2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

18 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

@K-Ro 25

I'm not sure drafting a QB every 3-4 years is the way I want to go. 

Except we always half *** it. We use 2nd round picks on QB's. Our last 1st was Mark and before that... PENNINGTON. 

Geno, Clemens, Hack are 2nd rounders... We need to go all in.. Mayfield/Jackson or bust.

31 minutes ago, K-Ro 25 said:

Except we always half *** it. We use 2nd round picks on QB's. Our last 1st was Mark and before that... PENNINGTON. 

Geno, Clemens, Hack are 2nd rounders... We need to go all in.. Mayfield/Jackson or bust.

And then you'd want to move on from them in 4 years because you don't want to sign a QB to a big deal. That's the part I don't understand.

31 minutes ago, K-Ro 25 said:

Unless you have one, you have to go out and get one. If that means drafting one every year, you do it

1 hour ago, rdelaney89 said:

And then you'd want to move on from them in 4 years because you don't want to sign a QB to a big deal. That's the part I don't understand.

No. Not sure you get it. Kirk is going to enter Unrestricted Free Agency and the highest paid player... ever. He's a borderline top 10 QB. We haven't drafted well enough to afford paying him so much. If we were a QB away, I'd get it, but we're a young rebuilding team with flaws. I don't want to be a borderline top 10 QB to be the highest paid player ever when we're not a QB away from contending.

2 minutes ago, K-Ro 25 said:

No. Not sure you get it. Kirk is going to enter Unrestricted Free Agency and the highest paid player... ever. He's a borderline top 10 QB. We haven't drafted well enough to afford paying him so much. If we were a QB away, I'd get it, but we're a young rebuilding team with flaws. I don't want to be a borderline top 10 QB to be the highest paid player ever when we're not a QB away from contending. 

In that case it's a difference of philosophy. I think pay the QB now and I'll draft the talent with our picks. You think sign FAs to add talent to this team while using our draft picks to move up for a #3 QB. I wouldn't have a problem with either if there were better FAs available.

I just don't see how Landry/Bell + trade up for an unknown rookie QB make us that much better than signing a top 10 QB and being able to address OL and Pass Rusher in the draft. I think we stand our best chance upgrading our weakest positions as opposed to adding to a strength. 

6 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

In that case it's a difference of philosophy. I think pay the QB now and I'll draft the talent with our picks. You think sign FAs to add talent to this team while using our draft picks to move up for a #3 QB. I wouldn't have a problem with either if there were better FAs available.

I just don't see how Landry/Bell + trade up for an unknown rookie QB make us that much better than signing a top 10 QB and being able to address OL and Pass Rusher in the draft. I think we stand our best chance upgrading our weakest positions as opposed to adding to a strength. 

When you sign Cousins you limit yourself to even bring your own talent back. Cousins needs perfect surroundings to get you to playoffs. We have more holes then just OL and PR. We need 2 OL, an OLB, CB, and RB. 

Just now, K-Ro 25 said:

When you sign Cousins you limit yourself to even bring your own talent back. Cousins needs perfect surroundings to get you to playoffs. We have more holes then just OL and PR. We need 2 OL, an OLB, CB, and RB. 

You don't limit yourself though. We are going to have $90M-$100M in cap space this year. You'll be able to resign Davis, ASJ, Claiborne, Enunwa, Ealy and Catanzaro for no more than $40M. That allows you to front load his cap hits so early that you can retain your draft picks in 2020 when you are going to start resigning them.

There is no reason we won't be able to target someone like Butler to play CB. He feels slighted by the Patriots after they didn't resign him so he goes to the division rival who just acquired a top 10 QB. Now you go in and draft the best player available at Pass Rusher or LT, there are multiple at both that one should be there to take. You can then take the opposite with 2a and then Billy Price would be the next target at 2b. That puts you in round 3 where is a sweet spot for RBs. Obviously how they feel at each pick and with current players will determine the route we take but if they like Beachum for beyond his current contract then it gives us an option to put off LT. Gives us one more year to evaluate that part of the roster when a) Beachum is a FA after the year b) When the FA class of QBs could be better or c) If you are in place to draft one

I think there is a safer road map than trading up, I think it should still be plan A) Cousins B) Trade Up C) Sit and wait for any QB to fall to us. 

