team choose the bigger, stronger, faster, longer, athletes when their impacts are similar? Even more, LB is not a premium position teams like to spend 1st round picks on given the ability to find competent and impact LBs much later in the draft. So, if in reality 3 teams are willing to go LB in Round 1, Edmunds, Vander Esch, and Evans may be higher on those teams boards. If so, although not a need position for us with Kirksey, Collins, and Schobert, Roquan is a premium player with rare abilities and next level leadership that would be an upgrade over an already solid Joe Schobert. Would we pass on such a player if they're available?

No way Smith gets past the top 15...

We better hope that Smith or Edmunds don't fall out of the Top 15 because Ozzie Newsome is not dumb enough to pass on that kind of talent. He'd pair them next to Mosley and form the next elite Baltimore defense.

Smith and Edmunds are the only two backers I would entertain drafting this year. It will take a trade back from #4 or a hefty trade up from #33. Either way I think both guys a long gone by pick 10.

1 hour ago, TheeRealDeal said:

I beg to differ

Great post when you earn one of my precious digital footballs for today. Minus Rashaan Evans and the center position (since we're bringing in a rookie number one pick, I'd like to bring in a franchise center to go with him. JC Tretter's contract has no more guarantees after this year, and he's always honestly been just a guy. I consider him a low-level starter or Elite back up, but that shouldn't stand in our way of drafting a franchise Center in a very deep center draft), I am in lockstep with all of your assessments. 

I'm glad we don't need a safety high as well. 

As far as trading up, it all depends on the board. I'd be fine with trading up for one of our guys at CB (not so sure Ogbah can't start at penetrating UT, but it looks as if we are targeting that position). I'd also consider Bruce's idea, again, depending on the board. It'd also have to be to a team with lots of question marks to make the trade make sense.

14 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Great post when you earn one of my precious digital footballs for today. Minus Rashaan Evans and the center position (since we're bringing in a rookie number one pick, I'd like to bring in a franchise center to go with him. JC Tretter's contract has no more guarantees after this year, and he's always honestly been just a guy. I consider him a low-level starter or Elite back up, but that shouldn't stand in our way of drafting a franchise Center in a very deep center draft), I am in lockstep with all of your assessments. 

I'm glad we don't need a safety high as well. 

As far as trading up, it all depends on the board. I'd be fine with trading up for one of our guys at CB (not so sure Ogbah can't start at penetrating UT, but it looks as if we are targeting that position). I'd also consider Bruce's idea, again, depending on the board. It'd also have to be to a team with lots of question marks to make the trade make sense.

If the board falls in a way that we miss out on quality targets for #33 and cannot get a fair trade up or a deal to move down and gain future assets then I would be more than okay with Billy Price or Frank Ragnow. I'm not sold on Hernandez or James Daniels or Austin Corbett. I agree JC Tretter is just a JAG but most centers are JAGs and even still Tretter is the least of our concerns on the OL. I believe Hubbard will do very well but it is uncertain when role players leave elite teams for talent deficient teams where the elite talents aren't there to make them look so good, and Shon Coleman on the left side scares the living **** out of me. The uncertainty at OT with Hubbard, Coleman and the walking garbage can that is Donald Stephenson could very easily sink the entire Browns offense even with all the improvement they have made with Taylor and Landry. Basically I can live with Ragnow or Price but I would exhaust all options before it came to that point.

Also, I believe you just invented the term franchise center.

1 minute ago, TheeRealDeal said:

If the board falls in a way that we miss out on quality targets for #33 and cannot get a fair trade up or a deal to move down and gain future assets then I would be more than okay with Billy Price or Frank Ragnow. I'm not sold on Hernandez or James Daniels or Austin Corbett. I agree JC Tretter is just a JAG but most centers are JAGs and even still Tretter is the least of our concerns on the OL. I believe Hubbard will do very well but it is uncertain when role players leave elite teams for talent deficient teams where the elite talents aren't there to make them look so good, and Shon Coleman on the left side scares the living **** out of me. The uncertainty at OT with Hubbard, Coleman and the walking garbage can that is Donald Stephenson could very easily sink the entire Browns offense even with all the improvement they have made with Taylor and Landry. Basically I can live with Ragnow or Price but I would exhaust all options before it came to that point.

Also, I believe you just invented the term franchise center.

LOL to the bolded.

What don't you like about James Daniels? I'm no expert on assessing o-line, but he seems at or near the top of most center lists. And Billy Price would be a nice pick in the second round. I could even see grabbing someone at 64 since the center class is deep (at least five top tier guys as far as I can tell--Price, Ragnow, Daniels, Wynn, Cole). 

I have a good feeling about Hubbard being a long term answer at right tackle. And since we have Taylor at least for this year, I say we have a good look at Coleman on his rookie deal to see if we have anything there before spending a high pick next year on a tackle in a better class, if it comes to that. That's just my $0.02 on that. Super excited for tonight.

11 minutes ago, chris00cm said:

Forget Bradley Chubb, Harold Landry later would be legit after trading down from #4.

Otherwise, wouldn't trade up into the first.

I love me some Landry as well. Also, it would be cool to have to Landrys on the team. That's also why we are for sure not drafting Micah Kiser anymore.

34 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

LOL to the bolded.

What don't you like about James Daniels? I'm no expert on assessing o-line, but he seems at or near the top of most center lists. And Billy Price would be a nice pick in the second round. I could even see grabbing someone at 64 since the center class is deep (at least five top tier guys as far as I can tell--Price, Ragnow, Daniels, Wynn, Cole). 

I have a good feeling about Hubbard being a long term answer at right tackle. And since we have Taylor at least for this year, I say we have a good look at Coleman on his rookie deal to see if we have anything there before spending a high pick next year on a tackle in a better class, if it comes to that. That's just my $0.02 on that. Super excited for tonight.

I think it’s because he thinks center is the most useless player on the field. 

Btw I’m still on the Price in the second bandwagon. Or Ragnow, or Daniels. 

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

LOL to the bolded.

He's not nearly as good at the point as Ragnow or Price and he's not as good at the second level as Price, and no way in hell am I taking the 3rd best center in the draft at #33. That would be the most Cleveland Browns thing ever though honestly.

Archived