2 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

You don't limit yourself though. We are going to have $90M-$100M in cap space this year. You'll be able to resign Davis, ASJ, Claiborne, Enunwa, Ealy and Catanzaro for no more than $40M. That allows you to front load his cap hits so early that you can retain your draft picks in 2020 when you are going to start resigning them.

There is no reason we won't be able to target someone like Butler to play CB. He feels slighted by the Patriots after they didn't resign him so he goes to the division rival who just acquired a top 10 QB. Now you go in and draft the best player available at Pass Rusher or LT, there are multiple at both that one should be there to take. You can then take the opposite with 2a and then Billy Price would be the next target at 2b. That puts you in round 3 where is a sweet spot for RBs. Obviously how they feel at each pick and with current players will determine the route we take but if they like Beachum for beyond his current contract then it gives us an option to put off LT. Gives us one more year to evaluate that part of the roster when a) Beachum is a FA after the year b) When the FA class of QBs could be better or c) If you are in place to draft one

I think there is a safer road map than trading up, I think it should still be plan A) Cousins B) Trade Up C) Sit and wait for any QB to fall to us. 

Again, I disagree. If you're signing Cousins, he's going to decide if he wants his money front loaded or not. Some prefer it back loaded. Also, you're paying the highest salary in NFL history for a QB that is borderline top 10. We already seen what happened to Baltimore with Flacco and now Detroit with Stafford. 

The Seahawks almost won back to back when Wilson made pennies and Brady takes pay cuts. You sign Cousins, you're going to realize quickly how limited we'll be to upgrade the roster. Pass. 

Nobody said you need to trade up. One of Baker/Jackson should be avail.

54 minutes ago, K-Ro 25 said:

Again, I disagree. If you're signing Cousins, he's going to decide if he wants his money front loaded or not. Some prefer it back loaded. Also, you're paying the highest salary in NFL history for a QB that is borderline top 10. We already seen what happened to Baltimore with Flacco and now Detroit with Stafford. 

The Seahawks almost won back to back when Wilson made pennies and Brady takes pay cuts. You sign Cousins, you're going to realize quickly how limited we'll be to upgrade the roster. Pass. 

Nobody said you need to trade up. One of Baker/Jackson should be avail.

If you don't address QB in free agency I don't think they risk sitting back. I would have agreed if I thought we'd lose out but I'm not sure we pick too 10 right now.

1 hour ago, rdelaney89 said:

If you don't address QB in free agency I don't think they risk sitting back. I would have agreed if I thought we'd lose out but I'm not sure we pick too 10 right now.

At this point, I wouldn't want us to trade up for a QB. It'll likely cost both our seconds and our 1st next year. It was one thing to trade up from 5 or 6, but now it looks like we will be picking 10-15.

If we don't land Cousins or Bridgewater, I think we should sit back and wait to see how the cards get dealt. If for some crazy reason all four QBs are gone (unlikely), we can grab a LT and then get one of the second tier guys in round 2 or 3. I know we haven't had success drafting those second tier guys, but this is a deep QB draft where the second tier QBs are not that far from the 1st tier QBs. 

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

No QB this year in the draft is better than Cousins or Bridgewater. Therefor if we can’t get one of them. No sense in wasting a draft pick on a qb.

I don't agree with this at all. I think Cousins and a healthy Bridgewater should be the first targets but I see no reason to not draft a QB even if that means staying put and drafting one.

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

No QB this year in the draft is better than Cousins or Bridgewater. Therefor if we can’t get one of them. No sense in wasting a draft pick on a qb.

Lol. that's very debatable. Bridgewater is not a guarantee to be a stud.

8 hours ago, K-Ro 25 said:

I agree. He hasn’ t played in two years and wasn’t a stud when he did play. He was a good young QB that usually wouldn’t lose games but his frame, and the fact he went down with a non contact injury makes him a very questionable acquisition imo.

8 hours ago, K-Ro 25 said:

Yea I'm nowhere near comfortable with signing Bridgewater. For me he is as big of a questionmark as a rookie. Given what I saw from Teddy before his injury I'm not sure I saw enough to pass on a QB in the draft let alone what he may look like post injury. I see him staying in Minnesota with a system he knows to try and cash in after next year.

Archived